Been out of gaming for a while and need help.

Malakai

So I haven't picked up a paintbrush in almost 4 years and I find myself doing a Spacepuppy commision.... I know I know. I haven't even picked up the main rulebook or the codex yet. I have four armies. Eldar Craftworld (My largest army and first) Orks, CSM and of course Dark Angels. I've been on youtube and talked to several players as to where I should spend my time and financial resources in order to give a decent showing of myself. I've heard the Craftworld Eldar are way overpowered, Chaos just needs a completely new 'dex, Orks are a hot mess and if you're lucky and playing a noob or if you go all Ravenwing on someone's ass Dark Angels is playable.

The problem with that is that I don't like just focusing on the 1st and 2nd companies. I have 6 Bikes and 2 units of DW. The rest is all Greenwing. 3 units of 10 tacticals, dreadnought, Rhino,, 5 man squad of Assault marines. All of the characters, oh and a DW LandRaider Crusader. (Which is badass if I do say so myself..not even painted and it's brilliant).

Anyway you can see my predicament. For an army that is not that strong to begin with I have a nerf baseball bat taking on a Mac Truck. Can anyone suggest some reasonable and decsent first purchases to get my army up to speed to at least give me a fighting chance. KNow though that I ould rather loose with greenwing than win with ravenwing.

Edit: Oh yeah and my main opponent will be the Space pup. I can't get beat by an army that I painted. Oh the irony.

I would recommend a pack of devastators and a land speeder. This way you can run a demi company with a Ravenwing Attack Squad and the grav cannons will be very useful too. The demi company with auxiliaires allows every one to fire over watch at full bs. So if you have the demi-coy and a RWAS or Deathwing Redemtion Force, you are set. The land raider will not be useful unless you have three predators, vindicators or whirlwinds to go with them but that is a fair chunk of change to purchase. They make up the Hammer of Caliban formation with a tech marine and give some special rules too.

How many points are you looking to play at?

With the new codex the there are three ways to field a land raider. First is part of the Hammer of Caliban formation. Second is part of a Combined Arms Detachment and you then can put your terminators in there but you lose the command benefits of the Lion's Blade formation. Finally you can play unbound.

A problem with fielding terminators in the new codex is that they have to start the game in reserves if you are using the Deathwing Strike Force or the Redemption Force. On that note, you cannot deep strike a land raider and therefore tdrminators cannot start the game in a land raider.

My god. I may as well just get a smurf 'dex and use their rules. That sounds horrible. Matt Ward?

Edit: And we all decided to start playing 1500, 1850 and 2000pts. So no small games, but that's a lot of tanks. I like battleforged armies. No allies. I'm old school I guess.

A demi company is a formation. Formations can be taken instead of or in addition to the regular force org chart, now called a combined arms detachment. So a demi company has certain units you must take and lacks slots for others. In addition they grant extra special rules.

If you like green wing the demi company is the way to go, as above, all you need is a Dev squad to make it work. The Deathwing and Ravenwing can be added in, you'll understand better when you see the codex. It's all about building blocks to unlock special rules.

The advantages are powerful compared to the very same force taken from a basic force org chart.

^ That.  Get the codex, and read it word for word, cover to cover.  Then read the Detachments and Formations rules sections in the core rulebook (make sure you have the most recent core rulebook, which came in the *revised* Dark Vengeance starter set).  Then you will want to re-read about the Dark Angels Detachments and Formations in the codex so as to better understand just what you can do with them now.  You can field anything you want to- often with useful bonuses, if you field certain combinations of units.  Both the core rules and the Dark Angels codex rules have changed notably in certain areas, and this latest Dark Angels codex is very competitvie with other codexes. You should also read as many tactics threads here in this forum as is possible, because I think you will get better information here than you have on more general forums.  We've also mostly gotten the "gnashing of teeth and clawing of whatever" out of our systems, and things have evolved to the point where we have had some really good discussions on various topics regarding the latest Dark Angels codex and how to make use of it.  Some of those threads are no doubt now burried back more than a few pages on this forum, so I recommend that you dig deeper than you normally might.

Archived