Equipping a TDA Librarian

Xenith

The clue's in the title, how are you arming your TDA librarians these days?

The Storm shield I don't see as a necessity any more, as we have stronger characters and sergeants to deal with challenges, not to mention the change in wound allocation.

Since the dawn of the new psychic phase, arming a librarian with a ranged weapon has become a viable option: The humble storm bolter for a little damage output, a combi plasma for additional AP2, alternatively, I can swap a weapon for the Fury of Baal or Valour's edge, for an extra attack on the force weapon (but at cost).

What force weapons are we going with also? Is the sword still the best to take advantage of Red Thirst. Perhaps a staff / maul? Units of TDA often lack the higher speed attacks.

I'm considering something odd like combi weapon and force staff.

Can't you just give them a bolt pistol? Thats cheap and gives them an extra attack.

if not a combi grav is interesting. Plucking a wound off a big nasty before you charge (and reducing initiative in the process) helps out some

2 for 2 there, Bad Dice, TDA Librarians can take neither bolt pistols or combi grav msn-wink.gif

The flamer might be interesting, also the plasma.

The general question was: Is the Storm Shield still, essentially, compulsory?

Storm shield, gallians staff and Auspex?

Staff and combi plasma?

Shield, axe. The shield might not be a necessity, but it's still plain better.

So the axe is still best? To keep him out of combat until I1 pile in?

So combi gravs for some reason can't be taken by Termie Librarians but a power armored Librarian, a scout sergeant, Tactical sergeant, Assault sergeant, Devastator sergeant etc etc can...

is this just some notmal GW copy paste laziness? Can vanilla Terminator Librarians?

Just checked BattleScribe. .. Vanilla can't either. I guess I can understand why- a one use 3 shot relentless Grav would simply be game breaking!

just keep the libbie cheap. If he is running with assault termies he is just there to buff right? Can he really add anymore to the fight a bunch of hammers wont?

Since his shooting is lack luster anyway, maybe a auspex as others said. Might as well reduce a cover save a little to help someone elae out

Also the +1S is really useful if you're going to be trying to Force a (G)MC to death. It means you can actually hurt a Wraithknight on the turns after you charge, or if you get charged, and it means you're wounding bloodthirsters on 5s, or 4s on the charge.

The staff, of course, does better on that front, but ap4 isn't great in the monstrous creature hunting game. A Riptide will just laugh at your one or two wounds, Force or not.

Gallian's staff has a niche, of course, making him a reasonable chunk more reliable at getting off the powers you want. And if not a stormshield, a combimelta isn't a bad plan. Only one melta shot, but that could mean the difference between charging a land raider and charging its comparably juicy innards. Combiflamer is always fun to guarantee 1-3 hits on overarching, or to put some wounds on something hordey. Auspex is a neat idea, but doesn't synergise well with Assault termiators.

Thanks for the thoughts, all!

Auspex is a neat idea, but doesn't synergise well with Assault termiators.

The idea would be that he auspexes one enemy unit (which doesn't count as choosing a target) then charges another. For 5 pts it isn't too bad!

So it looks like I'm going to have to make two terminators, one with axe, one with staff, then magnetise their secondary arms.

I have a jump pack lib with force sword and bolt pistol and a TDA librarian with force axe and storm shield. I think that set up works pretty well.

Oh and a random question, can I use my invulnerable save against wounds from perils of the warp? (Sorry new to actually playing)

Oh and a random question, can I use my invulnerable save against wounds from perils of the warp? (Sorry new to actually playing)

Nope, the peril wounds allow no save. You could however gain a chance to avoid actually taking a wound by getting FNP.

Welcome to the forums!

It's exactly as Quixus says, Perils otW specifically says it allows no save roll, however Feen No Pain specifically states that it is not a save roll, so is perfectly fine to use.

As I forgot I already have the staff/storm bolter metal TDA model, it's looking like Axe/shield! I'll probably magnetise the shield arm to wield a combi plasma...

Archived