Should I play Dark Angels?

Redfinger

Subjective I know. I got a Dark Vengence box set on the cheap, and since I was contemplating getting back into 40k I decide to buy it for the book. I will likely keep the Chaos as it will make for good pick up games.

The conundrum I find myself in has to do with my past in 40k. I no zero about the Angels and I have only ever played Space Marines, Imperial Fist to be specific. So before I go too much further in investing too much more I want to get an idea of what DA is about?

I like the idea of running vanilla marines as I can play them as what ever, I suppose making a successor chapter that uses the DA badge is one option. Any rule against that? I would just hat to waste the DA models hat I picked up. I had an idea for a Imperial Fist successor chapter called the Temple Guard, but I am not sure the wings and sword iconography fits too well.

Any thoughts?

The universe is big. Everything can happen. You see, the sword and the wing are pretty common symbols that may vary from culture to culture. You say you want Temple Guard? The sword and the wing are perfect for you. The sword is a sight of nobility and fighting spirit. The wing could be an angelic one, like in the temples your guys are guarding.

In fact, if you want a religious tone in your army, look no further than DA. Their minis are perfect for that.

As for the play style, they are similar to SM at the core, but they bring their own nice little perks, that make them just different enough. Personally, I enjoy DA more than SM, because they feel less generic. Their universal Stubborn and improved Overwatch really goes well with the stoic and stubborn nature that would come with most IF successor.

A small word of warning though. The more competitive you get, the more generic will DA feel. If you want to play them for their feels, you could not have made a better choice. If you want to play them for their crunch, consider carefully. Personally, I struggle to find my way in. I love the feel above all else, except maybe GK, but their rules do not let me in as a competitive player.

Overall though, pick DA. They are great ;)

I'm working on my own DA successor chapter right now. A lot of people play some of the official successor chapter.

You can use the same models, convert them up, slap on a different paint scheme, use the DA codex and your all good. One of the cooler things about DA is their full chapter strength and theoretical number of successors that should exist leaves a lot open to the player/modeler.

I'm going for a general darker theme. Lots of robes everywhere, the FW DA heads, also going to use corvus hammers as my thunder hammers cuz the corvus is great looking

Some good points, thanks. I have orders some misc models already, a few drop pods, some tactical squads, sterguard and Devastators, keeping it generic. Do Dark Angel decals come in the boxes now, or does that need to be purchased separately?

A.

Oh, and I most definitely play by the "feels", I struggle with competitive play. At the same time I purchased the Dark Vengance box set I also picked up a Nemasis Strike Force that was complete still on sprue, so that will be fun to paint as well.

Just a small word of warning. DA don't get sternguard.

We also don't get Nemesis Strike Forces tongue.png!

If your only thought about playing Dark Angels is the want to not waste the models that you got in the DV box, why not sell them? To me, you don't seem that keen on the idea of the boys in green. Based on your original post, vanilla marines might be the way to go as you already have experience with them. Work on your Imperial Fists successor chapter's background so that you can integrate the sword and wing motif of the Dark Angels for your own purposes, if you don't want to sell the models. Is there a rule against that? It's your hobby so it's not for me to judge.

If you are curious about the Dark Angels, go to a 40k Wiki and look at their backstory and their successors' backstories. That should give you an idea as to what the flavour of the army is about. After that, if you still have questions, feel free to ask them.

Regarding sternguard, I would be hesitant to get sternguard even for conversions. I realize it's entirely a matter of opinion, but I feel that Sternguard are way too flashy looking for a Dark Angels army (especially for use as Vets). Just my two cents worth on that.

If all else fails you could file or clip off the Dark Angels icon from the shoulder pads and put on some Imperial Fist decals instead, thereby leaving you with the Dark Angels minis and yet allowing you to work them play them as Fists.

As for the smaller winged swords on their helmets and such...eh, who cares.? The occasional winged sword never hurt a vanilla marine. I've seen the winged sword appear on Black Templar, who are about as different from the Dark Angels as one can be.

Do whatever works best for you.

Just a small word of warning. DA don't get sternguard.

We also don't get Nemesis Strike Forces tongue.png!

Or riptides...

Or tomb blades...

Or Exorcists...

Oh, wait...but we do get:

Black knights

Deathwing knights (lots of armies have zero fleshbane per army...how's one per squad grab you?)

Dark Talons (oh, yeah! Stasis bombs and a flier with a small blast demolisher cannon!!)

Did I mention overwatch on natural balistic skill? A 12" no-scatter bubble for termintors that deepstrike precisely when you want?

It looks like we may have answered your question, but if there is still appetite for more:

I would say it depends on what sparks your interest about the hobby. I originally collected Ultramarines in Epic because they were my favourite Chapter in Space Crusade. When I started 40K I went for the Dark Angels because they had a dark colour scheme (which epitomised my gothic vision of 40k) and I liked the hints of a dark background (which hadn't been explored that much then). They also had unique formations of the Deathwing and Ravenwing which sounded awesome. From a painting standpoint as well, it meant I would need to learn to paint dark colours for Ravenwing and the 'greenwing' and pale colours for the Deathwing. The more I collected them, the more I began to really enjoy their mysterious background and the way the special companies made them distinct from other chapters.

The rules haven't always been kind to the Dark Angels, but, from all accounts, they are pretty competitive now, but don't count on them staying that way. Do a little digging as suggested and see what you think.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Still on the fence a bit though I quote been eyeing the Dark Vengence kit with thoughts of scraping the DA symbol off. I love the Deathwing fluff I was reading, an army full of bikes!

Still taking my time to decide.

A.

Archived