How do you build your Vanguards?

Sanguine_Blood

Greetings Brothers,

I have a 5 man Vanguard squad I built a little while ago that I am not happy with.

Their current format is:

Marine with Relic Blade and Magnetized hand for either inferno/grav pistol or Storm Shield.

Marine with 2 Lightning Claws

3 Marines with Bolt Pistols/Storm Shields.

All of them are magnetized to allow for power packs or jump packs, so that's a non-issue there.

I want to remodel some of these, but keep the marine with relic blade, and the marine with LCs as they are. I'd like to keep the 3 with Storm Shields so they still have the storm shields, but I don't know what I should do with the bolt pistols... should I remove them to add in Chain swords? Should I give Power weapons of some kind? 

Looking for your thoughts and criticisms

SB 

I run all my vanguards with one single power weapon, but that's because I run them in the Sanguine Wing formation. 

In general, I like stormshield vanguard to have no other upgrades. These are the guys I am going to put in the front to soak up armour ignoring wounds. I don't want to spend points putting power weapons on models that will be used as ablative wounds. I think you only need 2-3 storm shields for a 10 man unit. If you're running a 5-man unit, you may only want 1-2 storm shields, not 3-4. 

If you're going to stick with just a 5-man squad, you might want to consider putting a power sword on one of those SS models and run them like this:

Power sword or relic blade x1

power axe x1

lightning claw x1

storm shield x 2

On a side note, I'm also not a fan of double lightning claws on vanguard vets; the 15 points for one extra CC attack is just too expensive. If you're strapped for points, you may want to proxy your double LC model as a single LC model. 

Thanks for the advice. I don't really play in a super competative meta, so having a model with 2 LCs is fine. Yeah it's an extra 15pts for 1 more attack, but it's in the realm of the "rule of cool". The model with 2 LCs just looks boss.

Good point on the quantity of SS's, I'll cut one of my 3 off and mag it so if I ever go and run a 5+ unit I can have 3 SSs in it. 

Thanks!

Archived