Transporting a RW army

dtse

I've made trays from Fun Foam, also known as EVA foam.  I can take some pics tonight.  If you go to your local dollar store you can find them there.  Use the 6mm type (or 1/4 inch) and you can cut them to any size you like.  Just hot glue all the pieces together. 

I am currently using the older version of the GW army case.

Bikes fit nicely in the cav size squares... or you cut out the spacer between two infantry spots.

For my speeders I did something that I have not seen anyone else do or even talk about.

I took the tank foam protion, which is a 4 inch pluck foam and pulled out the sticks like this.

Normal Speeder

_XX_

XXXX

Typhoon

XXXX

XXXX

The speeders are dropped in tail first and are held in place by the sensor fin on the bottom which slides between the pluck foam.

I kept at least 1 layer of pluck foam between the speeders

The assault cannon sticks up above the foam in the GW case, but since that case has the 1 inch egg crate top they are protected and held securely.

Not one has broken since I got that case in 4th edition.

Slight modification to this if you go with Battlefoam... get the 5 inch pluck foam.

Since battlefoam doesn't provide a cushy top, you need to make sure that the models are shorter than the foam.

The pin from the flightstands also drops in between pluck foam which leaves the base sitting flush with the top of the foam.

I was able to fit in that one block of tank foam 12 speeders (current model), 3 Metal Speeders and 2 Thunderfire Dreads (my Dreads have Thunderfire Tracks).

If I took out the metal speeders and the Dreads, I believe I could fit 4 more Speeders without much trouble.

I'll upload some pictures later tonight.

Edited by ValourousHeart

Here is a picture of what I have been using. It is the EVA foam trays. They aren't pretty or fancy but they have been working well for me. You can put sub dividers in to make individual compartments. The other drawback is that you cannot rotate the trays like you can with the Citadel boxes, nor are they as robust as the Citadel boxes. For the cost and time to make these, I find they work well for me.

med_gallery_83962_10975_748268.jpg

i own the crusader case from GW i can safely transport the following:

1600 points of infantry including 15 terminators

a standard dreadnaught

a land raider crusader (with some disassembly)

a whirlwind (with a fixed turret)

three smaller rhino chassis vehicles

and 6 bikes

to put things in lamens terms for you here the crusader case will carry likely two of your armies (if you were somehow able to clone them) with little trouble. the biggest issue is the price at 120 bucks a pop those cases are not cheap and their foam trays are of a fixed design meaning they really arent ment to be cut up with yonder box knife and instead mould around the models you put in them, in addition to containng several double stack trays for safe stowage of vehicle with wierd pointy ends and funny lines like a dark shroud (assembled) or a dark eldar raider or some of their bigger sci-fi space dingy's.

all in all im actually pretty pleased with my crusader case and recommend it if you can get beyond the gougingly bad price for the thing its at best a 100 dollar case that pretends that its worth more than it is.

Same as Aura_Enchanted: the Crusade case. 

I've been carrying 18 bikes, 12 black knights, 1 chaplain on bike, 1 librarian on bike, Sammael, 1 attack bike, a flyer, 3 speeders and a darkshroud with that case for the past few months, and I must say everything is look quite good (except my Ravenwing champion's sword, which was broken but quickly repaired...).

Speaking of the Citadel crusade case, mine broke last week (the metal pins holding the handle to the actual case flew out, never found them) and GW is sending me a new one for free...!

Battlefoam. 1750 fits in under 8" of foam (3 trays). 4 full bike sqds including attack bikes, 10 Black knights (including a cmd sqd), 3 speeders, Sammy and a bike Libby. 

Black knights should fit in std bike slots, but the banner and champion may give you problems.

Well... I got one of the Crusader Cases too. The bikes fit well in it and I like the foam divisions. I will have to cut a few to fit four Rhinos in a try. But if you are looking to transport a Ravenwing army, the Citadel cases would work well for you.

Custom you fit much more. Although my advice is to fit as much as you can in existing trays. The Ravenwing, Black Knight, and 22 bike trays all fit a ton for their size. The Dark Shroud tray I'm less sold on, as I can't imagine anyone taking that many. 2 Dark shrould/1 Dark Talon would likely be a very good, efficient use of foam.

