I require aid and inspiration for a conversion

Frater Cornelius

I decided to give DA another go next to my GK and the conversion work has resumed. However, I hit a snag. The regular RW Biker. I am aiming to make a knight-themed army. I got the Black Knights on Demigryphs, I will use a kitbash of GW bits and Dreamforge Eisenkern Troopers for my Marines, TDA will be a mix between GK TDA, DA TDA and Stormcast Eternals.

But now I am stuck. Regular RW bikers are not special enough to be mounted on Demigryphs as well. However, horses are really stretching it. It is pretty hard to let go of my disbelief as it is. But something mechanical would not really fit the theme.

If anyone has an idea of how to make horse-bikers believable or has an alternative idea, I would appreciate your input.

Cheers :)

Have often thought they would look good on lions. Even checked out the high elf chariot that is pulled by a couple of them but never got round to it.

If SW can have thunderwolves I don't see why it won't work.

Would love to see some photos of your conversions

Well, it is not the animals I am worried about. A Demigryph looks like it could handle a big of combat, especially in rough environment, where smaller things have trouble to move. However, what to use as mounts that looks less impressive than a Demi? Horses is the only thing that comes to mind when looking through the GW website, bu those are too damn frail in my eyes.

Ya horses would be to frail to hold up a power armored space marine. Those old horse riding IG guys made it work thou.

I'm doing a similar knight theme for my lion's blade just without bikes. All robes and old tech. A more grim, stoic chapter. Nothing flashy except for the company master and termies cuz they earned a bit of bling. Trying to fit in power swords wherever I can just for looks sake.

For me, Marines riding animals is unbelievable as is, no matter the animal they ride, it needs to be one hell of a beast to withstand nearly one ton of transhuman on it's back so maybe an elefant would be ideal animal. Short of that just put them on wolves... GW already has the model so you need only to unbling the SW and bling it to a DA.

One other thing is that people will assume that mounted Marines are cavalry,not bikes so you can run into questions more often.

PS: Maybe velociraptors or gw cold ones could be a choice.

Will do. You sure they are big enough though?

As an option, look at pictures of different horse breeds. If you could mod the horses to look like a draft horse, it might look less frail that way. The European knights rode heavy horses, which I do believe would be what we now call draft horses.

Well, given that a Demigryph is beefier and more robust than a Thunderwolf, I think they will be up to the task, especially if they are bred with state of the art enhancements. Denser muscles, higher tolerance for pain, thicker bones and armour plates.

Remember, in the fluff, Thunderwolves are as big as APCs.

As for the Chaos horses, I forgot they existed :D Yeah, these horses are also bigger and beefier than TWC.

Well, the one thing that stands in the way is my own disbelief. I mean, why use mounted combat when you have tanks? But that is another topic for another thread. Anyway, I am looking at Chaos Horses now. They might fit. After all, it is just regular bikers. They are meant to shoot you and get away in time. The melee guys, aka Command Squad, is mounted on things that look like they can take a hit.

I converted a bunch of Ravenwing bikers to ride High Elf lions a few years ago.  They were meant to be allied Thunderwolf Cav, but I never finished making my SW Allied detachment.  The themes I was kicking around at the time was that they were DA who were trapped on a planet and thought killed, and recovered centuries later.  Their equipment had largely broken down and they had adapted as best they could.  I will try and dig them out, since they are in a box and post a few pictures.  In general though I agree that the lions are not quite large enough, so the marines on their backs seem a little large for the animal they are riding.

After doing my own research I found a picture of space marines on horses, apparently they used chaos warrior horses and put in marine bodies, just de-chaosed the horse.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Knights

These horses. The marines looked properly sized and the horses like adeptus horstartes

edited for image

This is inspiring for a RW Command Squad. Out of curiosity, does anyone have any examples of how you would model the Plasma Talons on a mount instead of a bike? 

I would imagine mounted along either the head or the neck armor, maybe held on by chains. The head would look cool, I feel it would deafen the animal, but could lead to more accurate fire if the horse's mind was somehow liked to the space marine targeting relay. You could use the same plasma talon bits, then greenstuff a harness like object. Around the jaw would look cooli think.

There's a high likelihood that theses 'horses' are bio-engineered anyway, so perhaps the headmount wouldn't adversely affect them after all. At least, not in a way that matters to the Imperium....

I saw this guy over on 4th Co Librarium with headmounts.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q286/Codicier_Ignatius/IMGP0261_zps8e31ea6a.jpg

Edit: Turns out the creator is on B & C, Codicier Ignatius. Just wanna make sure I give appropriate credit. Also, see this link to his blog for a Captain and Command Squad in this style: http://fourthcompanylibrarium.blogspot.ca/2014/05/background-captain-amalric-of-fourth.html

Archived