DA TDA librarian colour scheme query.

One_happy_hippy

So I have nearly finished cleaning up an old style fine cast librarian ready to lead my Deathwing Redemption force. Can not believe how bad the fine cast is, it took nearly as long to clean one model as a whole Warhound Titan, but I digress.

Obviously the standard for librarians is blue armour, however the DA codex says that they are Deathwing (and have Deathwing special rule) and makes sense that they are inner circle etc. So if he is Deathwing, in TDA then the terminator armour should be bone white.

And here lies my dilemma, do I go traditional blue armour or shall I go for Deathwing bone white armour with blue robes to designate him as a librarian?

I'm tending to the latter as I don't want it to look like I've so stuck a dirty untramoron in the midst of all of my nice Deathwing!

I painted all my Libby's blue, because they're librarians. Iirc they have DA shoulder pads too. Really it's your call. My int chaplain is black in TDA because he is a chaplain, see where Im going. I painted the DV captain in green armour, even though he is DW. Because a bone white armoured captain would not fit the power armour esthetic of the marines.

It all comes down to what you want to paint it as really.

So I have nearly finished cleaning up an old style fine cast librarian ready to lead my Deathwing Redemption force. Can not believe how bad the fine cast is, it took nearly as long to clean one model as a whole Warhound Titan, but I digress.

Obviously the standard for librarians is blue armour, however the DA codex says that they are Deathwing (and have Deathwing special rule) and makes sense that they are inner circle etc. So if he is Deathwing, in TDA then the terminator armour should be bone white.

And here lies my dilemma, do I go traditional blue armour or shall I go for Deathwing bone white armour with blue robes to designate him as a librarian?

I'm tending to the latter as I don't want it to look like I've so stuck a dirty untramoron in the midst of all of my nice Deathwing!

If you are wondering what the correct color is, it is blue.  Only actual members of the 1st Company wear bone armor, the exception accepted to be other Company Masters who don TDA (but even then it could..and perhaps should...be DA green to signify their non-1st Company standing).  Librarians are a part of the Librarium, which is a part of the Chapter's ancillary command structure, and therefore are not members of any Company.  Librarians are only ever assigned to the 1st Company.  As such they wear blue armor, always, with a bone white tabard/robe. 

Rule of cool always applies though, so paint it how you want it to be.  If you do go with blue, I would recommend not using Ultramarines Blue, but a slightly different shade of blue.  I prefer a darker shade of blue (like the old Regal Blue), as it contrasts nicely with the bone white and other detail colors.  If you want to go with bone white armor, it is also easy to justify the choice. Perhaps the Libarian was a latent psyker whose abilities were only fully "awakened" after a period of service in the Deathwing, and so he has a close connection to the 1st Company and is often seconded to the 1st Company.  As such, he wears his old armor...with a few additions.  I would go with a DA green tabard/robe instead of blue though, as the Librarian is a representative of the Chapter as a whole, but perhaps go with blue shoulderpads to highlight the Librarium connection.  Try out your paint scheme on the B&C Terminator painter to dial in your look before commiting. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/tsmp.php

mine is done in blue armor, the reasoning to me is thus:

a librarian is a proverbial ticking time bomb, he conjures the warp as a weapon the warp also happens to be the place of daemons. if say hypothetically this librarian lost his mind and started conjuring a warp storm from his blood covered skull that you being some joe average devestator have to shoot him with a lascannon and have to pick out a green/bone/black power armored individual from a bunch of other individuals in the same area with at best a guess where he might be.

librarians wear a different color all the time so you can pick them out and kill them intentionally it only makes sense that he always wear his colors all the time.

I went for the classic approach of bone armour with green robes for mine (I liked the approach in 1st edition Space Hulk and then 40k), so librarians in TDA in my army are in bone armour. Power armoured librarians are in a deep blue armour.

I've 2 Biker versions 1 is Black with blue shoulder pads the other is mostly blue I prefer the look of the Black/Blue one

I'd go with what you think looks best TBH black/blue work but not sure Bone/blue you could try some differing shades of blue or add some brown to the blue and see how far you can push the color palate. Use a piece of card to try get your shades 

I'm still really undecided and I can see the argument for going for std blue armour however;

This organisation chart:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/one_happy_hippy/Warhound/73606403-5CED-4B2A-8A16-19A8B647FF5F.jpg

Suggest they are meant to be Deathwing / inner circle and Deathwing TDA is bone white.

