Forge world Vehicles, Worth It?

jbaeza94

Hey guys, im hoping to start modelling my diy chapter based on DA rules soon. My chapter has various mk of armor and vehicles. Meaning i might have a deimos predator (ac/hb) in a squadron of 2 more "modern" predators as the lead vehicle. I'll have a squad of mk3 PA and one in mk7 (right?). I'm even going to have Hekaton Aiakos as a venerable dreadnought for my "deathwing". But seeing all the other vehicles, it got me thinking, are they worth it? I would have to change my list up a bit and take a cad, but is destructor vindicator, or one of those fancy land raiders, or even the contemptor dreadnought worth taking? Or are they game breaking and gimmicky? What should i look into and stay away from, if there are any obvious ones.

As far as Marines go, nothing is broken. People might complain about the dual kheres assault Cannon contemptor but because the cheese mongers field 2 or 3 of them. If it makes you happy and your gaming group doesn't put any objections don't shy away from FW stuff.

I second what Luc' and Immersturm said : the contemptor is nive and tough but not unkillable (the last time I've played mine he get killed on turn one by a flying tyrant using his double devourer :blink: )... Maybe the BS5 is a little over the top but nothing unplayable.

I still have to find an occasion to use my sicaran but on paper he looks nice and the model looks even nicer.

Don't forget the flyers : storm eagle and fire raptor can be nice additions too.

I've also some love for the scorpius WW... 1d3 template S6AP3 anyone?

Most of the FW vehicles are really good, both in terms of their models and rules. Stand-outs for me include the Sicaran, the Laser Vindicator and the Contemptor Mortis. One thing to be aware of with the FW dreadnoughts is that they haven't been updated in line with the new Marine and DA books, so they're still on 2 attacks (but I imagine few people would have an issue with that getting house ruled). The Rapier weapons platforms are also really good for their points.

@Master Avoghai; The Contemptor Mortis is no longer BS5, they changed that in its most recent rules :(. The Regular Contemptor is still WS5, however.

the two latest additions are incredibly useful. as an owner to one and a guy who has made his own of the second i will share my thoughts:

the deredeo dreadnaught (or as i call it the Doritos dreadnaught because mine is green like mountain dew) is perhaps the best flakk gun available to space marines with his awesome s8 ap4 heavy 4 auto-cannon and the ability to bypass things like imperial knights void shields with his aelios and have d3x2 shots from a pair of heavy flamers its really tough to not have him trade well with just about any conventional unit in 40k with the hellfire plasma cannonade perhaps being the single most powerful plasma weapon you can get that isnt mounted to a titan or superheavy (on top of having the coolest name) the deredeo is simply amazing if a bit oddly designed (though he grows on you). its also more resilient than most dreadnaughts because he has relic plating pre-installed where even a contempor mortis has to buy it. making him resilient to drop melta in say a farsight bomb or grav chute tempestus. it also isnt a relic of the armory meaning you can take more than one, a unique benefit he also has property over versus other forgeworld dreads.

the vindicator laser destroyers is our other new toy and i have a lot to say on him too. your vindicator laser destroyer is ment as a direct alternative to the predator annihilator. with his laser destroyer battery he can pump out roughly the same amount of damage as an annihilator for 10 points less in cost. and against a single target standing across from both tanks stationary the vindicator is statistically more likely to kill it versus the predator because hes ap1. this however comes at the price; the laser destoyer doesnt have a turret or sponsons. this means that in order to hit targets still in motion or that attempt to get away from his gun he must turn or move and any time he does that his power drops significantly if he moves 12" not only is he snapshotting he is also only firing one lascannon instead of three 1/3 of his firepower. in addition he has gets hot if he fires all barrels, however it is the tau definition of that rule not the imperiums. he still gets to fire his guns as normal, and then he takes his gets hot check at the end of the phase only overheating on a 1. what this loosely translates too is that if your in a situation with lots of scattered terrain the predator is better, but against the narrow streets of a cities of death map or in a situation where he can sit on elevation and shoot with free reign over angles he is the undisputed master of punishing tanks. in theory here two vindicator laser destroyers are enough sum total firepower to strip a gladius of every free razorback and rhino in two-3 turns and a lions blade (with veterans) in 3-4 thats scary.. really really scary. (and a reason to not run a gladius in cities of death against a guy who posesses a tank destroyer or three). i own one and love him because picking terrain with your opponent turns into how to stop my laser destroyer from glancng your leman russes to death, or how to avoid it from reducing your trukks to goo in single volleys when i grabbed the styrafoam hill taller than a bastion at its summit.

id like to give special mention to the land raider excelsior/rhino primaris combo, their basically built for the dark angels and while their not forgeworld they make some incredible gimmick tricks like hit n run deathwing knights letting you embark back into a land raider to avoid damage, or give your tactical marines skyfire meaning they can kill weak planes like dakka jets.

like hit n run deathwing knights letting you embark back into a land raider to avoid damage

lolwut.  You may want to go back and reread your BRB on how disembarking/reembarking works, can only be done on your turn during the movement phase.  I hope you havn't been using that tactic for too long against people.

Unless you are talking about using hit n run during your opponents turn to get near the land raider, then in your following turn using their movement phase to get back inside the transport, but what would the point of that be?  you would almost always be better suited using hit n run on them to charge back into the same unit or slingshot into combat with something else in their backline.  I can think of very few circumstances where wasting a whole game turn for your DW knights to get back inside a land raider that has already delivered them to combat would be a good idea, unless its a last game turn objective grab or something, so Im not sure I understand the logic here unless you are just flat out using them and that rule incorrectly.

P.S. The Deredeo is a Relic of the Armoury, it's right there on the pdf, might want to check the rules on that again too.  You also say he comes with "relic plating" preinstalled, if you are talking about armoured ceramite, thats still a 20 point upgrade for him same as the others.

The sicaran... beautiful tank and that ignores jink autocannon is cool! I think my Iron Lions will be receiving a nice toy :) I will also be looking into the scorpius, maybe I'll run in a squadron of whirlwinds as a count as some games and some games have it rain template krak missles!!

Most of the recent updates are in Imperial Armour Volume 2, 2nd edition.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-DE/Imperial-Armour-Volume-Two-War-Machines-of-the-Adeptus-Astartes-Second-Edition

Anything not included in that book usually has the rules posted on the Forge World website.  Click on the particular item you want rules for and scroll down looking for the tab that says "Download".  Example:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-DE/Deredeo-Pattern-Dreadnought

I was thinking about going the FW route and ordering their Reinforced Land Raider Armour. Does anyone know if it would work with a Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer?

Anyway, FW's Land Raider variants look top-notch. Is it the MkIIB that has the big cannon? I can't remember but I'd get that one and name it "Lion's Roar" or some other lion sounding name.

like hit n run deathwing knights letting you embark back into a land raider to avoid damage

lolwut. You may want to go back and reread your BRB on how disembarking/reembarking works, can only be done on your turn during the movement phase. I hope you havn't been using that tactic for too long against people.

Unless you are talking about using hit n run during your opponents turn to get near the land raider, then in your following turn using their movement phase to get back inside the transport, but what would the point of that be? you would almost always be better suited using hit n run on them to charge back into the same unit or slingshot into combat with something else in their backline. I can think of very few circumstances where wasting a whole game turn for your DW knights to get back inside a land raider that has already delivered them to combat would be a good idea, unless its a last game turn objective grab or something, so Im not sure I understand the logic here unless you are just flat out using them and that rule incorrectly.

P.S. The Deredeo is a Relic of the Armoury, it's right there on the pdf, might want to check the rules on that again too. You also say he comes with "relic plating" preinstalled, if you are talking about armoured ceramite, thats still a 20 point upgrade for him same as the others.

the biggest problem with dwk's is that you are vulnerable when they finish pummeling someone, i often use a kill, re-embark disembark charge again system with my knights so that they are in the safety of the land raiders thick skin as much as possible, sometimes this is a bad idea and i forgo it but this system ensures something catastrophic cant happen like getting shot with things like vindicator shells and av4 massed shooting. which they cant respond too if its further away than 8-10". keeping them out of the line of fire for as long as possible helps make them trade out a bunch, it also means i can get out of CC's that have gone south by potentially getting around corners of buildings and doing things to buy me time to get them to safety. the only thing more dangrous than deathwing knights is knights your deathstar has to engage on your terms. also granting them hit n run can be used to pain train. knights beat up a unit and then use H&R to exit combat and be in a position to charge someone else next turn leaving them to get mopped up by other units like assault marines or ravenwing bikes.

and yes im sorry, but were dark angels we have interrogator chaplains the relic of the armoury rule might as well as not exist anyway, and the deredeo is so strong one might only ever need the one anyway

I was thinking about going the FW route and ordering their Reinforced Land Raider Armour. Does anyone know if it would work with a Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer?

