Forge world Vehicles, Worth It?

jbaeza94

I think some of the FW knights are a good fit for DA, primarily because we're not optimized for antitank shooting.  That means we have to get across the table and punch them.  A knight actually does that cheaper and faster (if it's fast, like the lancer) than a crusaderload of thundernators, and the knight is a little harder to kill than a land raider, so...

Which knight do you think would best support da? The castigator seems very anti infantry, in thatit can wipe out huge numbers, potentially anything in base contact. And s10, although not d, still destroy any vehicle, but for the points, would a d weapon and 4+invuln in cc be worth the trade off? I refer to the lancer.

Well...DA overall doesn't struggle to deal with large numbers of infantry (whirlwinds, heavy bolter devs, dual-flamer assault marines, etc), although DW does...so I guess it depends on the rest of your list.  Your choice of knights is going to depend on the role you want him to play, of course! 

As someone who owns and uses Forgeworld extensively there are 4 vehicles which are a must buy, and completely transform any Marine army.

1: Sicaran Tank - This is what a Predator should be. Quality dakka in terms of Str and volume, on a fast vehicle that can re-position easily.

2: Deredeo Dreadnough - The best vehicle at stripping hull-points, and it offers the best Marine AA in the game without any support required.

3: Vindicator Laser Destroyer - Incredibly effective anti armour, re-roll to hit with ordinance. 2 of these will reliably destroy and Imperial Knight in one turn. NOT a relic vehicle!

4: Typhon Heavy Siege Tank - No, it's not cheesy. Sometimes it's actually necessary! This vehicle can be used to remove blobs of Necrons in cover, or cripple a Tau buff-mander with Broadsides in a shot. A fantastic unit that easily fits into a force, keep it away from D packing Eldar!

Posted · Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, October 23, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, October 23, 2015 - No reason given

As someone who owns and uses Forgeworld extensively there are 4 vehicles which are a must buy, and completely transform any Marine army.

1: Sicaran Tank - This is what a Predator should be. Quality dakka in terms of Str and volume, on a fast vehicle that can re-position easily.

2: Deredeo Dreadnough - The best vehicle at stripping hull-points, and it offers the best Marine AA in the game without any support required.

3: Vindicator Laser Destroyer - Incredibly effective anti armour, re-roll to hit with ordinance. 2 of these will reliably destroy and Imperial Knight in one turn. NOT a relic vehicle!

4: Typhon Heavy Siege Tank - No, it's not cheesy. Sometimes it's actually necessary! This vehicle can be used to remove blobs of Necrons in cover, or cripple a Tau buff-mander with Broadsides in a shot. A fantastic unit that easily fits into a force, keep it away from D packing Eldar!

i kind of rather like the legion glaive as well though its 30k only, i kinda wish we could take it

Forge world vehicles can fill some great gaps in a Dark Angels army, and a secondary detachment of Librarian + 2x scout squads is only 175 points.  Divination librarians are always good, and outflanking ObSec scouts have won me games several times.  Adding a fortification and a FW vehicle can really round out a Demi Company or Lion's Blade.

I am a fan of the Mortis Dreadnought and the Predator Executioner.

In reference to an earlier post where I was referring to the MkIIB Land Raider, I have found what I was talking about. Apparently, Forge World has a website where they sell models. Those products have pictures and, through scanning the Land Raider variants, I have found what I was talking about. This was not exactly news to me, but I digress.

The Achilles-Alpha Pattern Land Raider.

How cool does that thing look? I must possess one for my Chapter. Anyway, I suggest going with that, jbaeza94, based purely on looks alone. It's secondary armaments include Twin-linked Multi-meltas or Twin-linked Volkite Culverins housed in side sponsons. The TL Multi-meltas would be great for, uh, melting things. The Volkite Culverins, on the other hand, are good for going choom, I think.

In reference to an earlier post where I was referring to the MkIIB Land Raider, I have found what I was talking about. Apparently, Forge World has a website where they sell models. Those products have pictures and, through scanning the Land Raider variants, I have found what I was talking about. This was not exactly news to me, but I digress.

The Achilles-Alpha Pattern Land Raider.

How cool does that thing look? I must possess one for my Chapter. Anyway, I suggest going with that, jbaeza94, based purely on looks alone. It's secondary armaments include Twin-linked Multi-meltas or Twin-linked Volkite Culverins housed in side sponsons. The TL Multi-meltas would be great for, uh, melting things. The Volkite Culverins, on the other hand, are good for going choom, I think.

the Achilles used to be a lot more broken back when we had deathwing vehicle and the power field generator, a 4++, reroll pen results, melta immune land raider that can buy a relic of iwnd through IA 3 was sick as all heck and people theorized it could potentially survive anything

@Sypid, is the autocannon mortis still our go to guy?

Also on dreads, even though the contemptor has good armor and a save, with its 2 attack base, is it actually still worth taking with a dccw? I feel like the new dreads spoiled me, and only a mortis contemptor is good as a drop pod dread

@Mehman so many toys!so little money! I love all the mkii land raiders, i think they fit will with the whole mixed armor pstterns of my diy chapter. Also i don't know how i would implement all these toys into my lists! Eh, they could always just sit on display

@Sypid, is the autocannon mortis still our go to guy?

Also on dreads, even though the contemptor has good armor and a save, with its 2 attack base, is it actually still worth taking with a dccw? I feel like the new dreads spoiled me, and only a mortis contemptor is good as a drop pod dread

@Mehman so many toys!so little money! I love all the mkii land raiders, i think they fit will with the whole mixed armor pstterns of my diy chapter. Also i don't know how i would implement all these toys into my lists! Eh, they could always just sit on display

Autocannon is very good, Lascannon is terrifying but expensive, ML is decent and cheap.  I've run them in groups of 2 for great effect against skimmer and flyer based armies.  The HB version is ok against infantry but the Skyfire/Interceptor rules are kind of wasted.

Contemptors aren't worth it at all until their rules get updated.

The shooting variants are all worse than the Deredeo, and the cc variants are worse than an Ironclad.

incorrect the best dread for cc is now the leviathan with its power drill of death, av13 hull, invulnerable save, and ludicrous special rules suite.

The above being said the contempor is still an okay dread for cc considering we don't get the ironclad and the venerable and chaplain are about even when you consider that the chaplain has his 4+ invul and hatred and the venerable has his ws5, venerable, and his acceptance in normal 40k unlike a forge world walker.

The standard dread is the only one I deem obsolete, unless your takin a lions blade there's no point in owning a dreadnaught that can be shot to death by plasma guns in the back, and that drops to missle salvos long before he will ever make his points back, he's a relic of days gone by that sounds good on paper right until you start discussing ork Kanz and you realize how much of a raw deal your getting in his av11 hide

The Leviathan is the same cost as a Wraithknight, almost as much as an Imperial Knight after a few mandatory upgrades.

It can't take a drop pod eithet. Not a competitive option at all.

Mortis contemptor with lascannons...dual godhammers with on-demand skyfire!!  That's got utility you can't really get anywhere else.  The only thing is, you have to give them void shield coverage, deploy them in ruins, or something like that...they're not that hard to kill, and as hard as they hit, they'll be priority targets.

Archived