How to fight Tau soon..

Malakithe

I saw the rules for the FW one and it's 600pts LoW. Pretty much apoc only so that's good

It's not remotely Apoc only. It's just a lord of war. And 600 points is a steal. It's T9 with 10 wounds.

And who is going to play against it in a standard game?

If your playing with toys like that you go find someone who is of a like mind who has a Titan or other stuff its not suited to standard games or 6' x 4' boards

Not an apoc unit pfffff its not even Apoc light as per an imperial Knight

indeed its profile has a 10 foot range gun no matter how you slice the table up there aren't any situations where you would use that 10 feet beyond big apoc games.

And when you think on it that's not spectacular range for an apoc giant walker, the war hound can shoot all the way across a table long ways as can a warlord Titan, this thing stops short of that its coverage is still pretty wide but careful placement could mean out ranging his gun and derping him for all the damage. It's an ordinance weapon so if he moves he fires at snaps

I saw the rules for the FW one and it's 600pts LoW. Pretty much apoc only so that's good

It's not remotely Apoc only. It's just a lord of war. And 600 points is a steal. It's T9 with 10 wounds.

And who is going to play against it in a standard game?

If your playing with toys like that you go find someone who is of a like mind who has a Titan or other stuff its not suited to standard games or 6' x 4' boards

Not an apoc unit pfffff its not even Apoc light as per an imperial Knight

indeed its profile has a 10 foot range gun no matter how you slice the table up there aren't any situations where you would use that 10 feet beyond big apoc games.

And when you think on it that's not spectacular range for an apoc giant walker, the war hound can shoot all the way across a table long ways as can a warlord Titan, this thing stops short of that its coverage is still pretty wide but careful placement could mean out ranging his gun and derping him for all the damage. It's an ordinance weapon so if he moves he fires at snaps

Regular IG artillery had ranges up to 240". Range is not, and has never been, an indication of what setting the unit was designed for. In my area, people mostly only play 2500 points. That can easily fit 2 at 1200 points, with 650 points for each detachment. Highly doable.

Wouldn't taking a knight and getting it into melee kill him outright? 4 (5 on gallant) sD on the charge plus hammer of wrath almost guaranteed? Sure it's probably a suicide knight, but isn't 350 pt vs 600 points a good trade?

Instead of being instantly killed by a sucessfully wounding Strength D attack, Gargantuan Creatures take d3 wounds (see the "UNSTOPPABLE" rule under Gargantuan Creatures, p. 71 of the rulebook).  You gotta carve that turkey! :D

Wouldn't taking a knight and getting it into melee kill him outright? 4 (5 on gallant) sD on the charge plus hammer of wrath almost guaranteed? Sure it's probably a suicide knight, but isn't 350 pt vs 600 points a good trade?

Instead of being instantly killed by a sucessfully wounding Strength D attack, Gargantuan Creatures take d3 wounds (see the "UNSTOPPABLE" rule under Gargantuan Creatures, p. 71 of the rulebook). You gotta carve that turkey! :D

Oh man that's ludacris! I've actually never faced a gargantuan creature so I guessed it was similar mechanics to other vehicles

I don't know about anyone else, but the Tau player I most often face regularly fields two or three full squads of missile broadsides with gun drones. Each squad throws out enough shots to average five failed 2+ saves per turn. That is ten to fifteen termies dead to Interceptor on the turn you drop them before you get to shoot or use psychic powers. It seems to me that most Tau players are unlikely to field this thing at all due to the high p I int cost. If they are experienced Tau players who have faced Dark Angels before, you're going to be searching for ways to take out Broadsides instead, and your Deathwing are going to be next to useless.

I don't know about anyone else, but the Tau player I most often face regularly fields two or three full squads of missile broadsides with gun drones. Each squad throws out enough shots to average five failed 2+ saves per turn. That is ten to fifteen termies dead to Interceptor on the turn you drop them before you get to shoot or use psychic powers. It seems to me that most Tau players are unlikely to field this thing at all due to the high p I int cost. If they are experienced Tau players who have faced Dark Angels before, you're going to be searching for ways to take out Broadsides instead, and your Deathwing are going to be next to useless.

My old answer to broadsides was black knights and the 6th edition grenade launcher. The -1 toughness meant all the plasma talons had instant death so two units of broadsides were dying per turn. Now to get the -1 toughness I'd have to take an allied librarius conclave with biomancy which would mean one less unit of black knights if I put the conclave on bikes. The local Tau player hasn't used broadsides in a long time against me though so we will have to see what happens when the new codex drops

Ravenwing bikers without an invuln save will die in droves to this thing. AP2 off the bat + stomp.

Your main concern is just trying it up, to prevent it from shooting, correct? I'd still go with something cheaper than Terminators. You don't want to tie something down with a unit that costs just as much. 

And they don't get stomp, they get Smash, which is only 1 attack. 

Edit: My apologies, I thought we were just talking about a regular Riptide LOL. Yeah I'm pretty sure it'd just walk right over the bikers like you said. 

Archived