Take the fight to the enemy quick question

jbaeza94

Hey so the question came up about run then shoot vs shot then run and when you do it.

Example:

My DW squad deep strikes (which in turn makes those necrons deep trike also, i don't know what they're called, but they get to shoot on my turn). Do I move and shoot/ shoot and move immediately, or do i do it in their respective phases? This can affect the number of shots i can get off at him.

Another thing. I heard mention of being able to charge as well, as the move, is this true?

You're talking about Necron Deathmarks.  Their Ethereal Interception rules says " . . . immediately after an enemy unit arrives from Deep Strike Reserve this unit may choose to immediately arrive using the rules for Deep Strike.  At the end of that enemy Movement phase, any friendly Deathmarks unit that arrived on the board in this manner during that turn may fire its weapons at any enemy unit that arrived from Reserve that phase"

So the order things happen is like this:  At the start of your turn you roll for your reserves, your reserves arrive on the table, immediately after a deep striking unit arrives the Deathmarks arrive by deep strike, after all of your available reserves are moved or place on the table you continue with the movement phase for the rest of your army, at the end of your movement phase the Deathmarks may shoot at one of your units that arrived from reserve (not necessarily the deep strikers that triggered their arrival), during the shooting phase your Deathwing squad may then shoot and run or run and shoot.

Hey so the question came up about run then shoot vs shot then run and when you do it.

Example:

My DW squad deep strikes (which in turn makes those necrons deep trike also, i don't know what they're called, but they get to shoot on my turn). Do I move and shoot/ shoot and move immediately, or do i do it in their respective phases? This can affect the number of shots i can get off at him.

Another thing. I heard mention of being able to charge as well, as the move, is this true?

To the last, no.  Read the Deep Strike and Reserves rules, and highlight only the relevant sentences. Both sections very explicitly state that units which arrive from Reserves/Deep Strike can NOT assault on the turn they arrive (nor use any special rules that must be used at the beginning of a turn). The only thing that will countermand these core rules are special rules that very explicitly state that a unit with such rules CAN assault on the turn it arrives from Reserves/Deep Strike.  No such special rules exist anywhere in Codex: Dark Angels, and there are very, very few instances of such rules in the entirety of the game, the current rules trend being the authors of the rules wanting any unit to have at least one opportunity to do something before getting assaulted by nearly any enemy unit.

As to how Deep Strike, Necron Deathmarks, and Take the Fight to the Enemy works, here we go...

1. Place one model on the target spot of the unit's Deep Stike.

2. Roll for scatter if you don't have Belial in the unit, or a teleport homer or locator beacon nearby.

3. Once you have determined where the arrival spot is, place the rest of the unit's models around the first, in a circular pattern, in base-to-base contact.  This counts as the unit's movement for the Movement Phase.  Now, the Necron Deathmarks get to do the same.  Complete any other movment for you army.  Once your army is done moving, it is now the end of the Movement Phase, and so the shooting portion of the Necron Deathmark's Ethereal Interception rule kicks in: "At the end of that enemy Movement phase, any friendly Deathmarks unit that arrived on the board in this manner during that turn may fire its weapons at any enemy unit that arrived from Reserves that phase; any Deathmarks unit that does so cannot fire its weapons in its following turn."  Yes, the Necron Deathmarks get to shoot your Deep Striking units (Terminators or otherwise) *RIGHT NOW*, before your units even get to their Shooting Phase.  Just make sure the Necron player doesn't shoot the Deathmarks again in their own following turn, as the Ethereal Interception rules state they cannot fire in the following turn - a (usually) honest mistake that is too easy to make.

4. During the Shooting Phase of the turn, the Terminator's Take the Fight to the Enemy rule allows them to choose to either Run and then Shoot, or Shoot and then Run.  As Terminators are Relentless, the unit can fire any weapons as if it were stationary (i.e. to full effect).

Archived