Anyway, FW's Land Raider variants look top-notch. Is it the MkIIB that has the big cannon? I can't remember but I'd get that one and name it "Lion's Roar" or some other lion sounding name.

the armor kit works for all land raiders, note your probably going to want to take your side guns off before you put the plates on, ideally during model creation.

the IIB is just a different version of the standard land raider isnt it? the thing has the same weapons as the land raider standard anyway and the same carrying capacity.

Just watch out with the reinforced Landraider armour (not the whole side plate the individual smaller plates kit) as the front/front side plates don't fit with the frag assault launchers so you'll need to do some trimming to the plate.

Edit: You beat me Cypher 102.

Welll....moderation in all things...

I have one LRTU.  Three would be stupid broken (fifteen lascannon shots, 9 of them twinlinked!)  I also have one Avenger Strike Fighter.  I have two griffons (much less mathhammer-y than the wyvern!)

A buddy of mine (I'm looking at you, Paul!) has like a dozen magnetized mortis contemptors...that's OP, especially when he's spamming dual godhammers with skyfire on demand!

March10k, of course moderation, cheese is only fun once in a while, and only if your on the giving end. I don't think I'd ever field more than 3 fw units in a game, and it would probably be a tank (sicaran or vindicator) or a contemptor. Maybe one day I'll field everything against my SW buddy! Something I was thinking about is LoG:Battle of Sarosh on a vindicator destroyer, overcharged, bye bye space puppy gunship ha

My current FW wet dreams are the knight-lancer and that new tau titan...at 170 and 250 pounds sterling, they're not likely to wind up on my painting table any time soon...but...wow.  The knight-lancer is the ultimate FU to anyone else's super-heavy walker, and the KX139, aesthetically, is everything the stormsurge should have been...

My current FW wet dreams are the knight-lancer and that new tau titan...at 170 and 250 pounds sterling, they're not likely to wind up on my painting table any time soon...but...wow. The knight-lancer is the ultimate FU to anyone else's super-heavy walker, and the KX139, aesthetically, is everything the stormsurge should have been...

except you know the supremacy is so broken it might as well have pay2win written on the box, a friend of mine crunched the numbers and between the stormsurge formation and the supremacy an the riptides you can wipe an entire board (potentially) in one turn of shooting or leave so little left you could send kroot hounds in and probably mop up.

It might not be easy, but if you took a Lancer and just bumrushed him towards the supremacy and get him in cc, I thin he'd be done for. But that would be a lot of fire coming at him. A knight atrapos I think would have a better shot still. An extra hull point, plus reroll 1s on d and vehicle damage charts at less than 12", plus regain hull points on a 6. Also twin linked. I would still consider it a suicide unit.

It might not be easy, but if you took a Lancer and just bumrushed him towards the supremacy and get him in cc, I thin he'd be done for. But that would be a lot of fire coming at him. A knight atrapos I think would have a better shot still. An extra hull point, plus reroll 1s on d and vehicle damage charts at less than 12", plus regain hull points on a 6. Also twin linked. I would still consider it a suicide unit.

and thats a MOUNTAIN of points to be using on a suicide unit, an impractical amount of points.

the tidewall is also silly strong because the thing can move 6" every turn in a straight line forward or back, however i dont think the tidewall will see play for a few reasons:

quake weapons like the thunderfire and land raider achillies hard counter its ability to move, it cant cross ANY terrain when moving a single crater or dead rhino means it cant travel in that direction, in addition cities of deat makes it worthless as if i kill the crew inside of it via say a whirlwind squadron which is a fraction of the points ive blocked the road and made only jump infantry possible to advance, ive essentially denied all board control and won the game there n then strategically as crisis suits are great but by themselves fall prey to lots of things like black knights that can deny them effective dynamic entry due to H&R or simply outnumbering them. the fianl problem is that if you manage to take it early youve essentially give the enemy one or two free hammerheads and that would just tickle say an ork lime green (finally he can shoot and not miss! dude the dream!) and just make you hate the tidewall more than love it. the tidewall also is hard countered by the fortress of redemption, for a fraction of the price you can hellstorm missle the whole rampart and potentialy flatten the units inside, if you take an autoglance not auto-pen so ap is irrelevant against the redemption aka the largest hull point pool of any structure in 40k that can be fielded with points.

Archived