Any experience taking a small Grey Knight allied force?

Ipos

I saw someone asking about it on reddit though he didn't get a lot of responses and it got me thinking too.

Anyone have any experience mixing grey knights with ravenwing?

With the bikes having scout and teleporter homers you can pretty much shove a group on GKs in your opponents face on turn one (with NSF) leaving your speeders and black knights free to wreck havoc for a little while, plus more psychic die are always fun.

I also feel that fast moving grav and melta would compliment Grey Knights greatly.

Nobody plays the Knights in my meta so I think it could be a really fun thing to do, but I am only vaguely aware of how they work.

Thoughts?

I did that twice. My opponents were a bit shocked how close you can get in the first round.

Not such a bad idea, but it depends a bit if you want get close. You will not be able to charge in close combat, so you might be charged by your opponent.

... got charged by Khârn, guess how that ended.cry.gif

I've used Grey Knights alongside Sisters of Battle and Inquisitorial retinue. A mystic in a chimera can do a lot to put your terminators exactly where you want them, which can be a great asset. Melta and plasma - and las, and missiles - all help the Knights to do their job, and the Knights significantly boost the psychic potential of your army. It's a good setup.

Add Draigo and a small squad of shooty Paladins, and you will have a nice Deathstar that's better than anything that we can add for the points (I'm looking at you Deathwing ;) ) With Gate of Infinity they can jump around and put shooting hurt on something then punch it next round.

Add Draigo and a small squad of shooty Paladins, and you will have a nice Deathstar that's better than anything that we can add for the points (I'm looking at you Deathwing msn-wink.gif ) With Gate of Infinity they can jump around and put shooting hurt on something then punch it next round.

May I ask how many points that should make? I'm also curious which army you can mix with DA to maximise it's strenghts or compensate it's weaknesses.

I like to stay under 1/3 of the total points available for allies, so max of about 600points for normal games.   But it depends on what you want to achieve and the mix you like, you might like half and half or just a token ally unit. The beauty of 7th is try stuff and see.

Try this out

Ravenwing Attack Squad-370

6 bikes, 2 gravity-guns, and attack bike with multi-melta

Landspeeder Veangence with assault cannon

Librarius Conclave-425

Ezekiel

Librarian, terminator armour, storm bolter, level 2 and conversion field

Librarian, terminator armour, storm bolter, level 2 and conversion field

Nemesis Strike Force-1202

Librarian, level 3, storm bolter and Domina Libre Daemonica

Librarian l, level 3, storm bolter and Cuirass of Sacrifice

10 man terminator squad- 2 psycannons, 2 hammers and 6 halberds

5 man purifier squad- 2 incinerators, 3 halberds in Razorback with assault cannons and storm bolter

Nemesis Dreadknight- heavy psycannon and heavy incinerator

Fortification- 70

Aegis Defence Line- comms relay

1997 points and D6+18 warp charges

Put ezek in the razzorback and one GK and one DA librarian in each combat squad of terminators. If you trust your luck for turn one reserves you can drop the ADL for a teleporter on the NDK. Pretty leather combo. I've run versions of this at different points levels, even going high enough to have 33 warp charges.

If you're taking GK for Ravenwing allies it's all about the Dreadknights rather than the Terminators. They can mostly keep up with your bikes (and in one turn outstrip them with a 30" shunt), bring some interesting guns (Heavy Incinerator / Gatling Psilencer) that complement Grav/Melta, and can punch at S10 AP2 Force at I4

After that for the Nemesis Strike Force, you need a mandatory HQ and Troops choice. The HQ will almost always be the Librarian, and can be a good fit in either a GK Terminator or Deathwing squad giving a few utility powers on Santic- Gate of Infinity (teleport), Hammerhand (+2S for DW), Sanctuary (+1 Invul) and with Cleansing Flame (Nova shooting attack) and Vortex of Doom (Strength D Blast) as nice bonuses.

Lvl3 + Liber relic gives four powers on the Santic table, make him your warlord for a chance of five total powers.

If you want to run the GK Librarian with Deathwing Terminators, then you'll probably want a min squad of Strikes as the mandatory troops choice. Otherwise, pick 5-10 GK Terminators.

Either way you'll ideally want Gate, and you'll use that to deep strike your GK/DW on to the back of your Ravenwing Homers.

You can also take Draigo (Lord of War) for guaranteed Gate as an option.

I tried using the Grey Knights at a local event so I got to try the same army 3 games in a row. Here's what I brought (as best as I can remember)

ML 2 Liby (terminator)

Int Chap (terminator)

DW Knights

2 X tacs

RWBK

Dark shroud

Draigo

ML 3 liby

2 X Nemisis Dreadknights (various weapons)

Strike squad

I ran my DW Knights + the 4 ICs as a mega death star and for the most part it was insanely brutal. I used my GK liby to fish for invisibility and got it all 3 rounds. Nothing I got in to CC with survived and often times it felt like I was nuking ant hills. The problem was, I took Draigo to hate around but it really felt like a waste because your not charging afterwards and the unit only had 2 stormbolters for shooting. In one game, gating really helped and it was only because I split the unit and gated half of it to a second objective. I really don't feel the Dreadknights earned their keep either. I know the mantra is they are the best GK unit but I found they died too quickly and didn't kill enough to earn their spot. I would have been better off with equal points in bikes. Over all it was a fun army, just much too limited.

I've run them a couple of times they can be very effective

Nemesis strike Force

2 DreadKnights (jump)

Grand Master Librarian with Libra Demonica

Purifiers

The Librarian with book upgrade goes with a bunch of Deathwing Knights if you get gate (likely) you can pinpoint within 6 of the bikes who all have teleport homers

Unlike Deep Striking you can't intercept as they started on the table

With Teleport homers they all have to be in Terminator armour, anyways add a DA Librarian to the mix for some Interomancy fun and Draigo if you wish or an inquisitor in Terminator Armour quite a thematic Purge the Fallen list.

I used Attack Bikes last Time I tried this and added a DarkShroud to stop people overwatching, it could really do with a Biomancy guy in there though for some FNP it seems to work better with 2 Librarians

The purifiers come down in a drop pod and do what purifiers do combat squad spam Cleansing flame then cook something then die

Deathwing Knights with Hammerhand and Sanctuary - mmmm Niceeee

The Librarian with book upgrade goes with a bunch of Deathwing Knights if you get gate (likely) you can pinpoint within 6 of the bikes who all have teleport homers

Unlike Deep Striking you can't intercept as they started on the table

Some people may interpret that differently. The rules for Deep Strike essentially state Deep Strike=Deep Strike Reserve, and it's that wording that allows you to Gate to Teleport Homers. Some people might also argue that you should be able to Intercept from Gate because of that wording.

As always with the 40K rules in the state they're in, discuss with your play group

Interceptor

"At the end of the enemy Movement phase, a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from Reserve within its range and line of sight."
Teleport Homer
"Friendly units composed entirely of models in Terminator armour do not scatter when they Deep Strike, so long as the first model is placed within 6" of the teleport homer’s bearer."

All Gate does is say use the rules for Deep Strike and doesn't touch the R word and teleport Homers don't mention the R word either ?

Maybe your reading / thinking from a previous edition? I know some rules have been tidied up and changed over the versions

I've had Tau players go into meltdown over the specific wording of Interceptor but its clear and unambiguous A/ You have to be able to see the Target and B/ It has to have come from reserve to intercept.

To me, the best reason to ally GK into any force is as daemon summoning spam insurance, meaning you take a GKL and 5 strikes. 

Taking GKT over Deathwing is kind of naff, in my mind, Deathwing have tons of synergies with Ravenwing and special rules that non-DA termies just simply lack...not convinced going GK is worth it just to drop on turn one with inferior terminators (oh, yeah, they are inferior ever since melee weapons got AP values assigned!).  There is no way, in my mind, that GKTs dropping within 6" of an RWAS on turn one is better than DWKs dropping within 12" on turn two...or how about a tactical terminator squad dropping within 12" on turn 2.  Cyclone pointed at rear armor?  That's a lot easier to achieve with a 12" bubble on turn two than it is to get that GK hobo autocannon there on turn one...and wouldn't the DWSF version get to shoot and then run or run and then shoot, which the GKTs can't, they have to shoot or run? 

To me, the best reason to ally GK into any force is as daemon summoning spam insurance, meaning you take a GKL and 5 strikes. 

Taking GKT over Deathwing is kind of naff, in my mind, Deathwing have tons of synergies with Ravenwing and special rules that non-DA termies just simply lack...not convinced going GK is worth it just to drop on turn one with inferior terminators (oh, yeah, they are inferior ever since melee weapons got AP values assigned!).  There is no way, in my mind, that GKTs dropping within 6" of an RWAS on turn one is better than DWKs dropping within 12" on turn two...or how about a tactical terminator squad dropping within 12" on turn 2.  Cyclone pointed at rear armor?  That's a lot easier to achieve with a 12" bubble on turn two than it is to get that GK hobo autocannon there on turn one...and wouldn't the DWSF version get to shoot and then run or run and then shoot, which the GKTs can't, they have to shoot or run? 

no. The Grey Knights can run and shoot turn 1. They also bring Dread Knights, more warp charges, instant death on their melee (Force), cheaper (I think, still haven't got the codex), and if your roll well on your librarian increased survivability. IMO Deathwing does nothing that the Grey Knights can't do better.

no. The Grey Knights can run and shoot turn 1. They also bring Dread Knights, more warp charges, instant death on their melee (Force), cheaper (I think, still haven't got the codex), and if your roll well on your librarian increased survivability. IMO Deathwing does nothing that the Grey Knights can't do better.

