Blood Angels Terminator force

lockmaster

So, I have been out of the hobby for about 5 years, last game I played was 4th ed. but have started painting up some bits and bobs and also got a space hulk box on the way because I love the look of terminators. So I am wanting to make a terminator heavy army. Here is current list (1500 points)

HQ- librarian in terminator armour, executioners hood, ML2, Storm Bolter, auspex

130pts

Elites

Terminator Squad x10

1 assault cannon

1 cyclone missile launcher

1 sergeant . with normal power weapon

1 chain fist

450point

Terminator squad x 5

1x heavy flames

1x chain fist

Sergeant with power weapon

215 points

Terminator Assult squad x8

1x Sergeant with thunder hammer &ss

5x th&ss

2x lightening claws

Troops:

scout squad x5

Camo cloaks and sniper rifles

Teleport homer

80pts

Scout squad x5

5x bolters

Teleport homer

65pts

Tactical squad x5

Plasma cannon

85 points

Fast attack

Bike squad x4

Biker vet Sergeant combi melta

2x melta guns

124 points

Plan would be to foot slog the regular termites, infiltrate the scouts and get the Assult terminators to drop in to support their position. The bikes are for anti tank support. I have all the terminators so I want that core to stay the same, but the rest of the list is open to tweaking, what do people think?

Check out the Archangels detachment in the Shield of Baal Exterminatus campaign book.

It's an army of terminators, Sternguard, vanguard and furioso dreadnoughts :) with bonuses to reserve rolls and such!

Would be right what you are looking for.

Sorry, posted accidentally before I had a chance to upload properly! Have looked at the archangels but the only thing that was slightly annoying was that you couldn't take scouts and I quite like the idea of infiltrating scouts.. That being said, with archangels, how would you change this list given you couldn't take the scouts bikes or troops? What would you advise spending the extra points on?

If you plan on deepstriking all those termies, then you only have 15 models on board T1 and will likely lose the game there and then through wipeout. 

I'd go:

Combined Arms detachment

Librarian, lvl2 divination, veritas vitae, rolling twice on the strategic warlord trait. Prescience the shooty term squad, hope for the infiltrate one.

Corbulo

10 terms, 2 cyclone/assault cannons (pick two of the same weapon)

5 terms, TH/SS, fast attack drop pod

5 Terms, TH/SS, fast attack drop pod

Fragioso, heavy flamer, drop pod

5 scouts, cloaks, snipers

10 scouts, cloaks, powerfist, combi grav, bp and ccw.

10 termies with corbulo and the librarian move upfield shooting, corbulo hopefully keeps the squad ticking.

the option for 10  THSS termies in your opponent's DZ turn one will cause them problems, so much that they will overlook the scouts, which can eat other non dedicated combat units.

Thanks Xeneth, that is a nice list :-). Do u think I would be able to deal with anti tank well enough? Also, would u give the 10 man scout squad bolters, cc weapons or sniper rifles?

Only other option I have looked at is the archangels list again. By loosing the scouts, tac squad and bikes I could get 2 stern guard squads, 1 with 2x lascannons and 1 with 2x plasma cannons. That way I only scatter d6 and re-roll reserves, but as you say though, would only have 25 on table to start with.. Which do you think is the better list?

Also just to check Xenith, with that list, isn't this 4 elite slots used up? Or else is it possible to take 10 Assult termies and combat squad them prior to going into drop pods?

The Baal Strike Force (alternative to CAD in the BA dex) allows an extra elite slot, and grants an extra inititive on the charge!

As previously mentioned if you want the scouts etc., you could take the Archangels and ally in scouts and bikes etc. with another detachment.

Allying in other detachments is new since fourth, so just checking you know about this rule?

Also just to check Xenith, with that list, isn't this 4 elite slots used up? Or else is it possible to take 10 Assult termies and combat squad them prior to going into drop pods?

The Baal Strike Force (alternative to CAD in the BA dex) allows an extra elite slot, and grants an extra inititive on the charge!

