The Beast Arises

Vorenus

Beast is definitely the avatar of Orc might and successor of Gorro orcs from the 'Wolf of Ash and Fire'.

All the quotes before chapters were made by emo Vulkan who tired to live in a carrion corpse of Imperium

I don't really get where he is the successor of the Gorro Orks. Unless I forgot something that I've read.

I read it as he was the Ork equivalent of the Emperor with no connection to Gorro or Ullanor other than the technology and the symbolism of that planet. He is their living God basically. He's 10 meters tall, an utter psychic beast and in another league to every other Ork that has been encountered.

He would be Gorro successor for sure - because how else did he found all that technology and know the significanse of Ullanor?

So if we now know all the covers, what happened to that Sister of Silence artwork? Seems like a lot of work just for a promotional image.

Good point, I'm sure that was the original cover for The Beast Must Die... do they feature in the massive Imperial assault in said book?

Really need to get this soon, am working back through the series from the start as half way into Book 6 i felt quite lost with who is who and what the hell was going on! Needless to say each book is deffo more enjoyable the second time round so far!

Beast is definitely the avatar of Orc might and successor of Gorro orcs from the 'Wolf of Ash and Fire'.

All the quotes before chapters were made by emo Vulkan who tired to live in a carrion corpse of Imperium

I don't really get where he is the successor of the Gorro Orks. Unless I forgot something that I've read.

I read it as he was the Ork equivalent of the Emperor with no connection to Gorro or Ullanor other than the technology and the symbolism of that planet. He is their living God basically. He's 10 meters tall, an utter psychic beast and in another league to every other Ork that has been encountered.

He would be Gorro successor for sure - because how else did he found all that technology and know the significanse of Ullanor?

Ullanor was the peak of humanity's power and the most crushing defeats ever suffered by the Orks in millenia. Just because this Ork is aware of it, doesn't mean he's a Gorro-ork descendant. 

I'm intrigued to see what happens with Vulkan. I mean, in theory the Beast should be trounced right? As much as that will be pivotal, it doesn't suddenly vanish the galaxy full of attack moons. 

I felt so bad for the Salamanders, they turn up and Vulkan wouldn't even talk to them. I suppose they'd beg him to return. He's gone full emo, but I'm not surprised as he's lived in grimdark for 2k years. He's also had the perspective of the Emperor's grand design, the webway and the eternity of Chaos soooo not surprising, right?

Um.. I think I just smell something fishy. Races/entities that were known to uplift/upgrade/change other races included the Old Ones, Chaos, Tau, C'Tan, and I don't think Tau and Chaos was behind those changes at the time.

I hope they don't reveal chaos or eldar were behind the new evolved orks. just for once I would like them to be powerful on their own, and being this powerful through their own devices makes me happy.

it's That, Or the Old ones being behind it again down.gif

Also, can I just say how happy I am as a mechanicus player that they described so many more weapons and things the mechanicus owns and used in this book. We had appearances from Knights, Cybernetica, Titans, Skitarii... Pretty much everything! hell, they were their own flank compared to the combined push of Imperial Guard and space marines, so that made me happy. And they described some new stuff too! The Magos's didn't look liket the GW Tech-Priest Dominus plastic figure, He was a unique, imaginative Brain-in-a-Jar type magos that could control his entire ship personally! The Mechanicus had flyers and Lightnings! They had a friggen Tri-Pod Titan walking around the field! They described almost every variant of knight instead of forgetting they exist! This is how you show the Mechanicus gearing up for war!

And lets not forget:

Ordinatus Ullanor! Even if it only lasted for 3 pages it was still a very cool thing to add, and it made me fist pump the air when I read it.

Awesome, I amy get it for this, I definitely want this sort of thing on the Mechanicum.

Plus of course that it has Vulkan facing off the with the Beast itself, that should be tremendous.

regarding the sisters of Silence:

Vulkan Reminisced about them during a pivotal battle against ork Psykers, saying something like they are more than likely extinct after the battle of Terra. Pretty sad when you think about it, because they would solve a whole lot of problems for the imperials.

speaking of problems, what the hell happened to the assassin Wire?

Just trying to make sense of it. I feel asleep twice reading. Nothing
unusual with Thorpes work.

But
At the end, Vulkan was seeing and traveled the great green. Da Ork
spirit seems to have came out on top.
Has Vulkans spirit been swallowed by the green. He seemed to like a
fight, even if it would kill him. Which changed the... well Orky spirit.

The beast, well the assassin, beast realized they were were all sol. So retreated to the marine lines and tried to warn them that they were fethed if they continued.

