Dosjetka's one-off Imperial Fist

Dosjetka

I've had a bit of painting time these past few days, so what better to do than try painting yellow again? To make things even more fun, I thought I'd try painting it over a black undercoat and try my hand at "sponge weathering" technique. The results are surprisingly decent, though there are things I'll need to improve on, such as the freehand (that fist... ugh) and the weathering. But all in all, I'm happy smile.png

gallery_45765_7614_885936.png

And some shots from other angles:

med_gallery_45765_7614_338314.pngmed_gallery_45765_7614_493270.png

med_gallery_45765_7614_745405.pngmed_gallery_45765_7614_314213.png

Thoughts and criticism welcome!

Lunar Centurion: Thank you. Though we'll have to agree to disagree ;)

kizz: Dude, I know you're a nice guy and everything, but you can't expect me to take such praise seriously after you've posted the brutally beaten-up World Eater and Iron Warrior from a couple of months back! Thanks anyway :P

Olis: Thank you! If you need any tips, ask away!

This is exactly how I ant my fists to look! Could I trouble you for a yellow recipe, and ask how you achieved that awesome weathering?

I'm interested in giving this a go myself, what method and colours did you use?

If you can wait a week or two, I can do a full tutorial on how I painted him (with pictures and perhaps even some .gif's!). If not, I can just give a written recipe and let you try and figure it out ;)

Wow, really nice job dude. I hope to see a log at some point smile.png

Thanks! I have some ideas in mind, but there's a good chance that there'll be no proper project log before the new year.

Good stuff man. I admire your willingness to try this battle damage technique. Now, I wonder, could he paint a whole squad like this?

Keep 'em coming lad!

BSS

Them be fighting words! Arr! :pirate:

Thank you, Steine. And the end goal is a bit more than just a mere squad ;)

Straight out of the Siege of Terra. Bravo.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but you're not far off ;)

I can wait, especially for something as fancy as gifs smile.png

I can't guarantee that there will be any, but it's something I'd like to do and think would help better explain certain techniques/stages.

Nice work! Impressed by your lovely freehand -- I know how challenging it is to paint a good fist!

I would suggest a few minor tweaks to your technique to mess around with if you care to. First, focus the sponging on the corners of the armor. Second, go back and cover up some of the excessive sponge markings, particularly those towards the center of the panel for more of an uneven appearance that's more controlled. Third, consider spending some more time with your highlights -- both with your highlights of armor edges, and with highlighting the sponge effects to add depth, which is really the secret to good chipping, I think.

But don't take any of that feedback the wrong way, this astarte is lovely indeed cool.png

A full tutorial sounds great either way thumbsup.gif

Really excited for the tutorial

No pressure then :P

Having spent around 18 hours during the last two days playing Fallout 4, I haven't gotten anything done. Thankfully, I had already told you it might be a week or two before you see anything :D

Nice work! Impressed by your lovely freehand -- I know how challenging it is to paint a good fist!

I would suggest a few minor tweaks to your technique to mess around with if you care to. First, focus the sponging on the corners of the armor. Second, go back and cover up some of the excessive sponge markings, particularly those towards the center of the panel for more of an uneven appearance that's more controlled. Third, consider spending some more time with your highlights -- both with your highlights of armor edges, and with highlighting the sponge effects to add depth, which is really the secret to good chipping, I think.

But don't take any of that feedback the wrong way, this astarte is lovely indeed cool.png

Thank you, mate!

There are definitely areas in which I need to improve, and you've pointed out most, if not all of them. Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind for the next models :tu:

This is a great looking mini, I like the way the weathering turned out. I'll keep an eye out for your tutorial!

Not bad at all. You already noted the freehand issue in the OP, and that's really all that popped out at me. That, and the lack of basing. Even as a one off, he deserves some earth to claim in the name of Holy Terra msn-wink.gif

Pretty sure what he need is some ship's decking ;)

Archived