The Beast Arises

Vorenus

As folks suggest, HeritorA - there's reasons that are plausible, just none that are explicitly (or even implicitly) mentioned or discussed in the novels, that I can recall.

Some candidates are:

- it's absent (warp travel, innit? Maybe it's been in transit for a while, but not so long anyone's worried it is Lost in the Warp).

- it's ruined and wrecked around Armatura, just like the rest of the IF fleet.

not the second - cause it would have been mentioned for sure! Lost in the Warp for YEARS? And nobody of all the successors even mentioned it? Nothing plausible here

Yes, there are ships that can be lost in the warp for years. There can even be ships that aren't lost that take far longer than other ships to get there.

The point is - even in that case someone (like from thousands of successors to IFs marines) should have mentioned it - even in passing

Finally got around to reading this series, up to The Beast Must Die.

I'm kind of... mixed? On the one hand, I appreciate the attempt to fill in some historical backstory, setting it at an interesting transitional phase in the Imperium's life. I enjoy the glimpse at the politicking between the High Lords. It's got some interesting ideas and characters. It's got a punchy, fast pace.

Maybe too fast paced. And that leads me to things I'm not enjoying so much. The blistering pace just seems a little too fast for me, especially when dealing with things that by all rights should have felt epic, mythic even. Stuff like one of the Primarchs still being around, the near-extinction of the Imperial Fists, even the cultural shift of the Orks themselves. It's all just... brought up and then chop chop, quick onto the next scene. I think the series could have benefited from having more room to breathe, from exploring more of the Imperium post-Heresy, post-Scouring, still complacent in its security and comfortable in its ways.

It also doesn't help that I keep wanting to hurl my e-reader across the room at the stupidity of the Imperium's military response. I know, I know: institutional stupidity is the Imperium's thing, I get that. Or maybe it's not so much stupidity as scale. For something that's supposed to be a galactic threat, on the verge of bringing Terra itself to its knees... where's the response? Where's the Phalanx, for example? Where's the rest of the Navy? Where are all the Successor Chapters? Why aren't they throwing cyclonic torpedoes against the moons until something gets through?

I mean, I get it. At some point you don't ask "why aren't they going about this smarter?" because the response is "mothercensored.gif , do you want a 40K story or not?"

'Sigismund was a maniac. Even the Sigillite was overheard saying so. His successors are almost worse, striving to preserve a philosophy they lack the wit to inherit or the skill to prosecute.'

I genuinely don't understand this as during the heresy he has shown nothing of the sort to even indicate this so far.

Just wondering re the mention of there being

6 Beasts

... does this include the chap who faced Vulkan at the end of 'The Beast Must Die' or was he in fact killed, along with Vulkan? I ask as the ending to Book 8 i found very ambiguous in the way everything happened and i personally placed both Beast and Primarch on equal footing after Vulkan opened himself to a much needed last min power up. Neither were shown to die but one we presumed lived due to how Book 8 ended... but now there is the strong possibility that Vulkan actually did succeed

if there are multiple Beasts

... just need some clarification on who's who re the big green uglies happy.png

Okay, so you know I'm staring to think that the authors are reading this forum and writing the book right afterwards to match us or something. Book 9 comes out, people ask 'where are the Grey Knights, why only Big 5 chapters in the Deathwatch?' Book 10 comes out, boom, explains the Grey Knights. Brings a whole bunch of new chapters into the Watch. It's almost suspicious.

Book 10 is definitely higher up in the ranking of this series. At least in my opinion. Waiting for the next book is gonna be hard after that ending.

Oh. And on a final note, I think I'm starting to see it. The shape of the final book. Vangorich.... Is this the final straw?

(How do you add a spoiler tag again?!)

Okay, so you know I'm staring to think that the authors are reading this forum and writing the book right afterwards to match us or something. Book 9 comes out, people ask 'where are the Grey Knights, why only Big 5 chapters in the Deathwatch?' Book 10 comes out, boom, explains the Grey Knights. Brings a whole bunch of new chapters into the Watch. It's almost suspicious.

Book 10 is definitely higher up in the ranking of this series. At least in my opinion. Waiting for the next book is gonna be hard after that ending.

Oh. And on a final note, I think I'm starting to see it. The shape of the final book. Vangorich.... Is this the final straw?

Exactly - in place of Vangorich I would have killed everyone in Imperial palace except for Custodes and Empra by the beginning of book 4, lol

No, according to some of the authors that frequent these forums, this series was planned and written years ago.

Archived