Terryn Knight & Ultramarines Invictarii by Awaken Realms

Awaken_Realms

Hello,

Recently we had the pleasure of doing two showcase pieces for a customer’s Ultramarines army – a honour guard of Invictarii Suzerian (which are wonderfully designed, massive, yet elegant and detailed models, full of noble feel of the XIII Legion) and an allied Terryn Imperial Knight done in a heavily weathered manner, yet still retaining the household coat of arms.

The theme was based also upon the ruined, marble building falling to the lava pool (which was reflected on both infantry squad and Knight) and the common foe of the army – Necrons

It was a great fun to do!

Take a look at both Knight (you may find him also in our gallery) and Invictarii squad (also to be found in the gallery)

cdf6b89217515a207ca0c7af6866ad4d.jpg

4b9a9f5f90f171173263a1cae534dffc.jpg

343525339be50e65212ec5a949a09ee8.jpg

9d5bb2fa3b608a93eaeab1ee248d447e.jpg

f10183bf9b5adea60b6eb0da543b679a.jpg

0df53bd9b2b16dd4e7aa7abda7482d35.jpg

dd29bd27b0aac80b6c4b91f9dd3a7be1.jpg

58380cd887c4a6d9f625f69120a42d40.jpg

461b7d57774decf5101be571a58461e2.jpg

Would you like to see more models done like that? What is your favourite element of these models?smile.png

The paintjob on the Knight is absolutely wonderful, because you've actually managed to combine the very complex heraldry and striking blue with some beautiful weathering effects. If there is one thing that detracts from the overall model, in my opinion, it's the base: While it's also beautifully painted, it does look to staged for my taste -- like, well, a base for a miniature, rather than an actual slice of the world for the model to inhabit. I think the main problem is the height of those two pillars of stone and brickword the Knight is standing on.

The Invictarii, likewise, are wonderfully painted and quite striking. But once again, I cannot help feeling that slightly more restrained bases would have made them even better -- sometimes less is more.

Now don't take this the wrong way: The models are beautiful, and I could never possibly come up with something only half as striking. But the bases, though cool, do increase the "artificial", for lack of a better word, nature of the pieces, and I just wanted to point that out.

In any case, though, please continue to showcase your stunning work like this!

It's always the bases with you...... biggrin.png

That's because bases are actually much more important than most people realise. Seriously.

And sometimes the person who's ordering some models wishes to have them done in a way that will be of his liking;) But we're thankful of your feedback - keep it up please:)

@ Awaken_Realms: Oh, right, I totally didn't account for that option in my comment -- that's a pretty valid reason, of course msn-wink.gif And anyway, like I said, the models are stunning, make no mistake.

Completely aware here that it was a constructive criticism, worry not - thank you for your oppinion! ;)

Those Ultras are just amazing. I wish my phone would load better close ups of them. I wasn't sure about some of the Ultra sculpts, but with paint on them they are awesome. From what I've seen I think y'all are the best commission studio around right now. Congratulations I love your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived