The Beast Arises

Vorenus

Hah. So you guys were complaining about the GK right? 

‘An entire Chapter? Here? What in the name of the Throne were they doing while orks invaded Terra and Mars threatened outright rebellion?’

‘They have… special interests. Their existence is known only to a few.’

Not quite true. It was started years ago, with the first few being on ice for ages while management and policy changes were afoot at GW/BL. The bulk of the series was written fairly recently, with some work on the last few novels only having been done this year.

Could get ADB to clarify, but yeah, I could only see touchups/some editorial rewrites of sections of novels having been done this year. With the release schedule being as regimented as it is, compared to other BL novels, seems like that would've been largely prewritten.

I've seen various authors tweet their writing progress on Twitter since the series launched. A bunch of interviews, including some hosted by veterannoob and elsewhere, went into detail about the process. Its all wrapped up now, at least.

One thing I'd point out as to how long its still been moving pieces are the temp-blurbs on Amazon. Some of the later ones changed drastically over the months. Nevermind them scrapping the Sister of Silence cover art halfway through. The series was also written out of order, with some having to bridge events from A to C. Pretty confusing all around, and I'm surprised it worked as well as it did so far.

I've seen various authors tweet their writing progress on Twitter since the series launched. A bunch of interviews, including some hosted by veterannoob and elsewhere, went into detail about the process. Its all wrapped up now, at least.

One thing I'd point out as to how long its still been moving pieces are the temp-blurbs on Amazon. Some of the later ones changed drastically over the months. Nevermind them scrapping the Sister of Silence cover art halfway through. The series was also written out of order, with some having to bridge events from A to C. Pretty confusing all around, and I'm surprised it worked as well as it did so far.

Beheading was not the last written by the way -so they all knew how it ended and who would live to see the sun biggrin.png

Out of curiosity, has there been any further mention of

the Fists Exemplar becoming the Imperial Fists nonsense? Or has that thankfully been proven false?

Oh oh oh it's gonna happen.

....Freakin' yayfurious.gif Let me guess:

Koorland is now dead, thus the Imperial Fists being truly extinct and ripe for this shoehorned-in 2nd founding to take over.

Well, I'm done with this censored.gif series

and done with the "Imperial Fists" of 40k.

...With this much hatred, I'm starting to feel more and more like a Black Templar...

Yes yes join us... Feel the bile,the hatred, the fury... Chain it and let it fuel you foward. Cleanse your enemies with contempt and disgust. No pity No remorse No fear.

I dont get the fanrage going on.

The book was very exciting. I'm frothing at the mouth for the next one.

I mean they failed. They expended the last military capability they had. I do not see how they come back from this without insane levels of plot armour.

Koorland is not confirmed as dead, either, unless I missed it there is no definitive statement he is dead. Perhaps Koorlandnaught? Even then I still fail to see how the Imperium survives.

Maybe the Traitor Legions emerge and butcher the orks? "Bad Xeno, we wanted to kill the Imperium, shoo shoo. We have more overly elaborate crusades to plan"

otherwise I am at a loss as to how they succeed now?

I mean they failed. They expended the last military capability they had. I do not see how they come back from this without insane levels of plot armour.

Koorland is not confirmed as dead, either, unless I missed it there is no definitive statement he is dead. Perhaps Koorlandnaught? Even then I still fail to see how the Imperium survives.

Maybe the Traitor Legions emerge and butcher the orks? "Bad Xeno, we wanted to kill the Imperium, shoo shoo. We have more overly elaborate crusades to plan"

apart from the entire second founding ultramarines getting involved? They did it to the night Lords (kinda) they'll do it to the orks. There's an imperiums worth of military might and alpha legion to get involved, not just the tiny cross section they've cherry picked for the purposes of the novel. May even suggest a (minor) legion reunification at this point to get the job done

I'm a quarter through, putting my read of the Flesh Tearers collection on hold for it. It is funny that this book puts a lot of my issues with the Deathwatch's lack of variety in Watchers in Death to rest, within the first chapter.

Also very pleased with what Guymer did with Mesring, whose progression was a little sidelined for a while. Good stuff.

apart from the entire second founding ultramarines getting involved? They did it to the night Lords (kinda) they'll do it to the orks. There's an imperiums worth of military might and alpha legion to get involved, not just the tiny cross section they've cherry picked for the purposes of the novel. May even suggest a (minor) legion reunification at this point to get the job done

It would be a complete u-turn though, the entire premise of this novel is that the Imperium is spent. If they suddenly materialised a Legion or two it would render the entire series pointless.

