Devastators

gav1892

So ive got 2 5 man squads of devs but i was thinking about getting rid of them and using the new design boxes of dev along with a BA tactical squad to make 2 ten man squads. Are the new kits any better? more dynamic looking than the old ones? Also what have people found to be the best arrangement? i was thinking maybe a squad with 5 ML and a squad with 5 LC. Just a shame we cant use the Grav Cannons.

First, you can only get 4 heavy weapons per squad, regardless of size.

The new devastator squad is really nice - the new sculpts GW has put out are super high quality and pretty easy to put together (though I had trouble assembling the grav cannons). There is also a sweet kneeling pose that I really like for a ML or LC.

I would put together the ML and the Lascannon models, (each box should be able to make 2), and then sell the grav cannons on ebay - they are a pretty desirable bit.

I've had luck with the 5 man, 4 ML squad. It's not too expensive and throws out decent firepower. I assume the LC option would be the same - a little more expensive and a little less flexible against hordes without the 4 blasts (though hordes aren't really a BA problem).

You can also splash 1 LC in with a squad of ML to make use of the sergeant's signum and that sweet BS 5.

Finally, I usually find my devastators conscripted into 5-man tactical squads to serve as their heavy weapons. I've also considered running 5 man, 2 heavy weapon teams in rhinos - that way the two heavies can fire out of the top. It isn't very expensive if you're going for a MSU-style list - something more in line with what you're seeing from vanilla space marine gladius strike force lists.

All said, building up 4 ML and 4 LC will get you the most bang for your buck, IMO. Grav cannons are awesome as well if you have the extra marine bodies to put them on and can wait for the next BA update to get them rolled in (or don't care if you play by the "rules").

Cheers guys i meant to say 4 HW i keep forgetting the SGT is generally useless without the Signum. The thing with PC is the whole gets hot rule. I intend to combat squad them with the 5 bolter guys almost acting as a shield to protect the LC and ML.

Its a 1/18 chance.

In a 6 turn game, a 1w model should only die once every 3 games.

a 4 Cannon dev squad should expect to lose one man per game to gets got.

Forgot to mention, all 4 Gets Hot deaths happened in a single round. Logically you are correct but anecdotally it just seems too risky.

They did kill my vindicator so they made some of their points back I guess.

Gets hot isn't so bad, even if you lose a guy it can actually work in your favour, your opponent will laugh and immediately forget about the threat they present smile.png

Or you could attach a Sanguinary Priest to the unit for FNP on the gets hot save (and all the other saves of course) and make your opponent work to kill your devastators that you doubt placed in good cover ;)

"Gets hot" is a risk I'm totally willing to take. A bit too often my PCs haven't had the range. Would love it if the PC had 2 firing modes: 36" blast or 48" not-blast (or BEAM!).

Anyway:

Which color for devastator weapons?

I have 4 Heavy Bolters and 4 Missile Launchers that needs some paint.

Black is boring.

My ASM and Tacs have yellow swords/guns (Which has looked AWESOME since 2nd Ed.). But I don't image a bit, yellow block of heavy bolter will look good.

I have a very, very dark green I might try. Or perhaps copper / tin bitz.

Missile launchers with flakk are ok as a Swiss Army knife option, but under whelming. Heavy bolters and multi melter are pointless imo. Preds with over charged engines are far superior as a las cannon platform then devastators, as you can out manuver your oponent very easily to get a shot at his side armour.

Plasma cannons with a pressianced Libby in some cover can be awesome or spend the whole game doing absolutely nothing depending on how you places them how you deploy and the amount of line of sight blocking terrain.

By far your best option is to use the sky hammer annihilation force foramation and give give each dev squad 2 heavy graves.

"Gets hot" is a risk I'm totally willing to take. A bit too often my PCs haven't had the range. Would love it if the PC had 2 firing modes: 36" blast or 48" not-blast (or BEAM!).

Anyway:

Which color for devastator weapons?

I have 4 Heavy Bolters and 4 Missile Launchers that needs some paint.

Black is boring.

My ASM and Tacs have yellow swords/guns (Which has looked AWESOME since 2nd Ed.). But I don't image a bit, yellow block of heavy bolter will look good.

I have a very, very dark green I might try. Or perhaps copper / tin bitz.

I sometimes paint my weapons with gold metal and white casing (you can refer to the sternguard in my pic gallery for reference). That coloration is more reserved for master-crafted/relic weaponry, but hey, if you want giant, gaudy Plasma Cannons I sure won't try to stop you :P

Archived