Land Speeders

SM1981

So not sure if this has been done before or not but I wanted to gather peoples thoughts on the different Land speeders load-outs available for the Blood Angels.

As I understand it (and things may have changed since I last bought a codex), there are 3 options.

1) Multi Melta with Flamer - Anti Tank platform with flamer to take care of any light infantry that may be accompanying it.

2) Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter - Anti infantry with both range and a bit of penetration.

3) Cyclone missile launchers - Good for providing covering fire and targeting artillery at long range.

All three have the flaw that they can be killed if you sneeze at them. Mobility is key in all 3. Keep them moving to threaten opposition squads / movement. Also if you dont they die quickly.

Which is your favourite / do you find most effective, and how do you deploy and use them?

Though the most expensive, I think you can run the missiles and multimelta. Getting within 24" of an enemy tank is not that hard on turn 1. Two missiles and the mm is a great volley, although you probably will not be at half range with the Melta. I like to play aggressively with them and make the enemy deal with them in turn 1 or 2. Its a distraction while others get in position. They actually blow stuff up more often then I expected too.

Though the most expensive, I think you can run the missiles and multimelta. Getting within 24" of an enemy tank is not that hard on turn 1. Two missiles and the mm is a great volley, although you probably will not be at half range with the Melta. I like to play aggressively with them and make the enemy deal with them in turn 1 or 2. Its a distraction while others get in position. They actually blow stuff up more often then I expected too.

While not such a problem against orks, the HB and TML give you no reason to get within 24" and thus shot at most. A bunch of bolters will wreck the speeder.

The dakka speeders have replaced the Baal Predators in my list.  They are FA, highly mobile, can put down some healthy anti-infantry fire, and can flank by deepstriking or through their maneuverability.   

Bonus is you can load them out cheaply or more expensively.   3 HBs with 6 hull points even at armor 10 is pretty good and costs about the same as the Baal.  And for a few points more you can have 6 HBs circle strafing at 36".  I have assault cannons, and they're fun sometimes, but I would stick to HB loadouts most of the time for points efficiency.  Also, having to come into range to get that assault cannon shot off is kind of a deal breaker.

The dakka speeders have replaced the Baal Predators in my list. They are FA, highly mobile, can put down some healthy anti-infantry fire, and can flank by deepstriking or through their maneuverability.

Bonus is you can load them out cheaply or more expensively. 3 HBs with 6 hull points even at armor 10 is pretty good and costs about the same as the Baal. And for a few points more you can have 6 HBs circle strafing at 36". I have assault cannons, and they're fun sometimes, but I would stick to HB loadouts most of the time for points efficiency. Also, having to come into range to get that assault cannon shot off is kind of a deal breaker.

I've only got one Speeder so far (HB/AC), it's done well both times I've used it but reading your tactic makes me like the idea of twin HB very much!

Archived