2k Loyalist Iron Warriors

thedrifter777

So I'm thinking of taking the plunge into a 30k army. My local gaming group has a strong community and I'd like to try my hand. I want to play a loyalist army but not one I can play in 40k and IWs seemed pretty cool. Nothing is set so please let me know what I can improve upon.

HQ: 195

Kyr Vahlen (195): Pride of the Legion

Elites: 380

Contemptor (205): Kheres, Graviton

Contemptor (205): Kheres, Graviton

Troops: 770

10 Veterans (235): Sniper

Rhino

10 Veterans (235): Sniper

Rhino

5 Siege Terminators: 1 Chainfist

Heavy Support: 620

5 Havoks (215): Missile Launchers

5 Havoks (215): Missile Launchers

Sicaran Venator (190)

Total: 1995

Not bad! A few things to keep in mind:

- Pride of the Legion is great, but if you lose those Vets and Siege Tyrants, you give the opponent another VP. Kyr Vhalen is also a Warsmith, so he gives up 2 VPs if he dies! Combining the 2 potential negatives can be disastrous. Don't change anything if you want to run Vets still, but bear it in mind when you play.

- Kyr Vhalen has "Master of Fortifications", which means you really want to have a Fortification. An Imperial Bastion or Wall of Martyrs Bunker are perfect for the +1 AV, and whatever unit goes inside can use his Warlord Trait to re-roll 1's. He can sit in the unit to defend it with "Shatter Assault" and repair the building with his servo-arm.

- combining the 2 Havoc units will save you points for a Fortification, and give you a perfect unit to put inside it.

Everything you've taken is pretty solid - got your bases covered quite well. :)

EDIT: you might want to remove the specific poinst costs as per the forum rules. Things like the Veterans that have upgrades are fine, but the Sicaran is stock, so the price is clearly shown (which is cannot be). :)

Thanks for the great suggestions. I didn't realize battlesmith gave up an extra VP too wacko.png . Made some revisions; more of a foot list but I think has more firepower. Centurion obviously goes with the termies.

HQ: 130

Centurion (130): Siege Breaker, Cataphractii Armor

Elites: 665

10 Siege Terminators (545)

2 Apothecary (120): AA, Augury Scanner

Troops: 57

20 Marines (285): Vexilia

Sergeant, AA, Power Axe, Meltabombs

20 Marines (285): Vexilia

Sergeant, AA, Power Axe, Meltabombs

Heavy Support: 635

5 Havoks (265): Lascannons

Deredeo (185)

Deredeo (185)

Total: 2000

It's a very different list! I liked that you had Kyr Vhalen before - he's a strong choice and a Loyalist, so he fits in well.

Tactical Squads tend to be an all-or-nothing unit. Keep them 10-strong with minimal upgrades, or go 20-strong with the works: Apothecary, additional combat blades, plus gear on the Sergeant. Iron Warriors usually don't need vexilla as they don't care about Morale from shooting, and get a re-roll on Pinning. 2 big squads will also be very unwieldy on the tabletop, so consider dropping 1 to a 10-man objective grabber.

You've got a lot of Strength 8 shooting, but not a lot to deal with Super-heavies or flare-shielded Spartans. Actually, I think I like the original list more, but that's just my 2 cents.

So I got in a proxy practice game and made some revision based on the results. Blobs are great but too vulnerable to the 30k weapons. Also, flare shielded spartans, no real answer. I do want to try Kyr Valen as well since he is so cinematic. Obviously a gun-line approach but seems like heavy, heavy firepower. Let me know what I can improve upon.

HQ: 195

Kyr Vahlen (195): Hammer of Olympia

Elites: 420

5 Siege Terminators (300): Chainfist

2 Quad Mortars (120)

Troops: 555

10 Marines (185)

Rhino

10 Marines (185)

Rhino

10 Marines (185)

Rhino