DA Librarius Conclave Tactics

Frater Cornelius

So, let's talk heresy magic. The Librarius Conclave. Usually I would say that the SM version is superior due to being able to cast on a 2+ and having access to Tigurius. However, I have never seen a Conclave do all that well. Why? Because you put a lot of points into it while not affecting the enemy in enough ways to stop his from acting. Sure, you can throw in a few speed-bumps by making a unit invisible, but that is about it.

Why would the DA one do any better? Well, they have access to a Discipline that is capable of literally making units useless, effectively taking them out of the equation for a turn or two, allow you to even the playing field. In an army that is all about making the life of the opponent miserable (null-deployment, re-roll jink, dark shroud, interceptor, improved overwatch, a.s.o.), this could potentially be game making.

However, how do you deliver them? I was thinking a Command Squad with 4 Specials, 1 Apothecary carrying Zeke and two ML2 Librarians. Transport would usually be a Pod or a Raider if I was feeling fancy. Zeke rolls on Interromancy to get 3, 6, 2 and 1. The first Librarian will probably also roll on that table. If I got all I need, I will roll on Divination on the last one. If not, then full on Interromancy.

The unit basically lands and can disable two unit right of the bat and probably annihilating a third one with its shooting. You could shut down an invisible super death star by casting Mind Wipe on it and throwing pretty much all your dice at it. You can stop a Wraithknight or Imperial Knight bothering you for a turn or two until you kill it.

However, do you think it is a good idea to stick all three dudes into one unit? If you combine the psychic powers and all the shooting DA can muster, you can keep them safe by crippling the enemy fairly well. However, if one decent unit managed to retaliate, you potentially lose quite a few points on top of your psychic dominance.

Anyway, let me know what you think of this setup and how you would play the Conclave ;)

I'm working on a list that will use them differently

The basic army is a double Lion with free transports, the hero's are split into different squads making everyone fearless and are upgraded with melta bombs and a mix of power weapons. Points wise I can get it working at 1850.

If 1 librarian is killed it's still working and it's focus is Interomancy

The Librarians are level 1 and rather than bump them up I'd just take another it's designed to slow down and hurt what it can't kill, if you get enough power dice you don't have to join all 3 or 4 together and can fire off 2 mind worms for example, multiple speed bumps that will be awesome at progressive objective grabbing.

It doesn't stop you joining them all up if you want

I've been running the Conclave with two Demi-Companies for awhile now.  All of my free transports are Razorbacks so I don't have the room to putt all of them into one squad.  Ezekiel has been riding with the 4 grav, apothecary command squad and the other two have been riding with tactical squads with meltaguns.  

Very often early turns start running like a shell game where one librarian will pop out of the razorback on his own and join a nearby devastator squad and use some Divination on them.  The next turn the librarian hops back into the razorback, the line moves another 6" up the board and another librarian pops out to do some spell slinging.  

I've found it to be very powerful against most armies and even holds it's own in the psychic phase with Grey Knights and enemy Conclaves.

do you need to buy something in order to have the right to play the Conclave formation or it's just ok?

in tournaments you would need to buy the formation from the black library website, it costs 3 bucks though so its super cheap to get anyway so its not like a huge deal. while your there we have the relentless hunters formation but its garbage so i wouldnt buy it. its so bad that we dont even talk about it but you asked about the conclave and using it so i thought id mention it this one time

I don't think the Unrelenting Hunt is that bad. It's actually a nice combination of solid units. The thing is that it doesn't really "give" you much outside of a relentless tactical squad (which is pretty solid, mind you). Also, it is questionable whether or not it is still legal since it is a formation that includes another formation (Ravenwing Attack Squadron).

With regards to the conclave, I have had a difficult time figuring out how to include mine in my typical lists. It works best with a CAD or Lion's Blade, obviously, since you easily have places for both Zeke and any terminator or bike librarians. However, in a Lion's Blade, I find it hard to fit even a min sized conclave in most points values.

I don't think the Unrelenting Hunt is that bad. It's actually a nice combination of solid units. The thing is that it doesn't really "give" you much outside of a relentless tactical squad (which is pretty solid, mind you). Also, it is questionable whether or not it is still legal since it is a formation that includes another formation (Ravenwing Attack Squadron).

With regards to the conclave, I have had a difficult time figuring out how to include mine in my typical lists. It works best with a CAD or Lion's Blade, obviously, since you easily have places for both Zeke and any terminator or bike librarians. However, in a Lion's Blade, I find it hard to fit even a min sized conclave in most points values.

I got it in by ditching anything fancy so no command squads no dreards, you can get Just Zek in the LB and I'd say he's a good buy the Fearless 12" Warlord trait is very useful if your in Free transports

No Pinning or Leadership checks when they blow up or take hull points on the Rhino's and Razors a 6" Bubble for +1 Attack if combined with full BS overwatch will chip away at any enemy that tries to assault you, he's no slouch in combat either at I5 WS5 3 attacks base + Bolt Pistol for +1 and depending on how you read the book rule its +1 for that too

I have problems with making Ezekiel the warlord seeing as he has no reliable invulnerable save.

Good point but when I've used Greenwing the opposition are normally more worried about the Grav than they are at facing down the Warlord and you've a pile of MSU to plow through with Double LB.

Also every Tac Squad comes with a Sgt and if you end up in combat with a dedicated combat squad your in trouble anyways, even then I've had him hold his own for a couple of turns. He comes in the same boat as Azreal he's there to buff units has decent combat stats but your not wanting to use him as such.

For a range of all round abilities he's my number one go 2 in a CAD with Tactical squads present since 7th hit the decks, 3 power dice normally +1 to Deny decent combat + buffs and in the double LB scenario the Chaplain is the one going out Clubbing along with the Captain

do you need to buy something in order to have the right to play the Conclave formation or it's just ok?

in tournaments you would need to buy the formation from the black library website, it costs 3 bucks though so its super cheap to get anyway so its not like a huge deal. while your there we have the relentless hunters formation but its garbage so i wouldnt buy it. its so bad that we dont even talk about it but you asked about the conclave and using it so i thought id mention it this one time

It's not terrible if you know you're facing CSM, but I wouldn't take it as an all-comers list.

Archived