Well I got two standard trays that together hold 32 bikes and 6 speeders and sammael and 4 attack bikes. 3" thick which is high enough for the tail wings. Then I custom a tray for dark talon, flight stand, 2 shrouds, a couple more attack bikes for total of 6, and spots for my Ezekiel and scouts. Pretty happy with that

• 1 year later...

*Hummm, humm, hummmmm*

Thread necromancy commencing!

I'd like to know if any of you have any experience with https://www.feldherr.net/fsfr090bo-90-mm-3-54-inches-foam-tray-with-15-slots-for-cavalry-or-weapon-teams-full-size/a-57412/

for storing and transporting bikes and black knights? I'm considering getting a 60mm and the mention 90mm slotted trays for better storing my bikers.

Considering the cost of most of these cases plus the foam... I still would recommend the GW Crusade case.

This case comes with 8 foam sections.
1 of those sections easily holds 6 speeders or 12 bikes based on the 75 mm oval Sector Imperialis bases or 7 Attack Bikes and Corvex all on 90 mm oval Sector Imperialis bases.
You could most likely fit 21 bikes if you are using the 70mm x 25mm standard bike bases.

For larger models, I personally have 2 of this pistol case.  Link

Currently selling for under $20, which shouldn't break the bank of anyone.

One holds 2 Imperial Knights and a Baneblade.

The other holds 3 Dark Talons, 1 Corvis Blackstar, 1 Dark Shroud,1 Land Speeder Storm, and 6 objective markers that are each the size of an attack bike.

And there is room in both cases for more.

GW case is nice yea. Holds a lot especially smaller figures or things that can lay flat. Beware of sammael sword though. Thing will snap unless you magnetize the arm. Bikes fit well if your using old school long bases but much less well if you using the new style big ovals.

Speeders fit well if you dont have that annoying aerial sticking out the bottom. And our flyers are both low profile.

I personally use the battlefoam as described above. With custom cutouts for sammael and flyers it just snuggly transports everything but is a little pricey. KR cases are nice too but after 5 minutes on their website trying to figure out what's what I gave up. But when I've seen them I've been impressed.

Just realized that I was in fact the person who started this thread way back hahaa. And now I'm giving advice. Funny.

I use KR cases for all of my Dark Angels. Their SM4 trays carry 6 Black Knights or Dark Vengeance based bikes. You can fit 8 of these (or as I more normally do, 4 of the double length SM4+SM4 trays which take 12) in a standard KR case for 48 bike slots. You can cut two bike slots into one to house an Attack Bike or model like my chaplains on bikes which hold up Croziuses.

If you have Space Marine bikes with the old bits sticking up at the back from the old Dark Angels vehicles sprue these are a bit taller and you need to use KR's SM8 trays which are two thirds the height of a standard KR case so you can only get 24 bike slots in but your're obviously left with a third of a car to put some troop trays in.

You can also get these trays combined with others which is useful. For example SM2+SM4 provides a tray for six bikes and two Rhinos that takes up a quarter of a standard KR case.

If you are collecting Ravenwing, you might also consider trays DA2 (half the height of a standard KR case) or DA3 (2/3 height) which both provide room for Sammy and nine bike slots. DA1 provides room for a Nephilim or Dark Talon - you can fit two in a standard KR case with 1/3 space for troop trays at the top. Trays SM43, SM44 and SM46 provide options for different configurations of Dark Shrouds and LS Vengeances (I use SM46 for my two Dark Shrouds at the moment). Variations of trays using SM22 and SM23 can house regular land speeders.

I normally carry my army around in a bag that takes 2 standard KR cases which I find is big enough for pretty much any 2000pt army I've yet tried.

Edited by JR-Jack

Considering the cost of most of these cases plus the foam... I still would recommend the GW Crusade case.

Thing is, the crusade case is costing the equivalent of 140$ in Denmark, and it might be good for bikers and speeders, but from what else I've heard, the GW cases aren't really great. With what might become 24 bikers in time counting both black knights and regular bikes, but is currently totalling 12 models, I'm probably not going to need an entire crusade case for my ravenwing, some of my speeders are already in feldherr storage boxes along with Sableclaw.

The main reason why I'm asking for experince with the Feldherr stuff, is that I already have 2 Transporter cases, so getting a few Medium Storage Boxes with the foam I need isn't really a big financial deal. At some point I'll probably even have to get a third Transporter, as 15000 points of DA does take up space :P