Melta bikes or grav bikes?

Steve86

Hello. So I'm building the tacticals for a lions blade and I'm just wondering if putting the grav gun on the bike squad would be better than on the tacticals?

The tacticals will be 5 man squads in razorbacks with twin-linked lascannons.

I have enough bikes for 2 6-man squads with attack bikes (melta) and land speeder typhoons.

Forgive me if this is already answered elsewhere. Thanks in advance

I (typically) will always go Grav. Salvo 3 & Relentless plus the added bonus of TL bolters if you're shooting at t-shirts.

I struggle to think of a better way to bring Grav in a DA force. Expect for maybe the grav/banner Command Squad in a pod but that's another topic.

Save the Melta for your attack bikes imo.

Who do you play against usually and what is your play style?

Those two questions will answer everything you want to know. Get some mates, proxy out the different options before you build the models, and see what you like best.

Who do you play against usually and what is your play style?

Those two questions will answer everything you want to know. Get some mates, proxy out the different options before you build the models, and see what you like best.

Well sir i havent even played yet outside of the dv solo missions :( but im trying to get it all finished up

Thanks for the help guys

Hopefully my earlier comment didn't come off as snarky and what-not. That was not my intent biggrin.png.

This is excellent that you've just begun happy.png! Learn from our mistakes, what works, what doesn't, and beat everyone in the name of the Primarch!

I would say do this to figure out your dilemma: take the Bike base that comes in the box. Grab yourself one friend (or two) and proxy that base until it is a burnt wreck. No, I joke. I don't know how much you know about the game so forgive me if I'm going over something you already know. I'd rather you have correct information than not. Alright, you have your base and your mate has his/hers. Your base will have a Grav-gun the first go and, using some other bases, then your Tactical Squad will get the Grav-gun. You see, working by proxy helps you decide what would work the best for you. It takes time but make it fun.

When I say make it fun, I mean to try different tactics, positioning, and cover as you decide if the Grav-gun or whatever other piece of gear would fit with you. Always find out what works for you because it may not be applicable to me, or Liam, or Todd, etc.

I hope that helps some. Remember: there are no stupid questions, but you can be incorrect laugh.png! Also, if you're painting yet, browse some articles to see if anyone has anything good to say that could help you out in that endeavour.

Cheers!

Hopefully my earlier comment didn't come off as snarky and what-not. That was not my intent biggrin.png.

This is excellent that you've just begun happy.png! Learn from our mistakes, what works, what doesn't, and beat everyone in the name of the Primarch!

I would say do this to figure out your dilemma: take the Bike base that comes in the box. Grab yourself one friend (or two) and proxy that base until it is a burnt wreck. No, I joke. I don't know how much you know about the game so forgive me if I'm going over something you already know. I'd rather you have correct information than not. Alright, you have your base and your mate has his/hers. Your base will have a Grav-gun the first go and, using some other bases, then your Tactical Squad will get the Grav-gun. You see, working by proxy helps you decide what would work the best for you. It takes time but make it fun.

When I say make it fun, I mean to try different tactics, positioning, and cover as you decide if the Grav-gun or whatever other piece of gear would fit with you. Always find out what works for you because it may not be applicable to me, or Liam, or Todd, etc.

I hope that helps some. Remember: there are no stupid questions, but you can be incorrect laugh.png! Also, if you're painting yet, browse some articles to see if anyone has anything good to say that could help you out in that endeavour.

Cheers!

Actually your comment was expected ive been reading anything here that looks helpful. I have been checking the forum regularly for any info.

Proxying is a good way to get a feel for the units and weapon choices. If you want to keep the options, magnetize the special weapons. Right now I agree grav bikes are better than meltagun bikes in pretty much every way, but who knows how that will be in the next edition.

You definitely won't regret putting grav on two of those bike squads. If it were me, I might hold off glueing the arms on 4 of the bikers who aren't given special weapons, just so that you can optionally make 4 x 3-man squads at a later date.

I have a load of bikers left over from earlier editions, and have to say that I am not sure I will regularly, or even ever, use any of the ones with non-grav special weapons, this edition. Maybe some meltas? Maybe some flamers if I really want to save points? Black Knights or Ravenwing Command Squad do plasma better than regular RW bikers ever will. I guess in a very RW-heavy game I could see myself having 2 squads with grav, 2 with melta, 1 with flamers. Maybe.

My favorite way to do it is put small magnets in the wrists of the bikers  and then in the special weapons, this lets me mix and match at will. Especially if I'm a little low on points and can't afford all the grav I want.

That being said, at 1850 points I usually run two multi melta attack bikes, one bike squad with two melta guns, and two bike squads with 2 grav guns each, this gives me a good amount of anti tank while still leaving me enough grav to kill something like a Riptide or wraithknight every turn

Grav guns for sure.  They aren't actually more effective against AV14 than melta has the potential to be, but they are almost as effective from much farther away.  On the other hand, they're FAR more effective against infantry with a 4+ save or better...also from farther away, not to mention that they're kryptonite against riptides, wraithknights, anything with high toughness and heavy armor.

Melta virtually guarantees a penetrating hit with 2+ on the damage table, but only at extremely close range.  Bikes don't have a problem getting that close, but there is a problem of the meltagun only having one shot, which misses 1/3 of the time, and can only kill one model even under the best circumstances.

Grav, on any given turn, has almost the same chance of whiffing as the meltagun.  It should average 4 hits, but those hits need sixes to do anything.  So grav isn't that much better than melta against vehicles, unless it's incredibly important to you that you immobilize the target (like in the case of a crusaderload of terminators) ASAP.  In that case, grav either at least immobilizes, or does nothing at all, while melta can function perfectly and still have a crew shaken or weapon destroyed result, neither of which prevents the target from moving.  On the other hand, against infantry with a 4+ or better save, grav kicks the crap out of melta, and against a 5+ save or worse, both grav and melta are going to resort to the backup twinlinked bolter, so the only scenario under which melta is better against a wounds-based model is ridiculously high toughness combined with basically no armor save...like...great unclean one?  Two meltaguns aren't really going to scare that guy anyway!

The actual effect of the weapons is comparable, they are both an anti armor weapon but I will fall on the side of Salvo 3 over Assault 1.  There isnt anything like getting your hopes up that the squad will accomplish something then rolling ones to hit...  More dice to roll = greater chances to do something..  Also greater shame to roll 3 ones....

Thanks for all the advice and detailed breakdown of it all. Ill have to get some alternative grav guns. GWs are alittle pricey for just one. I have generic marine bikers that have both hands on the handle bars so alittle conversion work will be required. Most likely gonna use Forgeworld graviton guns

Archived