Sanguinary Priests and Death Company

SM1981

They go together like eggs and bacon. The tactical advantages of pairing these up as a suicide / spearhead squad and sending them in to ruin your opponents day is fairly obvious.

Also from a fluff point of view having a priest on hand to collect the gene seed of the fallen marines also makes sense.

So bearing in mind the above, is there an assigned character model for this function, or is it just an obvious hole that GW are ignoring?

Would check the Codex but I'm on holiday, and my copy should hopefully be waiting for me on the doorstep when I get home (along with 10 more DC and 20 Vanguard Vets!).

Anyone have any knowledge to drop on me?

Well, you'd just use the Sanguinary priest model... Right? Sadly on the table top it's almost a waste to have a priest with DC, as they already have FNP.

If it made it 4+ FNP, it'd be amazing, but it does not. WS5 is nice though, but really a chaplain can give rerolls which are better.

Just found a thing online about a guy called Lamentarios. Basically answers the question completely. Now here's hoping there are some cool rules for him on the way. And of course it's another mini to add to the buy now, paint later backlog I'm building up!

Just found a thing online about a guy called Lamentarios. Basically answers the question completely. Now here's hoping there are some cool rules for him on the way. 

"Lamentarios" was just a name they gave to the new priest when they released him last year. His rules are that of a normal priest, so unfortunately, no new ones.

Perhaps from a fluff standpoint they go together to a certain degree (although sending more or less your field surgeon with the suicide squad doesn't make sense from a tactical standpoint at all), but rules wise, they don't go together that well. You'll be doubling up on FNP (1 from the SP, the other from the DC) doesn't really make much sense. Upping their WS with the Blood Chalice is worth mentioning, but I don't really see it as worth it when you could attach a chaplain and just give them rerolls

If you were instead referring to chaplains and DC, I'm in complete agreement.

Todays egg and  bacon is sanguinary priest with sanguinary guard.

Todays DC have only one bacon which is Astorath.

DC also work well with Dante. Hit&Run on a unit with all those charge bonuses is not to be underestimated. Plus Dante is a sufficient beat-stick to take on most enemy characters while the DC deal with the chaff.

DC also work well with Dante. Hit&Run on a unit with all those charge bonuses is not to be underestimated. Plus Dante is a sufficient beat-stick to take on most enemy characters while the DC deal with the chaff.

Especially if you season to taste with Chaplains, Lemartes or otherwise...

Yeah i could have used dante yesterday. My 10 DC Squad with 1x PF & TH and Astorath attached got assaultet by a soul grinder and stucked there for the entire game.

The posibilitty to get of the combat and recharge with S9 and more attacks would have been great.

Especially if you season to taste with Chaplains, Lemartes or otherwise...

Hey first post! Getting back into the hobby after years away and rolling BA because I never got to enjoy the hobby as a kid and their fluff/play style is still the most badass. 

Anyways... I am planning to do something similar to this as the core of my army. In 1500 I am thinking it is too much points on characters but might work for 1850-2000?

The plan is 2 DC units of somewhere between 6-10 1 with Astorath and the other with Dante. Thinking Stormraven 1 with a dreadnought and the other deepstrike?

What are rules for IC leaving and joining squads during game (is Astorath IC I do not remember). I assume Dante can hope out or into the squad as he pleases while they are not in combat... but can he jump out while in melee? Either as a general rule (all IC can do) or because of his special hit and run ability? Would he have to take the DC with him or could he leave them in combat?

*** oh also was going to make a topic. Awhile back while still lurking there was a post about painting BA more realistically and guilded... someone posted some really awesome Death Company that were a very dark red/crimson. I have been trying to find the thread but no luck so far if anyone could help that would be great :D

Models can only join or leave units in the movement phase. As Dante cannot move in the movement phase, he cannot leave, unless I am mistaken.

I'd also start with both DC squads on the board.

5DC with astorath in a raven and 10 dc with dante deepstriking is 750plus points of your army not involved in the game until T3 at the earliest, which is a sure fire way to lose.

Just because you can deepstrike, doesnt mean you should.

As Dante cannot move in the movement phase...

I take it you mean 'when locked in combat' he cannot move in the movement phase?

But with Hit & Run you can break off from combat at the end of the opponents turn, then in your movement phase split Dante from his unit.

As Dante cannot move in the movement phase...

I take it you mean 'when locked in combat' he cannot move in the movement phase?

But with Hit & Run you can break off from combat at the end of the opponents turn, then in your movement phase split Dante from his unit.

Yes, you can do that, however that is not what the OP wants to do.

He wants dante to split off on his own using H+R. I'm saying hat he can only leave the unit in the movement phase. If Dante uses H+R, the unit must go with him.

Yes, but after Hitting & Running, Dante can go off on his own and the other unit can charge right back in, achieving the same purpose, no?

True, and that is the better way, but that was't the question that was asked ;)

Would he have to take the DC with him or could he leave them in combat?

The Answer is no, the DC have to go with him, but as you saz, they can charge right back in again on your own turn

Haha thanks for the clarification. When I was looking at it on my own that was the conclusion I came to (wasnt really understanding when hit and run takes place in the flow of phases really) and it would be more beneficial to bring the DC out to recharge. I guess the only problem where it would be a negative would be if it was a crowded area with room for Dante to hope out to to set up for the new target but not enough room for the DC to fit.... if that makes sense.

It sounds like the only thing that determines is he is part of the unit is being in unit cohesion distance (2in?) not a declaration that he is in the unit.... guess will have to keep aware if jumping out and splitting them up that their distance is wide enough that the opponent can not say... hey he is close enough he is in the unit... charging 2 units so now its a (w/e the term is) charge and lose the bonuses. 

Models can only join or leave units in the movement phase. As Dante cannot move in the movement phase, he cannot leave, unless I am mistaken.

I'd also start with both DC squads on the board.

5DC with astorath in a raven and 10 dc with dante deepstriking is 750plus points of your army not involved in the game until T3 at the earliest, which is a sure fire way to lose.

Just because you can deepstrike, doesnt mean you should.

That is a fear i will have to think about some more. I am kinda planning the majority of the rest of the army to be long range support (dev, scout snipers, combat squad tact) sittign in the back on and over watching objectives ideally in good cover to withstand even a lot of fire. Death company to come in with a hard punch to clear out their back units once they split and/or to bog them down in the midfield if they group.... aiming for capitalizing on an opponents movement mistakes but I realize that will only work against some opponents and some styles of play so will have to be more flexible.

Ill think of starting 1 unit on and maybe SR being just fire support or maybe switch up for CC scouts and put them in there etc. 

Archived