1.  Ok, they can run and shoot, did not remember that.

2.  Dreadknights are not the topic...why not throw in purifiers, I wasn't comparing those, either, just termie to termie.

3.  Warp charges are relevant if and only if you are trying to contest the psychic phase, in which case DA is probably not a top five army.  (If you're allying in GK for warp charges, you probably want to just play GK in the first place)

4.  Force...yeah...still have to wound, and completely irrelevant against 98% of the models on the tabletop because, well, one wound.  I'll take S6 or S8 (depending on the weapon) over force, thanks!

5.  Cheaper (if true, I'll bust out both codexes when I get home tonight)...for a reason.  Everyone else's terminators crush them head to head.

6.  If you roll well on your librarian.  Hope is not a plan!

6.  Deathwing does nothing better?  How about penetrating AV14?  How about melee against walkers?  Melee against other terminators (AP2 plus storm shields...game over)?  Surviving plasma fire (with storm shields)?  Surviving small arms torrenting (with T5 on knights)?  I think the list of what Deathwing does better is far longer than the list of what GKTs do better.

/edit/

by the way, my "best reason to take GK allies" (daemon summoning spam insurance) is completely trumped by a culexus.  The problem with the culexus is keeping him alive and mobile.  For my IG, that means putting him in a valkyrie or vendetta, which is then 'game over' for invisible deathstars and daemon spammers, but I haven't figured out a straightforward way to get him into my DA list in a fast and survivable vehicle, so I'm still doing the GKL+5strikes thing for DA...doesn't help against invisistars (I end up pinning them down with deathwing knights, so they spend 5 turns killing 235 points), but it sure helps with daemons, and the GKL can take a different psychic discipline if there are no daemons to deal with.

Except Deathwing Knights, the guy who's models I occasionally borrow looks wistfully at them

Adding stuff like hammerhand to s6 maces sanctuary to 3+ storm Shields, a 10 point buff for adementium will with the GK libby re-rolls 1's coupled with hammerhand you can make them s10 & thier weapon skill 5 base not to mention HOW concussive & prescicion strike.

Interceptor

"At the end of the enemy Movement phase, a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from Reserve within its range and line of sight."
Teleport Homer
"Friendly units composed entirely of models in Terminator armour do not scatter when they Deep Strike, so long as the first model is placed within 6" of the teleport homer’s bearer."

All Gate does is say use the rules for Deep Strike and doesn't touch the R word and teleport Homers don't mention the R word either ?

Maybe your reading / thinking from a previous edition? I know some rules have been tidied up and changed over the versions

I've had Tau players go into meltdown over the specific wording of Interceptor but its clear and unambiguous A/ You have to be able to see the Target and B/ It has to have come from reserve to intercept.

From the GK codex “Friendly units composed entirely of models in Terminator armour (including the Cuirass of Sacrifice) and/or models with a personal teleporter do not scatter when arriving from Deep Strike Reserve, so long as the first model is placed within 6" of the teleport homer’s bearer. For this to work, the bearer must have been on the battlefield at the start of the turn.”

40K Rulebook - Deep Strike, sometimes written as Deep Strike Reserve

Interceptor

Teleport Homer

From the GK codex “Friendly units composed entirely of models in Terminator armour (including the Cuirass of Sacrifice) and/or models with a personal teleporter do not scatter when arriving from Deep Strike Reserve, so long as the first model is placed within 6" of the teleport homer’s bearer. For this to work, the bearer must have been on the battlefield at the start of the turn.”

40K Rulebook - Deep Strike, sometimes written as Deep Strike Reserve

The rulebook actually says that DS=DSR?  Interesting!  That means that GoI can use telehomers, but also can be targeted by interceptors.

The rulebook actually says that DS=DSR?  Interesting!  That means that GoI can use telehomers, but also can be targeted by interceptors.

I don't think that DS=DSR. 

When you put your units in reserve you have to tell your opponent which unit will be Deep Striking, which will Outflank and which will come as normal reserve. You can use interceptor for all reserves. DS is just the rule how you deploy them.

