Ad-mech 40k gaming league progress

Targetlock

hi all :)

So today i was able to play the first games in the 40k gaming league today at my local gaming store, using my combined Skitarri/cult force. heres my list:

Cult Mechanicus Congregation

> Dominus, Raiment of the Technomartyr, Conversion Field: 145

> Kataphron Destroyers, 1 extra member: 220

> Kataphron Destroyers, 1 extra member: 220

Skitarri Maniple

> Vanguard, Full Squad, Omnispex, Plasma Caliver : 140

> Rangers, Full Squad, Omnispex, Arc Rifle  : 145

> Vanguard, Full Squad, Omnispex, Arc Rifle : 125

Total: 995

Game 1: Grey Knights (8-0 Victory)

This game very quickly turned into a massacre, i was able to kill off both his dreadknights in the first turn with gravcannon. i then spent th next few turns picking off the rest of his units piece by piece eventually wiping him off the table by the end of turn 4. only lost a few models, not a whole unit.

Game 2: Dark Angels (6-6 Draw)

This game was much closer with several units causing problems, a drop podding tactical squad dropping in and killing off a vanguard squad in the first turn. though the main fight was a long drawn out fight between a command squad and my warlord and kataphrons, terrible dice rolls ensured the survival of my models in the fight, while storm shields keeping them alive. the dark angle player was able to grab thanks to killing off the warlord and sweeping advance forward to claim line-breaker.

Two fun games, about 6 left to go :)  (dark eldar, space wolves, daemonkin, chaos daemons, tau and one other)

will do, playing again on saturday not sure who though. the one game im not looking forward to is the dark eldar, mainly because the opponent is annoyingly smug having not lost a game in ages with his force (though to be honest ive only lost one game with my ad-mech and that was the first one) and hos army is top of the league at the moment.

Today was not a good day for the ad-mech sad.png

Game 3: Dark Eldar (6-5 loss) scenario shadows of mystery or something?

This game soon turned into a frustrating blood bath having a lot of trouble trying to get through their damn cover saves (2+ on the first turn on their vehicles! 3+ most of the game!) and getting outmanoeuvred and getting shot to pieces, managed to keep it to not too much of a loss thanks to some lucky objective cards, and my dominus refusing to give in.

Game 4: Tau (18-0 loss)

what a horrible game, the army consisted of a pathfinder drone team thingy with stupid cover saves with a shed load of marker lights, shadowsun, two riptides and a lot of kroot. i could kill the kroot the easily and my kataphrons were picked off fairly early on, though they did badly damage one riptide.

I lost by so many points thanks to the fact each objective marker gives 3pts each and he had all of them plus slay the warlord, first blood and linebreaker.

Wins: 1 Draw: 1 Loss: 2

And about 4 games left.

it was 1000pts and yeah two riptides was horrible combined with a drone team with a shed-load of high BS marker lights (commander attached with drone controller i believe), shadowsun and a bucket load of kroot.

my other opponents I know I'm facing:

> Daemon force consisting of Belakor, Bloodthirster with big axe and a Tzeentch daemon prince. very nasty hoping my grav and buckets of radium can bring them down.

> Daemonkin force of a unit berserkers in a rhino, chaos marine unit, a daemon prince and a heldrake. main threat is the heldrake, but one hit with my grav-cannons could send it crashing. 

> space wolves, a rune priest, two grey hunter squads and a knight warden

Not quite as cheesy as the other forces i played yesterday, got a fair chance against them i believe. i cant win the league (the cheesy eldar and tau forces are ahead) but hopefully finish in the top half.

Yeah tau are pretty rough for most of admech to deal with. Kastelans can stand up to them though. With 5++ and FNP(w/ toughness 7) you atleast get to take saves against thier shooting. Which most of the other admech units can't do.

Daemons should go well. They'll give you enough time to take out thier major threats before your models get removed.

The space wolves list will be a kill or be killed against the warden. I think that game will be won or lost based on who goes first.

yeah shooty Vs shooty especially against Tau(such a yin-yang army - you gotta love playing as them but also you gotta hate playing against them).

i'm going to guess once you get more games under your belt and you find your pro's/con's with your army you may end up being the smug player instead of Mr Deldar there msn-wink.gif

at least your facing a very tough variation of forces so your not fooled into any combo early on that you think might be your Ad-mech Deathstar. this will be a very good platform for building up our Skitarii knowledge hard Data accumulation...

although the armies using named characters puts you at a slight disadvantage(since we have no big gun characters to speak of...) like shadowsun and 2 riptides in a 1000 pt army is a bit rich huh.png.

good luck with your future games and please keep reporting your games.

Cheers, Mithril

Yeah the Deldar proably wont give you too much of a problem when you know how to deal with it, but Tau will always be tough. They just have some really strong stuff that lets them shoot you up while being kinda safe from your shooting that pure admech doesn't have. Drop pods make skitarii very strong as it lets you shift that paradigm, but if he takes a bunch of intercepter maybe that might still throw a wrench in your plans??? 

