Battlefoam trays

dtse

hey guys, any dark angels players here have experience with battlefoam?  I'm looking at custom trays, specifically, trying to trim the thickness of the trays to maximize space.

Question....how tall are the darkshrouds and speeders (without bases on)? The battlefoam standard DA tray for those is 4 inches, but I wonder if it might get trimmed to 3"?

FOr example, the tray they have for a Valkyrie is 4", but I measured mine this morning and would easily be covered by 3" tray.  Every inch counts, as she said...I mean...nvm....

If you want a custom job why not DIY? Basically all you need is a really sharp exacto knife an some upholstery foam which you can get from any craft or fabric store. Dark shroud is 3" without the shrine. Land raiders 4" without mounted weapons etc. I've found that a nephillim is 3ish without the vertical tail stabilizer laid flat on its belly.

I did a custom tray for two Dark Shrouds on a Sabol sized tray (13" x 7.75").  I included two slots for each of the statuary parts from the back of the Dark Shrouds (I didn't glue them in place); two holes for the stems of the flying bases to fit and even had room left for one space marine bike.  I made this tray 2.5" thick and it fist everything just fine.  I still have the JPEG file if you're interested.

so currently i have 2 shrouds, 3 speeders and dark talon in a 4" inch.  From what i'm reading, i could bring this down to 3"? but just keep the shroud shrines off and maybe the talon tail? that would save me a whole inch which is awesome

and of course, i wish those tailfins on the bikes weren't so tall lol. I guess I could magnetize them all, but thats a real pain given how thin they are

were forever carting our stuff to other peoples houses and the club its a sound investment for the difficult shaped models I've been lucky in getting a generic tray and customizing it but the Talon won't fit.

Had a look at the battle foam and given the cost of your models its a sound investment I've nocked up a jpg for my hardest to transport

tray speeder

yea i think i got it down to about 3.5".  I think the bikes can fit in 2.5", was measuring the little raven wings out the back of the bikes this morning.  

anyone know how tall Sammael is without base?

and those fricking flight bases for the dark talon....so awkward

I'd not push it with Sammael mines finecast and he gets a lot of space to himself

The Bikes can go in a generic cavalry tray laying down just magnetize the swords / special weapons flags the only tricky one is the librarian as I built it quite long but you can trim a bit off to suit

Stick "Cavalry Foam Figure Tray" into Ebay

Sammael and attack bikes + speeders go into this one but remember my Land Speeders break down for all weapons (including Typhoon) bar the single HB and even that on some

Stick "10 Compartment Foam Tray" into Ebay

Model space is 100mm x 50mm x 60mm

So you only need a special for Talon & DS and given that Sam is Fragile I put him on their + Typhoons, It lets you put whatever you want cutout wise on the designer anyways

Are you maxed out on speeders?

Or do you plan to get 12 more?

You know for the 3 full RWSS you plan to run!

If you are not planning on getting more then laying them flat is probably the best.

If you do plan to get more, you should consider getting the 5 inch foam for them.

Have the holes cut so that you drop the thrusters in first with the assault cannon pocking up.

Typhoons will only need 4 inch foam, the Tornados will need 5 inch

I have the older version of the GW army case with the tank foam.

In that block I was able to fit my 12 landspeeders with room for 4 more.

My placement was limited by the pluck foam... with custom foam I could have made better use of the space.

Sure it takes up 1 more inch than the battle foam tray, but it also holds about 2.5x the speeders that tray holds... So that is a net gain.

Archived