Bikes - Melta or Grav

Dark_Master

Hello Brothers,

I am in the process of upgrading my command squad to Grav instead of bolters, bye bye Dakka banner, hello relentless ;-).

However that leaves me with six Grav guns left over, and I have three bike squads.

Do I be a cool kid and replace Melta with Grav, or keep as is.

Having never really played with Grav, I'm not sure.

DM

pick up a small hand drill and either some pins or thin magnets so you can do both! It's a pretty easy solution that allows you to max your units versatility without having to buy more models than you want to use

I think it depends on a few things:

Whether you are all RW

What the rest of your list looks like

What your opponent is playing

While grav for us is new and exciting, I think you still want a mix. So id keep the meltas and mix in grav. For instance my basic RW list calls for 4 bike squads, 2 melta and then either 2 grav if theres an elite or meq heavy army, or a grav and flamer mix. Both cases feature combis all around.

I'd switch out 2 for grav. Melta is still more reliable then grav guns. I switched out both my bike squads to grav and the end up taking out less vehicles now.

2 squads or bikers?

DM

2 squads. It's nice when I'm facing other marines, but when I face my friends tau their only good for his riptides.

Grav and melta do different things, so they shouldn't compete.  Melta is designed to take out heavily-armoured vehicles, grav is designed to take out well-armoured troops.  As such, grav competes with plasma.  Since you get Relentless on bikes, you get more shots with grav as compared to plasma at most ranges, although you give up 6" of maximum range.  Shot for shot, Plasma is good against everything, whereas Grav is better only against Armour 2+, high Toughness models but it doesn't have the possibility of backfiring on you.  My recommendation, since you have 3 bike squads, is to put Melta in one, Plasma in another, and Grav in the third.  That, or get busy with magnets.

Do you have any attack bikes? If so, running them with multimeltas means I would take 2 squads of grav and 1 squad of melta. If you don't (or lack other dedicated anti-tank), I would keep 2 with meltas and 1 with grav.

Leave plasma in most cases to Black Knights - they do it better point for point and are twin linked to boot.

I own 3 full bike squadrons (6 bikes, 1AB).

2 are with meltas, one with flamers (all AB are MM)

I have one more squadron to mount. What I do is mounting this new squadron with grav guns. In the same time, I've switched 2 meltas for grav guns on one of the squadron.

This way I'll get 2 squadrons of grav, one of meltas, one of flamer (I don't like overheating on a 1W 40pts model so no plasma thanks)

I think it's a good ratio. Most of the opposition are meq armies hence why I need more AP2/3 shots. The meltas are fine but not as necessary since grav guns can remove HP too and meltas need to be closer to be used at full effect.

Do you have any attack bikes? If so, running them with multimeltas means I would take 2 squads of grav and 1 squad of melta. If you don't (or lack other dedicated anti-tank), I would keep 2 with meltas and 1 with grav.

Leave plasma in most cases to Black Knights - they do it better point for point and are twin linked to boot.

Yeah I have three MM Attack Bikes, so probs will convert 2 squads.

Cheers all

DM

Archived