My most recent way of just dealing with it is elimincation maniple(Full Phos bots, all grav & Phos{want to try plasma but too chicken})  + corhort cybernetica (1 power fist, 4 carapase phos, IWND & eradication ray, Cognis). The kataphrons are really easy to hide behind a pieace of terrain out of line of sight until i get a good shot, and then just move them and take my free shots. Once they are out from hiding, if possible i'll target down any units who could get a shot on them with the corhort and elimincation maniple. It kind of like "protect the kataphrons". Any shots at the kastelans are fine, as a whole line of suits w/ light assistance fried at my cohort for 4 or 5 good turns and only took out a robot and a datasmith.  The ignore cover buff is mainly for taking out big nasties otherwise they usualy all fire at seperate targets.

Ive been allowed by the manager to use the horus heresy stuff as allies :) so been looking at them recently to add to my army like decent armour (nasty land raiders, thanatars and other nasty stuff) and ways of dealing with those pesky Jink saves (lower their saves from thallax and ocularis servo-skulls) because i realise if can beat through their pesky cover i can knock out their transports and wipe them out. just something different from the drop pod option.

But this of course future ideas :)

If you take Mechanicum stuff, darkfire cannons shut down riptides and thallax can catch the suits and fold them in combat (especially Ferox). Shame about no sweeping, too.

Outshooting Tau is a rough order.

yeah, i will do up a new thread about the mechanicum stuff as allies once i get through the league.

I don't forge world, as i feel it's usualy more on the op side (oppsoite to GW). So I have no idea about mechanicum stuff, but i really think a more kastelan heavy list will do great. I kind of feel cult mechanicus is actually really weak out side of war convocation or mono cult. Mainly because thier unit's aren't super worth it unless you atleast get constant tier 2 canticles.

edit: It's kind of like allying tau for a couple crisis suits. It'll do alright, but not as awesome as they are with marker lights. BS 3 is kind of poor, and the kataphrons while toughness 5 are still pretty squishy, and will die about as fast as vanguards. 

Skitarrii would work great as a army with pods allies 

no league updates today??? 

I don't forge world, as i feel it's usualy more on the op side (oppsoite to GW).

That's definitely not true.

I agree with Terminus. After half a dozen games, I have the impression that I save my 40k Cult for high end play, while stick with 30k Mechanicum for friendly and narrative games.

Also, if 30k is an option, Graviton Imploders might interest you. They are basically 4 shot Grav Guns, while their wielders have BS5 and Preferred Enemy Everything.

no league update as I was at a party for halloween this weekend but this upcoming saturday there should be more games :)

yeah i agree about the cult mechanicus stuff, its definitely not a force designed to work solo and really needs support to work, the same with skitarri but not so much.

Actually I was saying the opposite. The cult units need T2 or better canticles to really pack that punch, and be really strong. They bring everything you need in an army on thier own between the kastelans and kataphrons, but they arnt points effect if they don't get some good canticle uses early on.

Skit however need transports to really bring thier powerful weapons to bear otherwise you'll just see 100s of points just disappear off the table before they really get close enough to do anything.

no league update as I was at a party for halloween this weekend but this upcoming saturday there should be more games smile.png

yeah i agree about the cult mechanicus stuff, its definitely not a force designed to work solo and really needs support to work, the same with skitarri but not so much.

Cult + IK works really well.

True, but I should have also said at <1000 points

gaming progress for the mechanicus :)

Game 5: Chaos Daemons (5-0 Victory)

This daemon force consisted of Belakor, Bloodthirster with big axe and a Tzeentch daemon prince

This game turned into a shooting gallery very quickly, with a unlucky charge roll by the bloodthirster missing out on a early charge then reduced to 2 wounds by over watch then finished off next turn. i then lost a kataphron unit from charging and a vanguard unit but this enabled to me to wipe them out in the shooting phase and be'lakor finally losing his last wound to overwatch :) 

Game 6: Space Wolves (7-7 Draw)

Space wolf army consisted of TDA rune priest with grey hunters, a blood claw unit in drop pod and a knight warden.

This game was an odd game of attrition and was very close, my opponent finally getting first blood on turn 4! as suspected i was unable to do much to the knight so concentrated much of my fire on the other units and holding onto my objectives. i was losing by victory points but was able to turn it around thanks to several lucky cards towards the end plus slaying the warlord. my warlord survived just, his kataphron unit dying to knight then surviving 9 wounds from the avenger gatling cannon, he only had one wound left at that point.

overall a good day for the Mechanicus with one game left to play against Daemonkin. i am currently at 3rd place on the league table :D ( 1 pt for losing, 2 for draws and 3 for win and keeping track of victory points in case of draws) 

Wins: 2  Draws: 2  Losses:

Be careful of the daemon kin, as instant-blood thirsters are very mean. Maybe focus on getting units down but avoid outright killing them? they wouldn't get blood tithe points then while helping you get objectives.  Maybe.

Otherwise, good job on the victories! Glory to Mars! 

Archived