Counts as Nephilim/Dark Talon

jbaeza94

So i decided to make a succesor chapter, the Legion of the Iron Lion, and in keeping with the spirit of making your own fluff, i thought, why not find new flyers for count as nephilim/dark talon? ive been looking around forgeworld and came across this

Counts as nephilim

I thought wow! this would be awesome! its sleek, has a cool air superiority fighter look to it, and would you look at that? missles. I also found this for the counts as avenger cannon

counts as avenger bolter

I believe converting it wouldn't be hard at all. replace the las cannons with extra bolters I have laying around, glue one or both punisher cannons under the aircraft, or even on the tip of the wings. add some eagle iconography (ravenwing is called the Bronze Eagles in this chapter) replace the pilot head with that of an astartes, and if I have enough room, the torso as well. if its simply not doable, paint the canopy.

the dark talon is what gives me trouble finding a good replacement for. providing the hurricane bolters rift cannon and stasis bomb is easy, I have all those bits laying around, but finding an aircraft that looks like it would have a hover mode is what gets me. I like the look of the avenger strike fighter but I don't know how I would at hovermode bits. conversion seems it would not be so bad, except for rift cannon. the Xyphon is a good candidate as well

So here's a big question. would you object to a player doing this, or do you think anybody else would? all weapons would be represented accordingly, and its all official GW stuff sooo.... what is your take on this? and any suggestions on how conversions could work or any other aircraft to support this count as? I could write up fluff for these fighters on why they are not standard patterns for the unforgiven chapters.

I'd say go for it, decent ideas all round. In terms of modeling a hovermode - check out the "teeth" on the fore of the Caestus Assault Ram and Land Speeder. I'm fairly sure (can't cite any sources, though!) that those are anti-grav related bits. Modeling those on the Dark Talon would be a good way of saying "this variant can hover".

Actually after YouTube search, they both are already modeled with hovermodes. Although their rules don't reflect it, small thrusters are there. Funnyhow a quick search solved these issues. But still a great idea that I could share with my battle brothers, forging a narative

I did find the source you were referring to Brother Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer on the 40k wiki page. yes the teeth provide an anti gravity field with upwards force of about 4 tons. this could work pretty fairly well if I decide to go for other platforms or even making hoverbikes (count as bikes)

jbaeza94:

Why not find new flyers for count as nephilim/dark talon? The Dark Talon model is so imposing, so threatening, so well done, but the Lightning is a very impressive flyer as well. My first thought is Lightnings for Nephilims, and the stock kit for Dark Talons. This might save you a few coins, and further differentiate your chapter. The Lightning is hard to not appreciate; I imagine it would make a very good substitute. Great idea.

I'm looking forward to more of the Iron Lion.

Thanks.

FC

FynalCut,

The dark talon does have a great look to it. Especially how the shrines are. Very archaic. But I don't know if it really fits the iconography of the Iron Lions. They have roman influences. I already have a dark talon and nephilim, love them very DA. But I'm not it fits though, get me? For the dark talon I'm not looking so much for imposing but rather a heavy support look. That's why the thunderbolt is a good candidate. And while the avenger is smaller, it looks like it was meant for close air support.

Progress will be slow on the chapter. I'm Currently deployed. So I'm taking this time to write fluff. I have some basics over in the liber astartes. But I might be getting an air brush shipped out here so I can start on them. I'll keep you guys posted

Archived