To Vindicator or not to Vindicator?

Ovidius Incertus

I just built up a Vindicator that I got for a steal and I plan to get two more of the FW Deimos pattern ones.

But I'm waffling over whether to paint one or two for my Flesh Tearers, or take all 3 and paint them for my Iron Hands allied force.

Pros to the IH assignment is that they can squadron up and all 3 would only take up one HS slot.

For consideration, I have a Sicaran and Fire Raptor for the FTs but don't really have any really high S shooting in the force aside from meltas.  I plan on adding a laser destroyer Vindicator and a Deredeo w/plasma cannonade to the FT force in the near future.

I have some Rapiers (both HB and LD) that have not been painted up yet and I am unsure whether to paint them as FT or IH; I was thinking keeping the HB in FT colors and the LD in IH livery.

Thoughts?

Fast Vindicators are much better than regular ones. 

Also, keep in mind that if you squadron three vindictors to save on FoC slots, those three vindicators then have to fire at the same target. If you take three separate fast BA vindicators, they can each threaten a different enemy unit. 

A Single fast windicator might be better than three slow ones. As soon as one dies or cannnot move, you lose the mega blast. The extra 6" range might catch people off guard. 

Ultimately, theres nothing stopping you from painting one as FT and two as IH, then still using all three in the formation.

One thing I will suggest is that whatever you choose, model on (and pay for) a Stormbolter. That way, you get a chance to save the Demolisher cannon on a weapon destroyed result.

Sods law as well that the Storm bolter will ALWAYS kill something when the piecplate fails to. They use the good bolts on the pintle storm bolters.

There is that. Also, I would expect our Vindicators to get squadron rules in due course.

They really just need to publish a few new dataslates either online or in White dwarf with updates. Money wise, it makes sense to publish it as a digital only supplement. Spin it as new exciting content or whatever but throw us a bone!

Well they have the codex on the iTunes Store, so that means they could easily release rules updates to the eBook version. That would leave physical book owners a bit high and dry though, mostly likely getting a pdf errata with the rules changes. But I think any of the physical book owners would be fine referencing an extra piece of paper if that meant they got vehicle squadrons and 4 attack dreadnoughts etc

This is why i'm a firm favorite of doing successor chapter schemes.  That way you can rock BA rules and SM rules under the same scheme.  

I find 1x Vindy to be really hit and miss ("lol") - But, multiple vindies I find very good.  I also ran the linebreaker squad (or whatever its called) recently - and its really, really good.  Not only do you get the nasty 10" ignore cover template, but if you do choose to fire 3 blasts if you so desire.  And even if one gets damaged, you can still fire two more.  

Also, its 9x AV13 HP - and you can play the cup game with them in terms of HP lost and really make it work. 360 is a sizeable investment, but i think worth it in a lot of metas.

Archived