The Beast Arises

Vorenus

I think it will just cover up to the point where Vangorich dies, maybe with a little exposition afterwards, or final speech by the last standing Marine.

And they could make a point - and make him live, just to troll us all and the lore :)

Part of me likes the perversity of the High Lords of Terra allowing one of the Emperor's own sons to die pointlessly so he doesn't threaten their power. The greater part of me wants to headbutt the wall.

Shadow of Ullanor has a lot of points to that, had an amazing beginning, great inspirational actions and FAIL miserably with the horrible flat ending, which could be expected of course, but so 'ungrandeur' - that's a total cheat.

Never expected from Rob to write such a passable book.

There's also the factor of, of all the Primarchs you'd betray to stop him getting power, it's Vulkan. Didn't want to rule, just wanted to protect people. He's the Ned Stark of 40K.

Hey all, this is an odd one.

I haven't started the series yet as I haven't had the time. However on my travels through the interwebs looking for bits of fluff about my chosen chapter I spotted a new section on Lexicanum. Apparently in book ten 'the last son of Dorn' there is a Hawk Lords character. As its so rare to get a hawk lords named character I would like to read it.

Do you think it's going to be possible to read it without reading the rest?

Edit: Does anyone know if they have shown up in the rest of the books?

Hey all, this is an odd one.

I haven't started the series yet as I haven't had the time. However on my travels through the interwebs looking for bits of fluff about my chosen chapter I spotted a new section on Lexicanum. Apparently in book ten 'the last son of Dorn' there is a Hawk Lords character. As its so rare to get a hawk lords named character I would like to read it.

Do you think it's going to be possible to read it without reading the rest?

Edit: Does anyone know if they have shown up in the rest of the books?

Sorry to disappoint you, but said Hawk Lord only shows up as a member of the Deathwatch. No others in sight, though I think they took part in the first attack on Ullanor during The Beast Must Die.

As for reading it on it's own... if you're doing it specifically for that chapter, then I'd say don't bother. If not, then I'd also say don't bother. Reading the rest of the series building up to that would be much better.

Posted · Hidden by Olis, October 22, 2016 - Off topic
Hidden by Olis, October 22, 2016 - Off topic

Book 10 http://traffic.libsyn.com/combatphase/Ep_167_-_Burning_of_Prospero__TBA10-_Last_Son_of_Dorn_wDavid_Guymer.mp3

Review of Burning of Prospero including game play. We talk news, hobby, games played at the local Horus Heresy Weekender in the Midwest, and an AoS event coming up this weekend. David Guymer joins us on our continuing coverage of The Beast Arises for book 10: The Last Son of Dorn.
After our intro at around 1:40-ish minutes Kenny walks you through Burning of Prospero fresh from a few test games. It's an amazing game and value, go get yours! smile.png

I finally decided to get started on Shadow of Ullanor.

Weird to see Sanders bringing back the "Capturing..." prelude style that has been dropped since.. book 4. In fact, his own Predator, Prey was the only other book that had "Capturing...", and while Gav's The Emperor Expects had something similar, it wasn't titled that. Most other books only had quotes.

Yes, it is something tiny and nitpicky, but its one more inconsistency that indicates that the series needed better editorial oversight. Doesn't help that this one brings up the Necrontyr and all...

I enjoyed chapter one in the same way I loved the first chapter in Predator, Prey: It gave a wider view of the war, which was long overdue. But I can't help but think that right before the Beast's fall, this is too little, too late when taking into account that this is book 11, not book 6 or even 9.

Chapter two's Vangorich was great, and I like the buildup for The Beheading there. While he has been shown to not be properly religious, he still maintains the illusion by praying and all that, so him actually requesting absolution was a good idea.

I didn't particularly like the third chapter though. Too much time spent on the duel, not enough on the actual reformation proposition. It just... happens. No debate, no argument, not even a real consideration from Thane if his Chapter will be okay with it. "Okay, bro, you're the Imperial Fists Chapter Master now and we'll engrave your name on Dorn's bones, have fun" - that's not the way I wanted this scene to play out. Yes, we all knew it would come to this from the fluff already and it was clearly visible from way earlier in the series anyway, but I wish there had been less battle, and more ceremony.

The setup for the Feast of Blades was nice, the battle was good, but the important, vital part of the chapter was rushed to the point where it sours my outlook for the rest of the story.

I finally decided to get started on Shadow of Ullanor.

Weird to see Sanders bringing back the "Capturing..." prelude style that has been dropped since.. book 4. In fact, his own Predator, Prey was the only other book that had "Capturing...", and while Gav's The Emperor Expects had something similar, it wasn't titled that. Most other books only had quotes.

Yes, it is something tiny and nitpicky, but its one more inconsistency that indicates that the series needed better editorial oversight. Doesn't help that this one brings up the Necrontyr and all...

I enjoyed chapter one in the same way I loved the first chapter in Predator, Prey: It gave a wider view of the war, which was long overdue. But I can't help but think that right before the Beast's fall, this is too little, too late when taking into account that this is book 11, not book 6 or even 9.

Chapter two's Vangorich was great, and I like the buildup for The Beheading there. While he has been shown to not be properly religious, he still maintains the illusion by praying and all that, so him actually requesting absolution was a good idea.

I didn't particularly like the third chapter though. Too much time spent on the duel, not enough on the actual reformation proposition. It just... happens. No debate, no argument, not even a real consideration from Thane if his Chapter will be okay with it. "Okay, bro, you're the Imperial Fists Chapter Master now and we'll engrave your name on Dorn's bones, have fun" - that's not the way I wanted this scene to play out. Yes, we all knew it would come to this from the fluff already and it was clearly visible from way earlier in the series anyway, but I wish there had been less battle, and more ceremony.

The setup for the Feast of Blades was nice, the battle was good, but the important, vital part of the chapter was rushed to the point where it sours my outlook for the rest of the story.

Totally agree with you. Strangely this novel missed a lot of points. And that 'ending' ....

And - PHALANX IS BACK OUT OF THE BLUE! biggrin.png

Noticed another odd thing: Sanders has the Fists Exemplar under Zerberyn refer to the Inquisition as the "Ordos", whereas all but Watchers in Death avoided calling them that (and even then that book discussed some points as to the Inquisition's upcoming reformation into the Ordos). The only other time the word Ordo even got mentioned was in relation to the Ordo Biologis.

Even if we allow for the split between the factions to be happening right there and then, it isn't plausible for Zerberyn and co to even know of it. They went off the radar too long ago and aren't even aware that Thane and co already know the solution ("dem orkz are vulnerable to psychic assault!") they want to hand to them.

Another piece of miscoordination there, I feel. Minor, yes, but adding it to the rest (including the Phalanx), it creates a bigger picture of disappointment on my end.

Noticed another odd thing: Sanders has the Fists Exemplar under Zerberyn refer to the Inquisition as the "Ordos", whereas all but Watchers in Death avoided calling them that (and even then that book discussed some points as to the Inquisition's upcoming reformation into the Ordos). The only other time the word Ordo even got mentioned was in relation to the Ordo Biologis.

Even if we allow for the split between the factions to be happening right there and then, it isn't plausible for Zerberyn and co to even know of it. They went off the radar too long ago and aren't even aware that Thane and co already know the solution ("dem orkz are vulnerable to psychic assault!") they want to hand to them.

Another piece of miscoordination there, I feel. Minor, yes, but adding it to the rest (including the Phalanx), it creates a bigger picture of disappointment on my end.

Totally agree with you again biggrin.png I'm shocked biggrin.png

First time in a long while that I've had to make notes on my kindle while reading. Yeah, the Phalanx is simply there and treated like the most common thing, unworthy of note or description, and Thane basically explains the exact same plan to the High Lords/Vangorich and Kubik as Koorland did in The Last Son of Dorn - just that this time they're thrilled and surprised by it?

Taken on its own, the book isn't bad so far. I like the way Sanders has handled a few scenes especially. But as part 11 of a series, it just disappoints me with its continuity issues.

Another thing that struck me in the meantime: Bohemond is completely irrelevant in this book it looks like. He is mentioned a few times, but its a far cry from previous installments. You'd think he'd be far more important after the character development he received in the past few books, especially with how The Last Son of Dorn ended.

In my eyes, having Thane fight a random veteran at the Feast of Blades was a big missed opportunity. Bohemond is the kind of character who would, like Thane, aim to honor Koorland personally by participating himself, not just sending a representative and then not even speaking his mind during Thane's proposal.

The public reformation scene was pretty good, at least. Still bothering me that it takes the book so long to actually make a move against the Beast, though.

Edit: Did anybody else notice that Vangorich is supposed to replace Mesring with a new high ecclesiarch, even though Koorland kicked that seat out and denounced the ecclesiarchy last time? Or that Veritus is only mentioned once in the book, but misspelled as Veritas?

Another thing that struck me in the meantime: Bohemond is completely irrelevant in this book it looks like. He is mentioned a few times, but its a far cry from previous installments. You'd think he'd be far more important after the character development he received in the past few books, especially with how The Last Son of Dorn ended.

In my eyes, having Thane fight a random veteran at the Feast of Blades was a big missed opportunity. Bohemond is the kind of character who would, like Thane, aim to honor Koorland personally by participating himself, not just sending a representative and then not even speaking his mind during Thane's proposal.

The public reformation scene was pretty good, at least. Still bothering me that it takes the book so long to actually make a move against the Beast, though.

Edit: Did anybody else notice that Vangorich is supposed to replace Mesring with a new high ecclesiarch, even though Koorland kicked that seat out and denounced the ecclesiarchy last time? Or that Veritus is only mentioned once in the book, but misspelled as Veritas?

Exactly - another explanation for rewritten and badly edited stuff. It seems even authors forgot some stuff and didn't communicate with one another

This Book seemed rushed . Sanders is one of my favorite authors . So far the series has been Meh but readable . I actually finished each book compared to 8 heresy stories.

Because it is. They used all the stuff for orcs already and editors were busy - add to that several rewrites and you will get all picture

This Book seemed rushed . Sanders is one of my favorite authors . So far the series has been Meh but readable . I actually finished each book compared to 8 heresy stories.

Because it is. They used all the stuff for orcs already and editors were busy - add to that several rewrites and you will get all picture

I got thatmsn-wink.gif . At least I could finish each book without putting it back on the shelfrolleyes.gif .

I think the whole beast death should of happened with the second attack, everything that happened bar the Imperial Fist re-forming should have happened with the second attack. Koorland still dies but that would leave the next book then to deal with the politics of the beast aftermath as well as more dedication to the Imperial Fist reforming etc. Now we have one book left which I think will rush the hell out of the grand ending.

Shame.

Finished my review of the book over here. Emperor be damned, that was tough. I'd have prefered a Life-Eater Virus on Ullanor over what actually happened in the book. Massive disappointment.

Omg - and you totally agree with me for a third time biggrin.png Even our reviews are very similar. Seems TBA is going into dark areas biggrin.png

Posted · Hidden by WarriorFish, October 28, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by WarriorFish, October 28, 2016 - No reason given
So who of both of you will invite the other on a romantic candlelight dinner and a drink? :D

Archived