That said the "military capacity" of the Imperium is wildly inconsistent throughout the series. On the first Ullanor attack, it cites that it was 10k Astartes and 90K Guardsmen.

In this novel it says they have 100k guardsmen and it was but a fraction of the first Ullanor force. 

I think the point is the Legions can't materialise. The Sons of Dorn failed, the Last Wall was designed to reunite the Legion more or less and like...7 Chapters turned up? The entire Imperium is besieged by attack moons so all of the Ultramarine successors are occupied/destroyed.

This novel literally states Terra will fall in weeks, if the successors haven't re-materialised into a Legion now it isn't happening/it shouldn't due to it being a situation that is "insane level plot amour" that leaves me cold.

I say that Dorn returns, sees the crippled Imperium and further the loss of his sons, make someone responsible for that, beats him to death, rally's the imperium for the very last stand.

For reasons unknown, he reveals himself being a powerful psyker, killing the beasts and leaves the BT with an identity crisis ^^

Nah, meant that he turns out to be a very powerful psyker.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see the BT venerating him for his connection to the warp. Are they even aware of it?

And don't take that serious. Just an attempt to find a silly way out of war against the beast :)

If there's one thing about this series that is still making me grit my teeth, it's the Beast himself. After ten books of utter and complete SLAUGHTER by his legions it pretty much goes without saying that he is far and away the Greatest Ork to Ever Live. And for all that there's still so, so, SO much we don't know about him. Where did he come from? Why is he so much greater? By The Khagan, we've still barely even heard him Speak!

If the final books blurb is anything to go by, next month the Beast will finally meet his end (and let me tell you, considering the madness we discovered in The Last Son of Dorn, that end has gotta be a doozy). It's the last chance we'll ever get to maybe learn Something about him other than his favorite catchphrase, but considering who knows what it will take to bring him down, I'm not sure they'll cover it even then. Maybe the entire book will be dedicated to pulling off this last attempt and all we'll ever know about the Beast personally is his fighting style. What do you think? Do any of you want even a small chapter written from his perspective? To see where he comes from?

I have finally finished the eBook and my verdict is:

It was not the best book in the series.

It's a nice twist to have 6 Beasts

It made me sad that Koorland finally got killed. He was stated to be dead as far as I read.

The book also uses the word "buttocks" at least once and the word "spanked" FAR TOO OFTEN. It's a dirty word for heretics not galactic war.

Seriously. It does!

So... is the series going to explain just how the Orks got to this point? It seems like it should be a really, really big deal that suddenly they learned how to teleport moons around, gravitically hoover up planetary masses, grow to the size of Titans, maintain cohesive discipline and battle plans, and effortlessly curbstomp the galaxy.

The only indication I found was some vague handwave along the lines of "Oh, if you leave them alone long enough, their society evolves." Given the sheer size of the galaxy and the Imperium's inability to truly control all of it, how is stuff like this not happening on a frequent basis?

I almost feel like they've written themselves into a corner here: the Orks so thoroughly and utterly outclass the Imperium that it seems like only a deus ex machina could resolve things at this point.

So... is the series going to explain just how the Orks got to this point? It seems like it should be a really, really big deal that suddenly they learned how to teleport moons around, gravitically hoover up planetary masses, grow to the size of Titans, maintain cohesive discipline and battle plans, and effortlessly curbstomp the galaxy.

The only indication I found was some vague handwave along the lines of "Oh, if you leave them alone long enough, their society evolves." Given the sheer size of the galaxy and the Imperium's inability to truly control all of it, how is stuff like this not happening on a frequent basis?

I almost feel like they've written themselves into a corner here: the Orks so thoroughly and utterly outclass the Imperium that it seems like only a deus ex machina could resolve things at this point.

Well, the Ork Codex does talk about the fabled "Brain Boyz" that helped them fight against the necrons, so if they had those back and went back to the days of the war in heaven kind of strength, then yea they would outclass the imperium thanks to the meddling of the Old Ones.

They had almost 1500 years to get to that point. They were almost wiped out by the Heresy, but since the Scars never finished the job due to Horus, and the Imperium completely neglected them besides some minor border skirmishes, they definitely had the time to develop to this state.

Ork evolution has always been pretty rapid. They keep growing and growing and growing the longer they live. Their technology has always been ramshackle and held together more by their sheer belief that it will than anything easily explainable by science. The Waaagh energy plays a big factor in everything they do, and the Beast obviously knows how to direct them through it.

Archived