Potatoes Eaters of Minor Stellar Features - Back to sanity!

God-Potato of Mankind

Hi gang,

As I near acquisition of my two box sets, I started upon a new Legion. What I fancied was a Legion rarely seen and a Legion as opposite to my Salamanders as possible.

Voila, Angron's Eaters of World's!

So I have come up with a 'minimal' box list. I have all the non box units unpainted or unassembled.

I also have:
Spartan
Deredeo
Vorax

List 1: All rounder

+++ World Eaters (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (160pts) +

Legion Praetor (160pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Paragon Blade, Power Fist]
····Master of the Legion [beserker Assault]

+ Troops (845pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (340pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist]

Legion Tactical Squad (325pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (180pts) [4x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns]
····Legion Sergeant [Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (650pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (110pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour]

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (270pts)
····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

+ Fast Attack (220pts) +

Xiphon Interceptor (220pts) [Chaff Launcher, Ground-tracking Auguries]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XII: World Eaters]

+ Lord of War (625pts) +

Legion Glaive Special Weapons Tank

List 2: All the Drop Pods

+++ Drop Assault (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (290pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

Khârn the Bloody (190pts) [Legacy of Blood]

+ Troops (535pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (175pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Squad (175pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (810pts) +

+ Fast Attack (300pts) +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (100pts)

+ Heavy Support (115pts) +

Deathstorm Drop Pod (115pts) [Drop Pod Assault special rule]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (450pts) +

Sub-orbital Strike Wing (450pts)
····Xiphon Interceptor [Armoured Cockpit, Chaff Launcher, Ground-tracking Auguries]
····Xiphon Interceptor [Armoured Cockpit, Chaff Launcher, Ground-tracking Auguries]

List 3 : All Glory to our Vorax Overlords

+++ World Eaters  (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (595pts) +

Legion Centurion (410pts) [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Power Fist]
····Consul [Praevian]
····Vorax Class Battle-automata Maniple [Enhanced Targeting Array, Frag Grenades, Vorax, Vorax, Vorax]

Legion Praetor (185pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Power Fist]

+ Troops (770pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (310pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour]

Legion Tactical Squad (310pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

Legion Tactical Squad (150pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

+ Elites (510pts) +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (200pts)
····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon]

····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (625pts) +

Glaive

Mechanised Assault

HQ

Champion - PFist, Thammer, Artificer, MBombs

Troops

2x 20 Despoilers, Sarges with AA, Pfist and MBombs

Elites

2x Apocs with AA, AugScans

Fast Attack

3 Attack Bikes - 3x Multi-meltas, melta bombs

Xiphon - Cockpit, Ground Auguries

Heavy Support

2 Spartans - Flare shield & AC

LoW

Motherflippin' Angron awww yeah

Thoughts welcome. I'm happy to radically change things if needed.

^as above. What about dropping the plasma support for a tac squad, then running all the tacs as despoilers in rhinos? Or two squads in rhinos, one large blob in Spartan. I'm not doing math right now, just tossing out thoughts.

Otherwise, looks fun! Glaives are awesome, Deredeos are awesome, Vorax are awesome. You'll be fine.

Should be a pretty simple task swapping the plasma Support Squad for another Tactical Squad. You could also do with an iron halo on that Praetor.

You have an even number of Drop Pods, which hurts the alpha strike potential. I can't see an easy way to squeeze in a 3rd Drop Pod, so you might want to reconsider that tactic. Maybe a pair of all-purpose Contemptors, with Kheres and chainfists, running up the board with the Tacticals?

Glaive will obviously be a primary target, but as it's the only tank, just note that it will get an absurd amount of attention. And I'd take the Deredeo over the Xiphon.

Are you wanting to use most of the models from BaC? You could try and work the Cataphractii and a Spartan into the list, giving you more armour saturation...

So swappeth, are the Tacticools. 

Thanks for the tac support awareness, Battlescribe doesn't specify :( 

I'm umming and arring over the Deredeo, I feel it fits my Salamanders better. I felt a Xiphon fits Werrrrrld Eahtahs suits them better. 

Same with the Spartan. 

I am however keen to use the Vorax, as I want to use Castelax for my Sallies. Vorax seem more World Eater-y. 

Ok here's list attempt #2 - All glory to the Vorax!

+++ World Eaters  (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (595pts) +

Legion Centurion (410pts) [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Power Fist]
····Consul [Praevian]
····Vorax Class Battle-automata Maniple [Enhanced Targeting Array, Frag Grenades, Vorax, Vorax, Vorax]

Legion Praetor (185pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Power Fist]

+ Troops (770pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (150pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

+ Elites (510pts) +

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (625pts) +

Any thoughts welcome! 

Your points cost for Vorax is off from the update to them in the Taghmata book. They should run 255, not 285, although for the difference you can now purchase Poison rounds and bring them to 285 anyway. It halves their rotor cannon range but all the S3 shots become Poisoned (4+). You should do this.

• 4 weeks later...

G'day folks. 

I have been crazy wishlisting again, and have come up with this probably absurd drop assault list. 

My intention? Drop all the pods! Punch them in the faces, explode anything that survives being punched with Xiphons. 

I'm not 100% on how the drop assault rules work, does it apply to all the pods in the list? I brought a Damocles so I could ensure the second wave hits asap to punch more things more quickly. 

Critiques welcome, I know it's an eggs in one basket list, but it seems fun. That said, it does require me to buy an extra Xiphon and 3 dreadclaws. 

+++ Drop Assault (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (290pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

Khârn the Bloody (190pts) [Legacy of Blood]

+ Troops (535pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (175pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Squad (175pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (810pts) +

+ Fast Attack (300pts) +

+ Heavy Support (115pts) +

Deathstorm Drop Pod (115pts) [Drop Pod Assault special rule]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (450pts) +

Sub-orbital Strike Wing (450pts)

First, on drop pods: Drop pod assault works by having half the units with the DPA rule rounded up arrive first turn, the rest in reserve as normal. 

Well, the bad news is Khârn doesn't actually fit in any of the pods. So if you're going second you have him and the Damocles hiding for their lives for one round. You could maybe pay up for a Kharybdis Claw and have Khârn arrive with a big 19-man mob of Despoilers? 

How attached to the Xiphons are you? They're pretty expensive air-to-air (interceptors! wow surprise), so if you want air-to-ground support there are significantly better options. Maybe a Lightning and a Xiphon as a compromise?

Ahhh balls. Good point.

I thought xiphons would be better? Once the Lightning has fired it's penetrators it's relegated to a single AC.

Xiphon get 2x TL Lascannon and a 2 shot S8 AP2 missile with an extra D3 on penetration roll.

Plus they get ground tracking Auguries too.

I'm gonna play with an orbital assault RoW to fit in a kharybdis. It seems I lose out on hatred in exchange for cheaper, regular pods.

Ahhh balls. Good point.

I thought xiphons would be better? Once the Lightning has fired it's penetrators it's relegated to a single AC.

Xiphon get 2x TL Lascannon and a 2 shot S8 AP2 missile with an extra D3 on penetration roll.

Plus they get ground tracking Auguries too.

I'm gonna play with an orbital assault RoW to fit in a kharybdis. It seems I lose out on hatred in exchange for cheaper, regular pods.

A couple things.. One, if you have the air superiority and the Lightning isn't under much threat, and you don't have one huge target that needs to die now (a Spartan or some kind of Super-Heavy), you don't have to fire all the Krakens at once. If you DO have a super-heavy, well, you can nuke it. Xiphons will probably not do that. Also as Slips pointed out, it's a TLLC after the Krakens are gone so at least an accurate S9 shot.

Lightnings can also get ground tracking auguries.

And finally, you've misread what the Xiphon Rotary Missile does. It doesn't get +D3 armor pen, it gets D3 rolls on the vehicle damage table and picks the highest. So you have to pen first. I think you can see why I tend to relegate it to strictly intercepting; it's perfect for one-shotting low-AV flyers but can struggle with being reliable vs AV13/14 ground targets.

^^which you definatley, definatley do.....

*edit: and just to add my thoughts on the list building. I fear at 2500 large tac squads in the open will get deleted easily (I dunno what your gaming group is like but we have plenty of thud guns, scorpius and typhon) so just be weary of that.

Drop pods work very well for world eaters but it's a very hard r.o.w to pull off. What me and a buddy did when we played doubles was he took a drop list and I ran my 2 x Spartan, 1 x l raider list and it worked very nicely. Having drop pods in your enemy's deployment distracting while the big trucks smash in is awesome and fun. This can easily be replicated with having 3 podding units (so they round up) and the rest of the army driving/walking up.

As for the Lightning, it's a beast and 1 would be plenty at 2500. Especially over 2 xiphon

I'm sort of on the fence with drop pods now, but thank you for the feedback guys.

A 2k Orbital Assault list just seems anemic in terms of presence and ability.

Just how useful is a Kharibdis? I feel it's a bit silly to run a 2k droplist, even 2.5k seems a bit meh. I can get another dread to ensure Khârn & friends with 2 dreads arrive. Then it's down to reserves to get the Lightning and maybe another dread or similar on. Then that's it. All cards down.

Yet I can do this at 2.5k, mechanised. It seems...to have more 'presence' and is all there to use turn 1.

HQ

Champion - PFist, Thammer, Artificer, MBombs

Troops

2x 20 Despoilers, Sarges with AA, Pfist and MBombs

Elites

2x Apocs with AA, AugScans

Fast Attack

Xiphon - Cockpit, Ground Auguries

Heavy Support

2 Spartans - Flare shield & AC

LoW

Motherflippin' Angron awww yeah

So that's TWO doomcoconuts laden with despoilers, one backed up by Angron and one by Fistyhammer Champion for WS7 duels. Surrounding by roving multi-meltas. Eventually a Xiphon will arrive to derp any Storm Eagles/other planes.

I feel it's more flexible. Anti-infantry power with supported despoilers, AV with mobile melta-masters and AA with an interceptor. Angron's like a cherry on the cake almost.

Thoughts?

Why not take a Forge Lord instead of a Champion? Will still be WS6 in a Challenge, but will have a 4++, an extra S8 AP2 attack and ALL THE RADIATION! :)

Also, save 5 points and take a barb-hook lash instead of a power fist. :)

The Forge Lord seems like a solid option certainly, but lacks WS7 in challenges. I'm not sure just how worthwhile that WS7 will be though, as the Forge Lord seems to posses greater overall flexibility.

Champion gets WS6, to WS7 in challenges. That said, if Angron is there he is challenging all the baddies I might not even need him, while the FL gets that extra servo-attack PLUS rad grenades and invuln, along with free artificer. He seems more...flexible. The Champion was purely to challenge, Thunderhammer to smash and Pfist to finish.

As they're similar cost-wise, I think I will model and playtest both :) See which one I prefer!

I'd go Chaplin over champion. Both squads are fearless and at least one had hatred. Hatred is so good for our legion, and makes a huge difference.

Not a fan of the xiphon In this list still. It's anti-flyer, however the quad lascanons on the Spartans are just as good at that role

The Xiphon is my capitulation to anti-air capability. Quad lascannons would be useful against air? They don't get skyfire or anything like that.

Not sure on hatred though, one squad will have fearless from Angron and a Chaplain would give one squad Zealot? I've not used any of these consuls before. I'm not using Beserker Assault though, so defo no hatred.

I thought 20 tacs with an Angron or Consul would be killy enough without needing further buffing, so decided the consul was for beatsticking other units.

Zealot is hatred and fearless. Angron with one blob, Chaplin with the other.

You won't find many flyers in 30k and so taking something dedicated to take them on is a waste in my opinion. The lascanons do the job just fine. Think you have 8 twin linked lascanon shots fishing for a 6 or 2, then a 3 to pen on that. Trust me, for what you face it will be enough. Plus you have to rely on reserve rolls, and if they have a flyer, that it comes on before yours as the xiphon is weak. If thier flyer does come on before yours, it's already done its job unleashing it's kraken pens etc...

If you really are worried, take a deredeo instead as it's more survivable, guaranteed to be there and can be used against light/med vehicles with its sunder rules. But you do however have to give it skyfire and intercept at the start of your movement phase and not move it. You do have 48" ranch and 45 degree fire arc though so not as bad as a contemptor.

H'ok. H'ok I will use my unpainted Deredeo for this list.

So as above but swap:

Champ to Chaplain - Refractor, AA, Thunderous Hammertime & Barbed Hook Lash

Xiphon to Deredeo - AC & Aiololololololos

I think that should be a solid and painful list to fight. WE attack bikes with melta-spam should be good. They've not got much to charge initially, just focus fire on the Spartans. They'd need a lot of firepower to take out 2 I think, lots of delicious stationary firepower begging to be raided by attack bikes.

Archived