Betrayl at Calth minis, can they be used as Fallen? Or .....

HsojVvad

if your playing 40k, definitely bone. i think they look so fricken sweet. i meanjust look at this! found this here on B&C

Great find, Brother! I have an itch to do something with Cataphractii Armour but I may end up going with Tataros Pattern TDA instead. These would be good for Death Guard, er, not-Clerics. Yes. They would not be good for my army because...switching subjects confused.gif!

As for the topic at hand, as has been discussed before (I think but I'm not sure), these guys would look amazing for a Fallen army and/or Dark Angels army. Look at that nice MkIV plate! I would paint them black and then decide before a game what to play: Loyalists that got trapped in the Warp and are a bit confused or filthy Heretics that got trapped in the Warp and are a bit confused. I don't really have a good story for why the Loyalists would still be in black but no matter.

The current Heretic range is lacking in my opinion. Does nearly every misled marine grow horns in the Warp or something? I wouldn't think so. You could even mix/match their armour because, eh, 10,000 years is a long time in the same underwear and even the Loyalists do it. We have Chapters that survive that way so what's stopping a Renegade or Heretical force from doing it? Just don't go past MkV or MkVI because that'd stretch the limits of "realism", in my opinion. Well, they could have gotten it from M40 Loyalists so never mind.

I'm not sure about this talk about not mixing the armour. They have backwards compatibility. If they didn't, there would be no use in reclaiming old pieces of armour and integrating it into a marine's current armour.

Anyway, have fun with it!

I can't find an exact reference, but I'm pretty sure Two Heads Talking (the battle against a genestealer infestation where the deathwing first repainted their armour bone rather than black) took place post-heresy. If I remember correctly, it took place on a recruiting world from the Dark Angels, and before the Fall the legion recruited solely from Caliban (so it must have occurred after caliban's destruction).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

But at the end of the day, bone is so iconic and associated with deathwing, I think I will be trying to incorporate a fair bit of bone in the black colour scheme.

At the end of the day though, they're your models, and if you want to paint them bone, I say go for it. As jbaeza94 says, they do look great

There is also this chunk of text from the current DA 'Dex:

Apocryphal Tales

Dark Angels originally wore black armor, but it was painted bone white in honor of a battle fought long ago. Legends state that a band of Deathwing returned to the recruiting world of their birth ... Genestealer invaders ...

Since that day, the Deathwing have kept their armor bone white, in rememberance of the sacrifice of their predecessors. The tale, known as the 'Battle of Two Heads Talking', ...

All such Dark Angels legends are told at specific points in a brother's progress through the Chapter's ranks. Some tell of heroes returned from war to find their brothers corrupted, others speak of self-sacrifice or the refusal to accept surrender. No few touch upon those seeking redemption from dishonorable deeds.

(All emphasis mine)

Apocryphal means:

(of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true

synonyms: fictitious, made-up, untrue, fabricated, false, spurious

Legend means:

a traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated

synonyms: myth, saga, epic, tale, story, folk tale, folk story, fairy tale, fable, mythos, folklore, lore, mythology, fantasy, oral history, folk tradition; urban myth

The wording about this story specifically tells us that it may not be true, and the purpose behind these tales seems much like tall tales or Aesop's fables for children, in that the moral or indication of proper action they impart is more important than the actual facts of the story. The last paragraph of that chunk is what indicates to us the true purpose of these tales, as the themes of the tales should sound very familiar.

Now, if you are painting for the Heresy itself, then they probably should be black. However, it is unknown exactly when after the Fall of Caliban the Deathwing armor color changed - it could have been almost immediately in the aftermath, or it could have been much time afterward. It could have been much later, as the time for Two-Heads Talking was much more recent (within the last couple of millennia), if you believe the actions in that story actually occurred.

Me personally, it think the Deathwing look fantastic in the bone, so I've always preferred some amount of bone on my figures, even if it isn't all of the armor (hence the color scheme of my Chapter).

if your playing 40k, definitely bone. i think they look so fricken sweet. i meanjust look at this! found this here on B&C

Aww shucks, you're too kind. wub.png I would like to post that image* in every thread that mentions cataphractii armour in the 41st millennium but I worry that would be too spammy. blush.png Anyone who wants to try something similar should check out my WIP pictures starting here.

I was already thinking of making two or three more knights to expand the unit. The Betrayal at Calth models are almost certainly going to be used for that purpose. My only concern is removing enough of the power fist without damaging the shoulders. Oh, but then I won't have a cataphractii forearm to hold the shield. furious.gif

*I don't know why the image isn't showing in the quote but Fallout 4 is calling so I'll leave it as it is.

A little off topic, but I'd use them as 40k alpha legion...since most of those stay(ed) in this galaxy, don't live in the warp, they should be relatively free of mutations and whatnot, and with their off-the-books industrial base that they built up before HH, they would probably still be building armor up to mark 6 (although their MKVI armor seems to be based on a stolen early prototype, not the final implementation)...nevertheless, MKIV armor without spikey bits, horns, etc, would be appropriate for alpha legion in the 41s millenium, IMHO

Archived