Pronunciation of 'Baal'

LutherMax

The case is that despite the obviosity of relations warhammer uses this in manner as recent Ghost keel.

Because they can't simply write Ghost kill.

So they slightly shift all that obvious connections.

Apart from the 'keel' is part of the hull of a ship.

I've always pronounced it "Bar-l", as "aa" isn't really a native English combination, so I tend to default to the most usually encountered source of "aa", which are Dutch (or Afrikaans) loan words. However, my ancient Semitic scholarship isn't great, so I'm happy to be advised!

"Bael" to my eyes could be pronounced "bile", if following Classical Latin (or Sindarin...) conventions.

I'm slightly obsessed with the vagaries of English vowel sounds at present, as I'm helping my five year old learn to read. Oh, the fun I anticipate when we get to "ough"...

Diablo 2 pronounces it as Bale, and that was the first time I think I'd heard it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ7KgW_yi3E

Also, Tyriel is pronounced like an I, which is how I pronounce Tyranids.

As a side note, I think it would be awesome to have a scene like that in 40k.

In the end, I think it comes down to person. There probably isn't a "wrong" way to say it.

In standard British English, "ball" is pronounced "borl" rather than "bahl", which just demonstrates how complicated this discussion gets without having the International Phonetic Alphabet available on my 'phone.

Oh and I tend to say "tie-rannids", like "tie-rant" (but say "tirrany"). Definitely some Br Eng vs Am Eng pronunciation issues here.

In standard British English, "ball" is pronounced "borl" rather than "bahl", which just demonstrates how complicated this discussion gets without having the International Phonetic Alphabet available on my 'phone.

Oh and I tend to say "tie-rannids", like "tie-rant" (but say "tirrany"). Definitely some Br Eng vs Am Eng pronunciation issues here.

Well I posted earlier how GW (the English guy) pronounced Tyranids, and it's the same way as every American I've heard pronounce it (but I'm from Oklahoma, so we don't exactly pronounce things the same, either).

Well, this topic has proved unexpectedly fascinating, and has opened up a veritable linguistic can of worms!

As RedemptionNL said way back in the second reply, I think it's a safe bet that the name comes from the Demon Baal, considering the similarity to other naming conventions associated with Blood Angels (Dante, Mephiston etc).

The Wikipedia page states that name should be pronounced:

beɪl / BAYL (just like most English-speaking people would pronounce "bail", as in getting out of jail)

As written, I would (and do) pronounce it differently: "bahl", or "barl" – it's difficult to know how people will interpret the phonetics but hopefully you know what I mean.

The third camp seems to be those who pronounce it "borl" – the same as ball as in (foot)ball. This jars with me – too many potential innuendos!

Archived