dark vengence expansion desicions

Dukeawesome1

hello brothers, I recently just got into the game, and excited to play. I'm having trouble deciding what units I should make out of the box. I am really hoping to make death wing knights solely for there flavor and look, I don't care if they suck or not. my problem is that I don't know if I should make a raven wing bike squad, black knights, or the command squad? I'm also having trouble picking between the Nephilim jet fighter, or the dark talon. I was told that both of those models at one point where horrible, but now pretty decent. some other models I have in my collection is the dark vengeance starter set, 1 additional tactical squad with a plasma gun and missile launcher, 1 squat squad with snipers, and one predator with lascannons and side heavy bolters. any feed back would help. I love the idea of a true dark angels army with the green, raven, and death wing all on the same table. also any ideas of formations and future units would also be appreciated.

the sad reality is that you cant really achieve the triumvirate without causing one side to be shoe-horned in. i tend to recommend players pick two and be happy with that, or that they then introduce a very small amount of the third in the form of a utility pick. for example if one takens normal marine and ravenwing taking a venerable dreadnaught with a lascannon can cover your deathwing or maybe taking a land raider standard as a way of body blocking parts of the enemy from shooting at you because they cant cut through his av14 hull and hes big enough to deny LoS and since many land raiders are deathwing and as a result covers them.

and this is at the high end of general points play like 2000+, at anything less there realy isnt even points for the double team unless your bringing ravens with normal marines (because deathwing units that arent dreadnaughts cost a kings ransom of points).

as for what you make from the box thats up to you but im going to recommend the following:

blank knight command squad , dark talon, more deathwing terminators.

deathwing knights are sort of a land raider or nothing unit if you dont have plans to get a raider soon they probably wont be very productive on the table because their gunfire bait untl they get into CC. deathwing terminators in theory here can deepstrike and immedeately be productive, this rarely works the way it should with them shooting and then charging to avoid being shot up too badly but one can dream. the black knights are picked because now your only three normal knights from a command squad in full which are phenomonal as a unit, and three regular bikes away from a ravenwing bike team as well.

the dark talon is silly good in matchups where the other guy doesnt have a plane, he can just dump wounds all over people and hes a hard counter to necron reanimation shennanigans. the nephilim has no guarantee he will be useful even when the other guy has no plane which means he gets to strafing run.

to grow your army from where you are now its probably a good time to consider what second wng you want to grow and flesh out to accompany your normal marines and then treat the units you have as a way to spice things up from time to time or to take up points your not spending in your CAD or lions blade or whathaveyou

Archived