Painting Advice: Prime the Whole Model Black?

Rommel44

Hey mates. Got the first few models made and build and looking to start priming them here in a bit. Just to get an idea so that they look pretty good, how do you go about doing that? At the moment, this is what I was planning doing:

* Prime the fully built model Black (including Shoulder Pads).

* Wash the Black with a black wash obviously.

* Do a layer of Codex Gray for the Shoulder Pads, Followed by a coat or two of White.

* Touch up from there.

Anyone else have done somethign like this when painting your Black Templars? The model themselves are no a problem, the only niche I am trying to figure out is the process of painting the Shoulder Pads. Anty advice you expereicned players can give me would be greatly apprciated.

I go air black 2 layers straight onto the model unless it's metal or resin. Then basic colors for body/armor/weapon parts, washes in appropriate colors, additional highlighting, washing and filling to taste then end finish my black highlights with cobalt gray and pale gray blue.

I prime the body black and the shoulder pads white separately.

This is a good idea, but many of us are lazy when it comes to that. We'd rather have the whole model assembled.

Personally, I primed grey, painted mechanicus standard grey, and black washed till I was satisfied. That being said, the old codex (4th edition) contains a painting guide for using black and then simply highlighting the models. I'm going to give this a try on my new models to see if I prefer it.

I always prime all black including pads. You should check out my tutorial on painting white pads here

I'm curious, why would you prime black and then wash black? You won't see the wash at all if the model is already black.  Also I wouldn't prime gray and then wash black unless you are going for a more worn and damaged look. Washes do not tend to spread evenly enough for something like that. 

I'm curious, why would you prime black and then wash black? You won't see the wash at all if the model is already black.  Also I wouldn't prime gray and then wash black unless you are going for a more worn and damaged look. Washes do not tend to spread evenly enough for something like that. 

Very true.  And it will be a real problem if and when you try and match the black of vehicles to your infantry.  Doing a heavy wash across the whole topside of a Landraider without getting any ugly pooling or streaking isn't a challenge you should invite upon yourself lightly.

I'm curious, why would you prime black and then wash black?

The number one reason to wash black is because unless you're using an airbrush, there will always be paint shadows that the primer didn't get to.

Number two reason could be that the primer isn't dark enough, so a black wash will evenly darken everything.

@OP: Obviously, feel free to pick any technique you want, we do them all. ZEALously, I might add.

I prime with a dark grey then apply a black wash. All colour requires more coats over flat black, with dark grey you get brighter colours, black layers very well over it. As black is going to cover most of the mini I like my colours to pop! Grey works better in getting that with out the three coats you need over black.

I have painted more than enough chaplains to know this.... Even if I'm a space smurf fanatic.

Honestly, if I had all the skills and patience and time and money, I'd be tempted to start afresh with a similar technique - dark greys and heavy washes - the style just really appeals to me. However, I am still happy with my approach of classic black with edge highlights in grey (codex/administratum/dawn/whatever it is these days). My painting is rough'n'ready and all about getting models onto the table - I love the modelling and gaming sides so much that painting is more like a necessary evil wedged in the middle!

Honestly, if I had all the skills and patience and time and money, I'd be tempted to start afresh with a similar technique - dark greys and heavy washes - the style just really appeals to me. However, I am still happy with my approach of classic black with edge highlights in grey (codex/administratum/dawn/whatever it is these days). My painting is rough'n'ready and all about getting models onto the table - I love the modelling and gaming sides so much that painting is more like a necessary evil wedged in the middle!

Lol! Know where you are coming from! Just started basing 60 ultra lads for big game this Friday... Ouch.

Well if you paint that shoulderpads the question is, what sort of white you want to have, warm or cold.

Cold white would be with black over grey to white.

Or you could go on a rather warm white starting with dark brown over something like bleached bone and ivory to white as a highlight.

But on the other side i do a different approach:

1. Prime black

2. do the white parts like shoulderpads with an airbrush.

3. mask the white parts with tape, liquid mask, etc.

4. do the armour with some highlights etc.

5. coat of satin varnish

6. wash with black oil color

7. remove mask

8. paint details

9. coat of matt varnish 

or if you dont want to work with oils go for some other way for black.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived