Greenwing, transports and combat squads.

eurieus

Hello brothers ! 

After a few games with my very successful Ravenwing, i'm seriously looking into greenwing and, of course, the Lion's Blade formation. 

I have almost never fielded greenwing except when i got back into the hobby after buying the DV starter set, so i have little to no experience with tactical marines. 

I own enough models to field a demi company, and recently converted Ass-canons turrets for two of my rhinos. I'm planning on buying a drop pod for some grav devastator/ SS company master action as well. 

What i'm unsure about is how to field them, 10 man in rhinos ? or combat squaded ? I was thinking on giving them lascanon/meltagun combos, leave the lascanon in the backfield and put the rest in Razorbacks. Loadout for the RB is not set in stone, i can proxy until i get new turrets. 

Should i get another rhino for my grav devs or is the drop pod strategy a effective one ? 

Brother Eurieus

Hello brothers !

After a few games with my very successful Ravenwing, i'm seriously looking into greenwing and, of course, the Lion's Blade formation.

I have almost never fielded greenwing except when i got back into the hobby after buying the DV starter set, so i have little to no experience with tactical marines.

I own enough models to field a demi company, and recently converted Ass-canons turrets for two of my rhinos. I'm planning on buying a drop pod for some grav devastator/ SS company master action as well.

What i'm unsure about is how to field them, 10 man in rhinos ? or combat squaded ? I was thinking on giving them lascanon/meltagun combos, leave the lascanon in the backfield and put the rest in Razorbacks. Loadout for the RB is not set in stone, i can proxy until i get new turrets.

Should i get another rhino for my grav devs or is the drop pod strategy a effective one ?

Brother Eurieus

I don't think that the grav cannon is really the weapon for devestators, it's range is limited and the grav cannons are expensive, codex marines can escape with using them because skyhammer rules makes them essentially relentless. So there's this squad of devestators in your army with an amazing gun that can't shoot them the turn they arrive, that might not even arrive turn 1 that costs as much as a fully kitted up lascannon predator, and that's before their dedicated transport. And they need to get to 24" to even fire the confounded gun.

To me he choice is clear when picking the heavy weapons on devestators, lascannon for tanks, missles if you want an all rounded pick, heavy bolters for infantry, and plasma cannons for heavy infantry. The grav cannon is more suited for tactical marines, it might not be as easy to bring in bulk but they might actually get to 24" in fact they probably will because that's where they are the most effective. It's sort of the same problem multi meltas have, a devestator is just an impractical platform for a weapon that shoots as far as a bolt pistol.

The Razorbacks load outs are fine I actually really like assault cannon Razorbacks, lasbacks can be fun in small games too. Though often you will find that a heavy bolter is "good enough" if your not fighting lots of other marines.

I think that the lions blade isn't all it's cracked up to be, I feel that while the full bs over watch is interesting in concept, it's price is too high logistically, the lions blade is very much a colour by numbers army devoid of real character or army design. A CAD however, offers much more flexible army building decisions. And now your not tied down by the god awful standard dreadnaught, and the lack of nice things like interrogator chaplains, named characters, and vindicators.

A_E raises valid points, the single Lion's Blade is average, CL's link to a Double Demi thread is where the real power starts for the greenwing DA. It obviously uses a tonne of points and except in much larger games uses your whole army so very limited space for DW and RW units, but it is a real powerhouse.

Hi so cards on the table; I love the Lions blade its fluffy as all hell the full B.S. overwatch is surprisingly powerful, and sort your list right and you get free tanks! I can see aura enchanted's point about the flexibility a CAD offers but I'm still on team Lion's blade. A/C Razor backs (sorry I nearly spat tea every where when I read Ass Cannons, guess I'm just a 10year old at heartmsn-wink.gif )are amazing against most foes they can do everything reasonably well, as you are thinking of combat squading your TACs any hoo why not take them as 5 man squads? gets you a bit closer to that magic doulble demi blade and the free rhinos. If you then field a 5 man foot slogger assault squad with double flamers you can bezz around drive by toasting things from your free rhino. Give your Chaplin a jump pack and have him rolling with a jump assault squad and thats nice too. as to your Dev's you could have them tooling around in their free rhino but its only worth while if you have 2 Grav cannons any more and they dont get the value from the mobile pill box. Over all I favor all Missiles or all las cannons for Devs 4 lascannons is enough to make any tank/walker need to change its underwear and all missiles can tear huge holes in skitarii, Eldar Imp guard (or Astra Millitarum if you prefer) with frag and Crack can reliably squish Marines and most armored units.

My Greenwing List

Demi-Co 997/1000pts-normal BS during overwatch!

HQ

Co-Commander-Relic Blade, Melta Bomb, Storm Bolter. 125pts

Troops

3x Tac Squads (5 models each)-no upgrades/no heavy weapons. Their job is rapid fire and get objectives (moving all the time). 210pts

1x Scout (5 mods)-4 snipers and 1 heavy bolter. Hopefully they take a good position at beginning of game. Snipers can pick off heroes. 67pts

Fast

1x Assault- jump packs (just plain fun) SGT has power fist. Need another character killer or tank buster. 110pts.

Elite

1x HQ squad (5 mods)- apothecary, standard (sacred standard) 4xplasma guns, 1 plasma cannon, Rhino as dedicated trans. 260pts

Abilities: Counter attack, relentless, 12" units reroll tests. The secret here is rhino has 2 hatches so your heavy plasma and an extra plasma gun can shoot even if tank moves as they are relentless! Kind of a loophole. If tank is destroyed, you can have a chance at moving hq into cover. Also, if they are charged they have attack as well, plus overwatch at normal BS. Plasma guns are rapid fire! This unit is the gravy of the army.

Heavy

1x Dev Squad (10 mods as meat shields)-4x las cannons, signum, cherub. 225pts. The other gravy unit.

Your aim with double Demi is not to shoot but instead to hold objectives. That is how you win.

Ironically, the very elite of humanity wins through horde tactics...

this would be because most people play maelstrom, in purge the alien nobody can win with a double lions blade, your going to get krumped by armies with some kind of focus and not just points of free stuff.

Your aim with double Demi is not to shoot but instead to hold objectives. That is how you win.

Ironically, the very elite of humanity wins through horde tactics...

this would be because most people play maelstrom, in purge the alien nobody can win with a double lions blade, your going to get krumped by armies with some kind of focus and not just points of free stuff.

I agree. But what would Greenwing look when optimized for EW missions?

I disagree. The amount of mass bolterfire on the board can kil 80% of anything. Dev squads, dreads, and some heroes can take the rest. In my experience! I'd rather roll 30 dice looking for 6's than roll 5 dice looking for 2+.

Archived