Just trying to make sense of it. I feel asleep twice reading. Nothing

unusual with Thorpes work.

But

At the end, Vulkan was seeing and traveled the great green. Da Ork

spirit seems to have came out on top.

Has Vulkans spirit been swallowed by the green. He seemed to like a

fight, even if it would kill him. Which changed the... well Orky spirit.

The beast, well the assassin, beast realized they were were all sol. So retreated to the marine lines and tried to warn them that they were fethed if they continued.

Yea but I mean after that. did he still fight? did he just run away?

I'm still sort of amazed at the lacklustre Imperial Response.

10k Astartes and 90k Guard? I mean...in proper 40k they throw around millions of mortals as a matter of course.

I guess there are much fewer Chapters then I'm 40k with the whole natural distrust of Astartes in the high courts.

Still....one company apiece from the first founders? Seems anemic. No mention of the tenth, fifth or nineteenth either.

I think when the Beast mentions "throwing away your greatest weapon" he refers to the Legions. Only they had the power to push the galaxy back and win. Compare the 10,000 gathered to retake Ullanor to .. at least 200 to 300k Astartes at the Siege. The Imperium has thrown away it's best weapon. There was a reason the Emperor created them and the new Imperium is too afraid and weak to continue the Emperors dream.

Still....one company apiece from the first founders? Seems anemic. No mention of the tenth, fifth or nineteenth either.

The Raven Guard are probably busy debating which shade of black looks the best right now. I've heard the casualties so far were around a third of the chapter.

(If Thorpe wrote them anyway. tongue.png)

I'm still sort of amazed at the lacklustre Imperial Response.

10k Astartes and 90k Guard? I mean...in proper 40k they throw around millions of mortals as a matter of course.

I guess there are much fewer Chapters then I'm 40k with the whole natural distrust of Astartes in the high courts.

I think when the Beast mentions "throwing away your greatest weapon" he refers to the Legions. Only they had the power to push the galaxy back and win. Compare the 10,000 gathered to retake Ullanor to .. at least 200 to 300k Astartes at the Siege. The Imperium has thrown away it's best weapon. There was a reason the Emperor created them and the new Imperium is too afraid and weak to continue the Emperors dream.

Black Library authors not thinking troop strengths through isn't exactly new. 

The Imperium's best weapon tried to kill it and almost succeeded; I can't exactly blame it for thinking breaking the Legions down was necessary for prolonged survival.

Just finished the book. You guys are right, this is one of the best so far.

We've talked about Vulkan, the Imperials, and the Astartes. How about the Orks in general? So many glances inside this new, expanded, evolved Ork civilization. I really want a section of just one book taking place from the Beast's perspective. They even showed Orks that were retconned out of the codexes long ago. Rockas, Brewerz, Shoutas and more! Ork priests preaching in pairs (cause of course). And games! The Orks have an actual board game that doesn't involve beating something with a club! If it wasn't for the sad, sad examples of what happens to humans under this kind of Ork society I'd want to see just how far they could go.

Bonus points if some Eldar get caught up in the fighting along the way. 3 books after Throneworld and I still can't get over that seer's condescension. Or just how small the Eldar's part in the book was.

With the kind of depth they aged to the Ork culture you're verging on having enough content for some kind of MMORPG. Which I would enjoy if done properly and not cheap and tacky looking.

I don't think the Eldar have the numbers or power to defeat the Beast. They probably just use their mobility to get out of the way.

They have a huge series of models for their Horus Heresy line. I'd love to see a Beast sideline for 30k with some of their crazy stuff. Especially a Beast model to go toe-to-toe with primarchs.

Show me the Beast, Black Library! Show me what he looks like!

They have a huge series of models for their Horus Heresy line. I'd love to see a Beast sideline for 30k with some of their crazy stuff. Especially a Beast model to go toe-to-toe with primarchs.

Show me the Beast, Black Library! Show me what he looks like!

Exactly - to dispel all the tidings and theories, it would be cool to have an exact model

One of the opportunities that the series hasn't capitalised on so far has been the portrayal of the Orks, in my opinion. There's been quite a lot of 'telling' and not a lot of 'showing' of how their intelligence, technology, and brute strength makes these Orks more of a threat than the typical breed. Hopefully they don't leave it too late in the series to put them centre stage and give them their due.

To be honest, whilst the series was initially quite promising, the constant 'Neutral Stupid' approach by the Imperium is wearing thin.

"Hhmmm... Ullanor seems surprisingly poorly defended... Just like that attack moon..."

"Charge it with chainswords then!"

Archived