Space Marine Annihilation Sky Force

DA_WarM

I played against this formation this week.  I had a list built for maximum efficiency overwatch, including a support squadron and an attack squadron.

Do any of you have experience playing against that?  He charged on turn one and suppressed my whole overwatch with his devastators (4 combat squads)  His assault marines where able to charge unscatted.  He even charged a 4 las dev squad.  His 5 marines would have been dead with that overwatch. 

Any tips on facing that?  His shooting cause a morale test on 3D6 and if failed, you "Get to ground".  If passed, you still can't overwatch.  I haven't seen anything like that.  You have no advantage of passing that test.

I still managed to win 4-3 because it was a relic mission. 

the skyhammers biggest counter is to get interceptor and pluck the devestators from the sky as they come in. the deredeo dreadnaught can potentially achieve this in a single round of shooting with its autocannons basically made for crunching drop pods. accepting that his unit is going to enter CC is another way. this can then be resolved in one of two ways, you either dogile him on your turn with everyone in breathing range and then through sheer weight of attacks you crump his assault marines, or ou give them space and then pounce once hes slain his unit. the skyhammer is a great combat initiator but he cant use it again once hes resolved his first combat.

a final solution is to just plan for it and start taking more wholesome units. their just assault marines, a tactical marine sgt with power axe feasts on their sargeants tears and from there the biggest threat is the possible eviscerator chainsword which gets 1 attack and then hes spent, finally dreadnaught. im going to say this upfront here a ven dreadnaught who has retained his punching arm is enough of a threat to give pause to the skyhammer especially if hes close by. the eviscerator and any power fist sgt's hes taken are the only things tough enough to crack him in cc and if they are killed by his overwatch at bs2, or his shooting phase because hes a walker and gets to do stuff like that, or simply crumped by his powerfist that resolves at the same time as any of those two power weapons forces him to either be stubborn or follow OWAU (our weapons are useless) and run away. hecould shoot his devestators at it true, but their more likely to just drop the thing then weaken it for a cc phase, so shooting at him then denies him the ability to overwatch free charge at another target since he isnt awarded his no overwatch charge shooting bolt pistols from his assault marines.

so the skyhammer has all kinds of counters. when played right yeah it can do all kinds of damage, as a person who actually owns the formation in hardcopy these are the obvious counters that come to mind. a third would be to just ignore them and power through after basically getting the heck away from their point of impact. their rather limited in their capacity to do damage if everyone is 36+ inches away from them

I would recommend a Ravenwing support squadron.

Not only it has interceptor, so you can shoot at least one of his squad out of the sky before it makes damage, it can overwatch if you get charged. With 2 RWSS you can knock two squads out of the sky before they even blink.

Also you can try to castle up and put your more fragile units behind tougher units so he gets the charge but not the ideal charge.

There was a load of discussions going round when this first surfaced

The main problem with it is that to field it you need a copy of its rules, these are currently not available from GW & were issued as limited content which was quickly withdrawn. In the UK the local shop manager let's you play it IF you bought the box set and produce the hard copy.

The formation itself was lifted in part from planetstrike.

Basically it's up to the individual player as to whether there prepared to accept a dodgy 3Rd hand Internet jpeg as a legitimate rule

If you do decide to play against it there are a number of counters for a start put everything in transports, the devastators will shoot at a Rhino not men, if the Rhino is wrecked you don't have the overwatch suppression penalty.

If you want to pass leadership checks take a Conclave at 65 points + Zek you can make squads fearless, they cannot be pinned go to ground etc coupled with being in rhino's your squads aren't taking any checks

If Zek is around then you'll have +1 attack with the book

Take Coteaz put him with 2 Dev Grav in a Rhino

Support squad with interceptor (obvious really)

Now the argument phase if you take bikes. They can't go to ground if they have a fearless character on a bike do you even take the test? Or are you going to end up arguing over auto pass coz there fearless?

Another thing if you take an aegis you can buy tank traps which are impassible terrain for vehicles and will affect DS assault squads

I forgot Ezekiel's warlord trait gives fearless bubble as well

Courage of the 1st Legion

All units within 12" have fearless, its a pretty useful Warlord trait on its own and stops you having to take shaken or pinning tests when your Rhino is pummeled

The suggestion for a cheap conclave unit was to spread some power weapons back into the squads, I normally take librarians with an Axe for the +1 strength & ap2, there WS5 and have 2 close combat weapons for 3 attacks base. It also gives you some neat counters when your forced out of your Rhino's by the Dev's (I presume Grav Cannons) making stuff snap shoot, giving one of your squads rage for the counter charge.

So Lions Blade for full overwatch parked in Rhino's Zek + some boys to spread the fear and loathing & an interceptor squad, if you have to emergency disembark do so in a way that doesn't give them a 2nd shot at the unit

Archived