Good catch - the list is compatible with both CAD and BSF, however i had a brain fart when writing is for the CAD and added 4 elites - simply swap the 2x 5 man THSS units for one 10 man unit, then combat squad them.

Ranged anti tank is lacking, the next step is to include some melta!

Hi SlangWhanger, no, I don't know about allying in attachments.. Would you need another hq choice or how does it work?

Basically you can take more than one detachment and call them allies, but all rules still apply for each detachment. For example I could take a combined arms detachment with 1 hq and 2 troops, and ally it with the Baal strike force. The compulsory options in the Baal is an HQ, 2 troops and an elite, so I still have to full all these criteria. Also these allied detachments don't have to be from the same codex, but there are rules for different armies not getting on with each other.

In your case you could take the archangels detachment with 1 hq and 2 elites, and ally in a combined arms with 1 hq and 2 troops. Alternatively you could use the flesh tearers strike force which requires one HQ, 1 troop and 1 fast attack. So you have the termis is in one detachment and the other goodies you want in the other, and they still benefit from each others rules because they are from the same codex.

Hope this helps!

If you want a terminator army, play grey Knights, they are much better at it. Doesn't matter how much you take advantage of formations and whatnot, they are just too slow to be effective against most armies, especially if you are using objectives.

Pretty sure if he wanted to play GK he/she'd be posting this in another forum :) As for the other point, things like that can be mitigated through Objective placement and even the mission at hand. I do agree that you'd want something else to do the Objective work...

Hi SlangWhanger, no, I don't know about allying in attachments.. Would you need another hq choice or how does it work?

Basically you can take more than one detachment and call them allies, but all rules still apply for each detachment. For example I could take a combined arms detachment with 1 hq and 2 troops, and ally it with the Baal strike force. The compulsory options in the Baal is an HQ, 2 troops and an elite, so I still have to full all these criteria. Also these allied detachments don't have to be from the same codex, but there are rules for different armies not getting on with each other.

In your case you could take the archangels detachment with 1 hq and 2 elites, and ally in a combined arms with 1 hq and 2 troops. Alternatively you could use the flesh tearers strike force which requires one HQ, 1 troop and 1 fast attack. So you have the termis is in one detachment and the other goodies you want in the other, and they still benefit from each others rules because they are from the same codex.

Hope this helps!

Just to add to this, I'd recommend finding a copy of the current (seventh edition) 40k rules and the latest Blood Angels Codex and having a read. There will be so many changes from when you last played and these will play a large factor in how you make your army.

Recently I wrote a guide on the Detachments available to our Faction. These days armies can be created in any number of ways and here's a handy diagram for it:

gallery_23369_1806_92051.jpg

If you decide to go down the multiple Detachments route you will require a second HQ choice, with Slangwhanger detailing one method above. By placing your Terminators into the Archangels Strike Force Detachment they roll one less D6 when arriving via Deep Strike (generally you place a Terminator on the table and roll a scatter dice + 2D6. If an arrow is rolled, move the chap to that spot and place the rest of the squad around him in concentric circles).

Alternatively, you could form all your Terminators into one of our Formations called the Archangels Orbital Intervention Force. The bonuses here are that you make one Reserves Roll for the Formation (ordinarily you roll for each unit in Reserves) and when they arrive they can Run then Shoot that turn (this is not normally permitted). Additionally you wont require a second HQ for this to work but your TDA Librarian wont be able to benefit from the special rules here and as such I think he'd have to arrive from Deep Strike by himself (not necessarily a good idea).

So it's up to you.

Other than that, the Executioner's Hood is only worth it if you are fighting Tyranids and welcome back thumbsup.gif

Thanks Jolemai this is really useful! I have a new blood angels codex and yer can already seen there have been some big changes.. Yer, want to play blood Angels because I like the minis and the fluff, and I like termies as when I started back in rogue trader I just loved the way they looked and they were the bees knees! Wanting to paint up this box of space Hulk and use them.. Ok, will see if I can try to make 2 derangement a, I'm sure it is possible!! Will keep people informed!

Archived