Rebirth of a Spartan Assault Tank

DarthAngel

So yesterday a friend called me and asked for some bits in exchange of his old Land Raider.. It took a little for me to say yes, of course I would want an extra Land Raider to add to my Iron Hands army!

Well.. This is what I got.. Should've known better, damn Ork players.. biggrin.png (the lascannon sponsons are mine, I just forgot to take pics before I started working)

gallery_75096_11385_13352.jpg

So my first problem was that I had not a one excess Land Raider part.. I was thinking if there was any way to salvage anything on the poor thing, and after a while I opened my IA2. Spartan caught my eye and not only would it be cool, it would probably be the easiest to build from scratch (because that was pretty much all I had)..

gallery_75096_11385_4376.jpg

I first built the sponson-weapons and the front assault ramp to give it it's distinctive features. The quad-lascannons were quite easily crafted from Centurion lascannons and Rhino's top hatches were a perfect in size for the ramp. Once I got them done I measured something for the roof and ended up using my old Vindicator's roof part (sob..)

(First size comparison, I was on the right tracks..)

gallery_75096_11385_127730.jpg

Next phase was the most problematic part of the building - the front.. I spent almost 6 hours searching for parts, measuring, fitting, searching for parts, re-fitting and in the end, I think I got it more-or-less alright.

gallery_75096_11385_6867.jpg

So now I'm waiting for my friend to build me new tracks for it but other than that, it's almost done (a little green stuff here and there..)

So what do you think? Size ok, the front? Are the lascannon barrels too short?

An ambitious project, to say the least! While it doesn't have the same bulk or size as the Forge World one, it is definitely recognisable as being a Spartan (or, at least, I would accept it as one ;)). And the lascannons aren't too short.

Thank you all, glad you like it!

I just ordered the liberator 1.0 tank tracks for the bad boy, and put a coat of black primer over it. I also added more details on it, most importantly on the front so it wouldn't look so "bare".

Will post some pics probably this evening (having some trouble posting direct pics w/ my phone), until then you can check them out

at the link below:

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11385/gallery_75096_11385_435095.jpg

stay tuned, I will probably add a small background on the vehicle since Dolchiate Remembrancer was kind enough to give me an idea for the name ;)

Blood and Skulls Industry is certainly legit (the chap who creates them, Machinator, even has an account here). However, I'm on the other side of the pond so I always wonder how much extra I'll be set back...

• 4 months later...

Howdy!

Though I've got a lot of to do lately I thought posting some WIP pics at last.

gallery_75096_11385_255916.jpg

So the treads are in place and a coat of primer is added so far. I started to paint it last weekend but was caught up with something else.. (snow.. A lot of snow..)

gallery_75096_11385_54640.jpg

It turned out to be just big enough, notably taller and longer than an mk2 land raider! I'm so happy with it so far and I'm thrilled to get it painted so I can get take it to the battle soon!

Sorry to keep you guys waiting - more to come!

• 3 months later...

Running Vehicle Status...

Class - Spartan Assault Tank... Identification - Ferrum Incarnatus...

Hull Test - Completed...

Weapons Test - Completed...

Hydraulic Test - Completed...

Electronic Test - Completed...

Condition - Vehicle Battle Ready...

Behold brothers! From the wreckage recovered from the hands of foul xenos, re-sanctioned and purified, re-configured and ready to serve the Emperor once more, I give you - Ferrum Incarnatus!

gallery_75096_11385_111329.jpg

gallery_75096_11385_66898.jpg

gallery_75096_11385_94947.jpg

gallery_75096_11385_48891.jpg

The project lasted longer than intended but at last the noble beast of war is ready to roam the fields of battle once again!

The project was so much fun and personally challenged me both in building and painting stages, and therefor I'm so happy I got the bad boy ready and painted!

Thank you all for your comments and interest!

Wow! If you had just posted the before and after pics without context, I doubt I would be able to tell that beauty was built out of what was handed to you! Job well done sir, it looks really cool. Hope it fares well on the tabletop! 

Archived