Dark Talon rules sanity check

Fulminata

I fielded mine for the first time last weekend against nids. It first shot was a direct hit with double ones placing the vortex right in the middle of his army. Even without the vortex though, your still firing a strength 10 ap 2 blast weapon. Honestly I think the Dark Talon is the better of our fliers except against other fliers.

Why does the nephilim jetfighter not have hover mode? And which one of the two flyers would you recommend over all?

cheers

A.) Because it doesn't have it.  It started its fluff life as an air superiority fighter (F-22) (really it is an A-10 in the rules but nobody told the fluff writers)

B.) Because the Dark Talon has it and is supposed to fill the Vtol close air support roll  (Harrier)

C.) Why would you voluntarily give up two shots a turn and the "need 6s to be hit" by changing from a zooming flyer to a skimmer?

They are both really ground attack craft with Strafing run but for my money, Dark Talon.  Flying Vindicator with chance of D Weapon...  Always Dark Talon.

Actually, just a clarification, in Hover mode you still get Skyfire. The Flier is treated as a Fast Skimmer but it still has the Skyfire rule as for it being a flier should you choose to fire with Skyfire this turn.

Why does the nephilim jetfighter not have hover mode? And which one of the two flyers would you recommend over all?

cheers

A.) Because it doesn't have it.  It started its fluff life as an air superiority fighter (F-22) (really it is an A-10 in the rules but nobody told the fluff writers)

B.) Because the Dark Talon has it and is supposed to fill the Vtol close air support roll  (Harrier)

C.) Why would you voluntarily give up two shots a turn and the "need 6s to be hit" by changing from a zooming flyer to a skimmer?

They are both really ground attack craft with Strafing run but for my money, Dark Talon.  Flying Vindicator with chance of D Weapon...  Always Dark Talon.

Actually, just a clarification, in Hover mode you still get Skyfire. The Flier is treated as a Fast Skimmer but it still has the Skyfire rule as for it being a flier should you choose to fire with Skyfire this turn.

I will have to look for that and I think that you are wrong on that point.  Fliers get Skyfire as part of being a flyer...  Skimmers dont.  But that wasnt what I meant.  

When it switches to a Fast Skimmer it can be hit with normal BS and it is just AV11.  Part of the magic that keeps flyers alive is Snapshots.   It is a tactical gamble to just throw that away.  A gamble that depends on a great many things like field position, terrain and opponent fire arcs.

I try to vector my Dark Talon for a great strike at a target were of Dark Angels are ready to destroy what ever is left. I know aircraft don't last long in these, games, but if destroys its target and everything else, small victory

@Brother Dean : But switching down to Hover Mode, as part of the rules, doesn't change the unit type to Fast Skimmer. I've read the rules very carefully in both English and French, and the Flier is still a Flier and still has Skyfire. It's not a Fast Skimmer, it's a Flier in Hover Mode.

It's not because it's moving slower that the targeting system stops working :p But it's because it's moving slower that it can be hit much faster.

@Brother Dean : But switching down to Hover Mode, as part of the rules, doesn't change the unit type to Fast Skimmer. I've read the rules very carefully in both English and French, and the Flier is still a Flier and still has Skyfire. It's not a Fast Skimmer, it's a Flier in Hover Mode.

It's not because it's moving slower that the targeting system stops working tongue.png But it's because it's moving slower that it can be hit much faster.

Wow good spot I assumed it was just turning into a fast skimmer

When I read the Hover mode in the BRB it clearly doesn't change from a Flyer its just treat as a fast skimmer for movement purposes

It's not because it's moving slower that the targeting system stops working tongue.png But it's because it's moving slower that it can be hit much faster.

Wow good spot I assumed it was just turning into a fast skimmer

When I read the Hover mode in the BRB it clearly doesn't change from a Flyer its just treat as a fast skimmer for movement purposes

The Skyfire rule actually states that a ZOOMING Flier can choose to shoot skyfire or not... When you switch to hover mode you arent ZOOMING anymore therefore you cannot choose to fire skyfire.

I also point you to the last line of the "Hover" box;

"If a Flyer is Hovering it is treated exactly as a Fast Skimmer. This makes it [the flyer] more manoeuverable but often limits the number of weapons it can fire."

So yes, 2 shots just like a fast skimmer.

Sorry but I do not think your reading of the rules means what you think it means....

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/family/smilies/princess-bride-14.jpg

However you DO keep Strafing Run in Hover mode...

Archived