Which company?

marvmoogy

I'm one of those guys who likes to ideally collect and build a whole army before I get it painted.  Odd, but that's how I do it.

I've been slowly building up my Blood Angel force and now I'm nearly there.  The question I have is this:  which company should I paint them up as?

I have managed to get my dirty mitts on the Gamesday Blood Angel Captain and, although I was really tempted to run him as a squad sergeant (because every single space marine army NEEDS to have a sergeant with a bolter and powerfist...) I've decided to use him as a Captain.

Now, Karlean is the 1st Company Captain (and this isn't a terminator force) so he is out.  Tycho leads the 2nd Company, so again, he is out.  So that leaves me with 3rd, 4th or 5th Companies.  

Is there any fluff any where to say which Company he leads?  After looking at the Chapter insignia pages of the Codex, I'm tempted to go for the 5th Company, but don't want to do that if it is written somewhere that he is the Master of Relics or some other nonsense! 

Cheers in advance!

Tycho was Captain of the 3rd Company, not the 2nd.

The Games Day Captain's heraldry (the diagonal stripe) is also for the 3rd Company. And on the cover of 2nd edition, where that Captain came from, you can see Tycho's banner in the background. They're also fighting Orks, obviously.

He could therefore be assumed to be Galan Machiavi, Tycho's successor as Captain of the 3rd.

Tycho was Captain of the 3rd Company, not the 2nd.

The Games Day Captain's heraldry (the diagonal stripe) is also for the 3rd Company. And on the cover of 2nd edition, where that Captain came from, you can see Tycho's banner in the background. They're also fighting Orks, obviously.

He could therefore be assumed to be Galan Machiavi, Tycho's successor as Captain of the 3rd.

Apart from that art 2nd from ed was representing 2nd war for Armageddon when Tycho was still captain, not the 3rd war, where he dies.

This captain doesn't really fit in with other information, unless you assume that this captain is Captain Tycho, during the second war, before he was disfigured.

On another note, what's your favourite colour? Easiest colour blood drop to paint? Or do they have transfers for the appropriate company?

The third is always a safe bet, as you dont have to come up with strange fluff to have Tycho leading a force from another company ;)

Apart from that art 2nd from ed was representing 2nd war for Armageddon when Tycho was still captain, not the 3rd war, where he dies.

This captain doesn't really fit in with other information, unless you assume that this captain is Captain Tycho, during the second war, before he was disfigured.

You're missing the point. It establishes him as contemporaneous with Captain Tycho. 

He doesn't have to be the present Captain of the 3rd in that image to be the eventual Captain of the 3rd. The visibility of Tycho's banner in the background obviously indicates that he can't be the Captain of the 3rd yet

He's clearly bearing the heraldry of the 3rd Company both then and as a "Blood Angels Captain" miniature. If he's wearing the wrong heraldry to be the Captain of any other Company, and he can't be a predecessor because he's in an image with Captain Tycho, who else could he be?

(To take his heraldry further: his right knee pad and equipment indicates that in that image he's the Sergeant of the 1st Squad, so about as senior as he could be within the Company. His pauldrons are actually the heraldry indicated in Rogue Trader material for a Blood Angels Lieutenant Commander - a rank which disappeared in 2nd edition, but reinforces the idea that he would be the natural candidate to succeed Tycho.)

Archived