I have painted Azrael's power/artificer armour in bone white too.

I think I'm going to go for Deathwing colours with a blue shoulder pad and maybe blue robes to distinguish the librarian from the green robed DW and Azrael.

I'll probably change my mind another dozen times yet...

I actually liked the idea from the Book "The Lion". Where after being released from the Edict of Nikaea, the librarians just put on blue robes to mark them. That's why mine just wear blue robes.

terminator librarian

I hope you are more lucky with fine cast than I was. I often had a lot of small bubble that only showed up when I tried to paint the model.

Sometime the color flaked off after paining, even after giving it a soap bath.

That's almost exactly what I had in mind, though with green lining to the blue robe.

The fine cast is shocking, so very many tiny bubble and poor moulding. Going to have to go to town with the liquid green stuff. From doing the Titan I'm pretty sold on a car primer base coat on resin.

Think I'm going to go bone white armour and blue robes after swing that. Cheers.

I would say blue due to this simple reasoning

Chapters 3 to 10 wear green their librarians wear blue. Raven wing wear black their librarians wear blue. As such it makes sense to me that Deathwing wear bone their librarians wear blue. They stand aside from their brother marines and their armour colour demonstrates this. The same goes for chaplains and it's odd no one ever seems to ask what colour TDA chaplains should wear. I have no reference for this it just makes sense to me.

That said they're your marines so it's your choice no one will deny librarians in bone look cool

This organisation chart:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/one_happy_hippy/Warhound/73606403-5CED-4B2A-8A16-19A8B647FF5F.jpg

Why, according to your chart, is the Grand Master of the Ravenwing in charge of the Deathwing?... Or have I missed something? ph34r.png

I assume you would go black for the TDA of the Chaplain even though this chart places them next to the Librarian so I can't see how this chart would suggest that the Librarians would have bone TDA.

Of course rule of cool applies. They are your models so paint them how you want :)

I went blue for mine with a bone white pauldron.

I'm still really undecided and I can see the argument for going for std blue armour however;

Suggest they are meant to be Deathwing / inner circle and Deathwing TDA is bone white.

1st Company TDA is bone white. No other TDA is. There is a difference between being in the 1st Company and being in the Deathwing organization, as well as the Inner Circle, but not being a member of the 1st Company. You will note that all of the 1st Company and every single HQ in the army list, other than for Techmarines and Chaplains, are members of the Deathwing, meaning they know of the Fallen (and often more than just that). Look at page 11 instead, and you will see what constitutes the make-up of the 1st Company, or "The Deathwing". Note the absense of Librarians and Interrogator-Chaplains from the list.

Other than for Belial (because he is literally a member of the 1st Company), none of the HQs that are members of the Deathwing (but who are obviously not members of the 1st Company) wear bone white armor, but they do wear bone white robes/tabards. That is their "nod" to membership in the Deathwing (among other things). You will note in the uniform section of the book that there are pics of both Librarians and Interrogator-Chaplins in TDA, and both of them wear the standard armor colors of therir office, even though it is TDA. You will note that all of the painted TDA miniatures show the same. That is because Librarians and Interrogator-Chaplains both fall outside membership in the Company structure, and the blue and black armor colors are also a symbol of the special offices each holds within the Chapter. It is just that, due to their knowledge and purpose, some Librarians and Interrogator-Chaplains are attached to the 1st Company and so are listed among the forces of the Deathwing. They still wear their own armor colors though, even when wearing TDA. Also note that the shoulder pads of the TDA for these individuals is not the color of their office, nor of the Deathing, but are the color of the Chapter, as they are representatives of the overall Chapter and not the 1st Company (so they don't bear the 1st Company's bone white shoulder pad with the wings and broken sword in red).

But...as you have already painted Azrael in bone white, you might as well stick to the visual theme you have started for your forces. There are few threads where people have painted their HQs all in bone white armor - even the Librarians and Interrogator-Chaplains. Some of them do have a bit of blue or black on them as a "nod" to the special offices though, so you might choose to do that too.

Why, according to your chart, is the Grand Master of the Ravenwing in charge of the Deathwing?... Or have I missed something? ph34r.png

It is a mistake in one of the digital codexes. The printed codex is correct.

Archived