The 370 points challenge

Frater Cornelius

I will have to admit that my stance towards list-building has changed in recent times. I played some underdog factions like GK and SW as a stand-alone force without allies, expect possibly an Inquisitor, and have been going toe to toe with so called competitive lists you find around the web. Ever since I stopped listening to popular opinions and make my own lists.

Where does DA come into this? Well, I have been playing them in 6ed and loved it, but I have seemingly lost them since the new book.

Well, I decided to start from scratch and do the old 370pts challenge. Take 370pts in the HQ, Elite, Troops, FA and HS slot, plus-minus 10pts, which will result in a 1850pts.

Given that I am fan of Green/Black, here is what I what I will play with. It is not efficient in any way, shape or form, but that is the whole point of this exercise. Use battlefield tactics, not broken combos to win ;)

Hidden Content

HQ - 370pts

Sammy - Corvex

IntChappy - Bike, MoR, SoH

Elite - 380

Dreadnought - TLHF, Fist + HF, Drop Pod

RWCS - 5 dudes, Apothecary

Troops - 375

10 Tacs - Plasma, Combi-Plasma, Grav Cannon, Drop Pod

10 Scouts - 10 Snipers, Camo Pants

Both units split into combat squads

Fast Attack - 365

Nephilim

Dark Shroud

5 ASM - 2 Flamers, Drop Pod

Heavy Support - 360

10 Devs - 4 LC, Cherub

Land Speeder Vengeance - Assault Cannon

1850pts

Not sure how this will end, but this is an interesting way to test out some underused units and practice :D

Brother, I love this idea! Too long have I suffered people asking "what is the best X?" There is no best. There is no across the board optimal list. When did this game become about who has the best armchair list? Just because something works for Jim Bob doesn't mean it will work for Cleetus. When Cleetus loses, he invariably gets angry at Jim Bob because the list he got off the internet doesn't work for him, even though that was the best list. Jim Bob will then invariably get snarky with Cleetus and call him a "noob". Anger ensues.

This exercise is great. Hopefully some people, hopefully new people, will learn about this and start to use it.

And maybe we can say "Ni" enough to people who ask "what's the best X?" enough that they'll change their thinking laugh.png! Although something tells me that won't happen any time soon...

Funny exercise. Nice concept. Maybe I should ask the guys I play with to adapt this, just to see how we end up building our lists. Personally I have fielded far more greenwing than deathwing or ravenwing, and more deathwing than ravenwing. Only used bikes once. Still don't like the feel. So I tend to not go for broke on "strongest possible". I don't play lists made purely of scouts and a libby either, but I have fielded scouts on several occasions.

Basically it would be a better meta if people went about their listmaking this way, but power tends to corrupt...

Well, I am glad that this was so well received :)

I already mentioned the training you get out of it. You also get exposed to units you never use. However, one third advantage came to mind. I tried something similar recently. It wasn't an efficient list. And the two least likely models in the army, something I rarely take, created such a great story, that I will not sell them (those are test models), but make a diorama with them and gift it to my FLGS.

Hyper efficient lists rarely tell engaging stories. Fun lists have plenty of opportunity of it happening.

So yeah, the story of Big Bob and Lil' Jim coming up soon ;)

Archived