Betrayl at Calth minis, can they be used as Fallen? Or .....

HsojVvad

This is one of the things I don't know since I only know the current Space Marine armour. I don't know marks so what ever was used for the last 20 years. So now that we have the Betrayal at Calth box set coming out soon, would this be the armour that the Fallen use? I remember reading a few years ago the Fallen wouldn't be using the power armour that the Dark Angels use today, so not sure if that is true or not.

So basically what armour do the Fallen use? Not sure if I should try and get this box set or not since I have no interest in HH at all right now. But if I could use this for Dark Angels and or Fallen then I will strongly consider getting this if it's not sold out.

So what say you? :P

Over 10,000 yrs, the Fallen will use a hodge-podge of scavenged armour, but to specifically answer your question, yes it would be fine. Since all mk's II through VI are all "Heresy" suitable (even mkVIII was used on Terra), anything but mkVIII is suitable. Also, the Fallen on Caliban were a mix of both Calabanite and Terran Marines, it would still be appropriate to mix in robes and such.

Cheers,

Jono

I already plan that I will play Betrayal at Caliban. DA vs DA. All painted in black with small differences to separate traitors vs loyalists. I will then have a board game, a HH DA army and 40K Consecrators that I can use to bolster my own DA army. :D Win/win.

Gonna be broke myself, getting one to use as intended and one to use for the Luna wolves army that I've been planning for years and possibly a third for kittbashing amongst the various Maine army I'm working on. As for th op's question yes they could be used as fallen, but if I were doing fallen I'd use da robed bodies with arms, heads and bolsters from betrayal of Calth.

DA didn't used robes before the Fall of Caliban, just capes with hoods...

And about the upgrade torsos they are MK2 ones so they Will look bad pn different legs...

The only DA upgrade parts suitable with the MK4 from BaC are the shoulder pads and the helmets...

Straight out of Collected Visions, I present Chapter Master Astelan...

gallery_48988_6285_14816.jpg

The Order 's knightly members wore hooded robes, and the practice was carried over to the Legion.  Granted, the wearing of robes would most likely be reserved for use during the Legion's cermonies and meetings, not taken out to the battlefield where such clothing would be a hindrance.  Artwork isn't about realism though, but "the rule of cool". It is overly dramatic and romanticized by design.  Accordingly, one shouldn't interpret any artwork as being definitive of any sort of common practice (assuming a realistic vision of things that is).

An army of fallen in old Heresy MKs would be awesome. If your careful, you can keep the Chaosy bits to a minimum and you can have a Heresy Ist Legion, Fallen 40K and Unforgiven successor Chapter all rolled into one. Think of the value! :)

And about the upgrade torsos they are MK2 ones so they Will look bad pn different legs...

The only DA upgrade parts suitable with the MK4 from BaC are the shoulder pads and the helmets...

Straight out of Collected Visions, I present Chapter Master Astelan...

gallery_48988_6285_14816.jpg

and this is not a robe... the torso of the armour is free... He wears a cloack and has something like a loincloth on the legs... but this is not a robe...

That remains to be seen. They might just look awesome.

You cannot mix and match parts of different marks in 30k... the warks of armour were not compatible each other...

MK2 goes well only with mk3 parts that was its evolution while mark6 goes only with mark 7 that was its evolution...

in 40k the armours are hand crafted and modified by the techmarines so a piece of MK4 can be adapted to another mark of armour (this is why since 3rd edition the multiparts marine have a mix of parts from various marks) but in 30k the armpour were mass produced on the forgeworlds and any mark was a world on its own... the only few parts you could swap from a mark and another were the helmets (theorically MK2 and 3 had fixed helmets but i guess this was retconned) and shoulder pads...

Theorically there is a pattern of bolter for each armour too but it's obvious that during the HH marines used each weapon they had available so mixing the marks of weapons and marks of armours it's not a problem (but please don't use the newer marks of the plastic kits cause they are all post heresy)...

So with the MKIV in the BaC box i will be only using FW MK4 shoulder pads and FW DA heads to represent a pride of the legion force of veterans while my rank and files will be basically mk2 with 4/5 MK3 and 2/3 MK4 in each 20 man squad and the MK2 in these squads will use the DA torsos with some DA helmets here and there and sculpted shoulder pad for the sergeant only using DA etched brass for the basic marines (so the simple icon for the basic marines with the full icon for the veterans)...

Most of the new FW bundles are not correct cause they put upgrade sets designed for a certain mark of armour on MK4 armours from the BaC box set...

DA upgrades are designed for MK2 armpours and not for MK4...

Back in the Age of darkness the various marks of armours were built on an "industrial" basis and were not compatible with each other... So legs from MK2 cannot be put on MK4 torso...

Only parts that could be swapped from a Mark to another were helmets and shoulder pads... The only armours that could be made of parts of different marks were the Artificier armours of sergeants and officiers that were heavily modified by the techmarines...

It's in the 41st millennium that the Astartes armous are hand crafted by the techmarines and they adapt parts of several marks into a single armour to not waste precious components...

So about that bundle just the shoulder pads should be used and maybe some heads here and there...

Most of the new FW bundles are not correct cause they put upgrade sets designed for a certain mark of armour on MK4 armours from the BaC box set...

DA upgrades are designed for MK2 armpours and not for MK4...

Back in the Age of darkness the various marks of armours were built on an "industrial" basis and were not compatible with each other... So legs from MK2 cannot be put on MK4 torso...

Only parts that could be swapped from a Mark to another were helmets and shoulder pads... The only armours that could be made of parts of different marks were the Artificier armours of sergeants and officiers that were heavily modified by the techmarines...

It's in the 41st millennium that the Astartes armous are hand crafted by the techmarines and they adapt parts of several marks into a single armour to not waste precious components...

So about that bundle just the shoulder pads should be used and maybe some heads here and there...

Are the torsos really made for mk2, only? FW states that they are uniquely crafted.

I just bought some and they just look like any space marine torsos with some nice ornaments on the front.

I personally dislike the idea of Terran born Dark Angels rocking the robes, that has always felt like a post Lion discovery/Order getting merged in type of thing to me.

Robes, cloaks, tabards, horns on helmets, and other dangly what-nots are just too impractical over or on power armor to me when I think about them, which kills rule of cool for me.

That said...I could get behind some destiny hunter style cloaks.

I can't find an exact reference, but I'm pretty sure Two Heads Talking (the battle against a genestealer infestation where the deathwing first repainted their armour bone rather than black) took place post-heresy. If I remember correctly, it took place on a recruiting world from the Dark Angels, and before the Fall the legion recruited solely from Caliban (so it must have occurred after caliban's destruction).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

But at the end of the day, bone is so iconic and associated with deathwing, I think I will be trying to incorporate a fair bit of bone in the black colour scheme.

At the end of the day though, they're your models, and if you want to paint them bone, I say go for it. As jbaeza94 says, they do look great

Archived