The Lion and the Wolf

Fezifresh

Brothers,

I need your knowledge and wisdom. I ran into a mean 2000pts SW army. The core consisted of Thunderwolf Cavalry with THSS and some crazy geared up WolfLords. Space Santa was there aswell.

I ran a combination of 1st and 2nd company and i got crushed.

I have some Greenwing, a lot of deathwing and a few ravenwing bikers available.

Has anyone experience with the wolfriders? What should i bring to make it a better fight next time?

For the Lion!

You can have two Deathwing Terminators with TH & SS for each Thunderwolf, but you can also tote some plasma cannons to hit multiple models and force multiple 3++ saves on them before they get to you.  You could also add in a Ravenwing Support Squadron made up of a Land Speeder Vengeance and three Ravenwing Land Speeders with typhoon launchers and multi-meltas, which can stay at range and force lots of 3++ saves.  You might also use a couple of Dark Talons and just drop D blasts on everythihng.  On a 2+, models which fail their saves suffer d3 wounds (likely killing those 2 wound Thunderwolf Cavalry outright), and if you roll a 6 then they get no sves of any kind at all, and will be killed outright because they take d6+ 6 wounds (Eternal Warrior is useless against this because it is multiple wounds and not Instant Death).  Seeing as the SW force is pretty much all close combat oriented, DA Librarians with Invisibility will be very useful.  Also, multiple Venerable Dreadnoughts with plasma cannons would be good, as they can hit mutlple models with their plasma blasts at range and in close combat they will usually hit on 3's, wound on 2's, are STR 10 and so will cause Instant Death to Thunderwolf Cavalry, and will strike at Initiative 4 (meaning before Initiative 1 SW thunderhammers), potentially killing threats before they can even attack.  Then there are the Vindicator's Str 10, AP 2 pie plates of DOOM to consider (but you will need to protect them from Assaults).  Some combination of the above ought to cause the SW force some grief.

Vindicators or other S10 shooting. Sure, they get their 3++, but each failed save is one dead model.

Grav cannons/guns are another option. ROF is high enough to get at least 1 wound in most cases. Bonus is that it concusses the model if it does not kill it.

Other than that, drown them in bolters. Keep a TH/SS or preferably Deathwing Knight squad as a counter assault. Try to screen them so he first has to charge a tac squad instead of them.

Yes, gun them down like the dogs they are. I hit them with Flamers and bolt pistols from an assault squad, them Hammer of Wrath and finally all the attacks from the charge before they could strike and didn't lose a model once against them. All that strength 4 is like having a mobile dakka banner from the last codex.

I say a Divination Libby joining a Devastator squad with Plasma Cannons would work wonders. And I very much agree with bringing the Venerable Dreadnought(s).

The DW Knights as counter-assault is a great idea. There is a formation where a LR joins a unit of 3 tanks. Put the Knights in the LR, and make the tanks Vindicators. See how your opponent likes that.

Archived