The Beast Arises

Vorenus

It said the Phalanx was the largest Warp capable craft in the Imperium. Does that make it bigger than the Rock?

Does anyone know what it actually looks like?

The Phalanx was shown on the Soul Drinkers 6 cover, book titled Phalanx:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/4/45/Phalanx_wallpaper.jpg

Unfortunately the scale of that doesn't work biggrin.png the windows are too large for something babylon five or death star-sized (although this is true of all 40K space craft). i think it needs to allow more minificent details so as to appear more magnificent, and more technical. Actually why hasn't there been a 40K technical manual - it's the perfect IP! I guess the early Imperial Armour books kind of count, but they are restricted by model types... There is no deconstruction of a hive, no discussion of a transport network or the giant agricultural cutters in Malleus or the Imperial Palace in detail, etc.

Been reading through this thread and while I can understand the reasons for people being annoyed, I can't understand why people didn't expect this to happen when you look at the authors of the series. Maybe with the exception of Abnett, the others are perhaps the weakest writers in the BL stable. Thorpe ruined Raven Gaurd, just as Annandale has done for the Grey Knights. Sure, all you need in here is Kyme to write a book in the series and everyone will really be sad.

Call it subjective or objective it doesn't matter, there are good writers and bad. And this series unfortunately had the bad ones. Had ADB, Wraight or French had a hand in this we would be having a much different conversation.

Off topic but hopefully BL have the top lads on the final HH books.

I see TBA as a very interesting business experiment for BL, I'm just surprised we haven't seen a board game release of some kind to go with it. They had been playing around with subscriptions of varying sizes and price for a few years before this series started and despite some very bad decisions re plot consistency, in principle I believe this style of release really does have legs. As many have mentioned, over a set period a novel subscription could be used to pad out and explore so many different aspects and era's of the Imperium's history. I would hope that BL learn from this though, take on board fan base reaction and feedback and then strive to improve upon what they have achieved here.

I agree, as a concept it has a lot of promise. The problems were down to editorial nature and long delays, where the outlined story changed. We even saw stuff very late, like the Sisters of Silence cover disappearing. They started planning a long time ago, but then ended it on relatively short notice.

With this experience under the belt, and the Horus Heresy being in the last stages, it seems like stuff like this would be the ideal next big thing. They just need to plan it out better ahead of time, and hopefully return to 400 page novels and reduce the number of installments a little, depending on topic.

The Badab War would be a great thing to tackle here, and there's plenty of other relatively unexplored parts of the fluff that would lend themselves to this format.

Anyway, I'll hopefully get my review of The Beheading written up tomorrow and then I can go about my series review/retrospect, something I've laid out for myself already but couldn't type up before finishing it all. It's been a fun, if bumpy year.

It said the Phalanx was the largest Warp capable craft in the Imperium. Does that make it bigger than the Rock?

Does anyone know what it actually looks like?

The Phalanx was shown on the Soul Drinkers 6 cover, book titled Phalanx:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/4/45/Phalanx_wallpaper.jpg

Unfortunately the scale of that doesn't work biggrin.png the windows are too large for something babylon five or death star-sized (although this is true of all 40K space craft). i think it needs to allow more minificent details so as to appear more magnificent, and more technical. Actually why hasn't there been a 40K technical manual - it's the perfect IP! I guess the early Imperial Armour books kind of count, but they are restricted by model types... There is no deconstruction of a hive, no discussion of a transport network or the giant agricultural cutters in Malleus or the Imperial Palace in detail, etc.

Sadly there wasn't enough room to show the whole Phalanx. The artist could only draw Annex 6235-B-gamma before they ran out of space. tongue.png

I am in the same place as many people on this thread. TBA was overall a pretty satisfying and enjoyable experience. There were some weaker books but there were also some real corkers! Earlier on this thread I was pretty critical of The Shadow of Ullanor (and still maintain Rob Sanders may have been a plot victim of the excellent Last Son of Dorn by Guymer - Sanders is hit and miss for me, Predator Prey was great!)

I really hope this has been a success and BL decide to do more "sequential series" to cover other events in the 10k timeline.

Better/tighter editorial control and series planning would help. Possibly a smaller number of authors too?

While the concept of 12 "episodes" spread across a year makes lots of business sense I personally think TBA would have worked well as a 10 book series with the key plot points of Echoes of the Long War and Hunt for Vulkan combined and The Last Son of Dorn and Shadow of Ullanor combined (and therefore only two attacks on Ullanor).

That's recycled art of a ramilies class star fort, the same type the fists exemplar used as a chapter fort. It's an exact match of the old BFF model.

It's more that improper scale is an issue more widely across the IP. Something the 'realistic' demands of a tech manual, rpg or the like might help with. Actually how did the FFG books deal with this?

Not many other events happened in the 10k years between TBA and 40k did they. So probably nothing else will warrant a series to cover.

G0Zf8yi.jpg

Age of Apostasy, Nova-Terra Interregnum, Moirae Schism, War of the False Primarch, multiple Black Crusades...

TBA proved that time jumps can happen with relatively little disruption to the story.

The time jump in TBA was approx 100 years. The first 11 books covered a period of approx one year I think?

Even if every series published covered 100 years (which it wouldn't) then between the Horus Heresy and 40k we would have 100 series!

Personally I like TDF's list and there are many other entries on the timeline worth fleshing out and I really hope they do!

"Weakest writers" my backside. Abnett's tied for worst in the series. But hey, let's overhype the same authors over and over...

That's why I said 'maybe' Abnett included as well. He has some good stuff along with weaker stuff. He does however have technical prose far superior to the others. I wouldn't say they're overhyped, their publications speak for themselves and sets them a tier above.

I don't know but if you think Abnett is one of the weakest, where does that leave guys like Thorpe, Swallow and Kyme? As Abnett is far above them. Some of their writing is like what I did for my secondary school exams.

I couldn't disagree more! Dinosaurs have been basically extinct in media, especially movies, since Jurassic Park 3. There's been very little done with them until very recently, and even then those cases are the exception, not the rule. Comparing them to media's love for Zombies is preposterous. They're not even on the same planet of saturation, even if you count dinosaur erotica novels (yes, they exist).

As someone who has loved dinosaurs since very early childhood, there's a significant lack of them to enjoy. They used to be everywhere in the 90s, and then it seems like another meteor crushed down on them. I've been sick of zombies for 10 years at least, and yet they still keep coming. There haven't even been any notable video games tackling dinosaurs in recent history, probably not since Dino Crisis jumped the shark and went to space. At this point I'd kill for a survival horror experience with FarCry level vegetation set in a Jurassic Park...

Archived