2.  Dreadknights are not the topic...why not throw in purifiers, I wasn't comparing those, either, just termie to termie.

3.  Warp charges are relevant if and only if you are trying to contest the psychic phase, in which case DA is probably not a top five army.  (If you're allying in GK for warp charges, you probably want to just play GK in the first place)

4.  Force...yeah...still have to wound, and completely irrelevant against 98% of the models on the tabletop because, well, one wound.  I'll take S6 or S8 (depending on the weapon) over force, thanks!

5.  Cheaper (if true, I'll bust out both codexes when I get home tonight)...for a reason.  Everyone else's terminators crush them head to head.

6.  Deathwing does nothing better?  How about penetrating AV14?  How about melee against walkers?  Melee against other terminators (AP2 plus storm shields...game over)?  Surviving plasma fire (with storm shields)?  Surviving small arms torrenting (with T5 on knights)?  I think the list of what Deathwing does better is far longer than the list of what GKTs do better.

/edit/

by the way, my "best reason to take GK allies" (daemon summoning spam insurance) is completely trumped by a culexus.  The problem with the culexus is keeping him alive and mobile.  For my IG, that means putting him in a valkyrie or vendetta, which is then 'game over' for invisible deathstars and daemon spammers, but I haven't figured out a straightforward way to get him into my DA list in a fast and survivable vehicle, so I'm still doing the GKL+5strikes thing for DA...doesn't help against invisistars (I end up pinning them down with deathwing knights, so they spend 5 turns killing 235 points), but it sure helps with daemons, and the GKL can take a different psychic discipline if there are no daemons to deal with.

Dread Knights are a part of the conversation considering the root of which is Grey Knights as allies for Ravenwing over DeathWing. Dread Knights is a perk in their favor.

DW Knights are baller but are expensive, suffer from no range and no great way to get around the board and into CC. Grey Knights are cheaper, bring utility, warp points for telepathy, interromancy, anything else you are running, and do everything a Bike based army would want.

Really if you are deadset on DW thats great. but this likly isn't the topic for you.

/edit/

Dread Knights are a part of the conversation considering the root of which is Grey Knights as allies for Ravenwing over DeathWing. Dread Knights is a perk in their favor.

DW Knights are baller but are expensive, suffer from no range and no great way to get around the board and into CC. Grey Knights are cheaper, bring utility, warp points for telepathy, interromancy, anything else you are running, and do everything a Bike based army would want.

Really if you are deadset on DW thats great. but this likly isn't the topic for you.

I'm not saying it's illegal to throw dreadknights into your post (hell, it's your thead...but it might have made more sense if you put it in the original post, instead of introducing it later in the laundry list you threw at me when I failed to agree with you), I'm saying you're talking past me if you do so, it doesn't address anything I'm talking about, which is odd in the context that you were clearly intending to refute my preference for organic terminators over allies.  Anyway, I'd be more attracted to the stormraven.

235 is not really expensive, especially for what they do.  Now, 165 for a naked GKT squad is cheap...but then, it has stormbolters and force swords...AP3 is not what I expect from my terminators, but if I did, I'd take lightning claws over force swords any day of the week.  

And what is this complaint that DWK don't have stormbolters? I wasn't aware that ravenwing suffered from a shortage of bolter fire...

I notice the complaint that DWK are slow after their initial deepstrike.  The same could be said of GKTs...unless you get them gate, in which case they most certainly are NOT cheaper than DWK, and you still have to sit a turn before assaulting after you jump, unless you just jump around shooting ridiculously expensive stormbolters...

Again, the warp charge you get from the GKT is of marginal utility if you aren't going all crazy on the psychic phase...and if you are, DA is probably not the army for you.

What exactly does a GKT squad do for a bike army that DWK doesn't?

?? Really??  If I don't think GKTs are the best support option for RW, this thread is not for me?  As in, you only want people to tell you it's a great idea, no dissent is wanted?  Perhaps you might do better to stand in front of a mirror and give yourself a rousing pep talk if you only want your own ideas parroted back at you, we're not here to tell you how awesome you are.  Perhaps the true point of this thread was to brag about how clever you were to think up the idea of combining RW and GK, and actual debate was never part of the plan?

I don't think that DS=DSR. 

When you put your units in reserve you have to tell your opponent which unit will be Deep Striking, which will Outflank and which will come as normal reserve. You can use interceptor for all reserves. DS is just the rule how you deploy them.

You are wrong. I'm also wrong.  I was unsure myself, since I don't use gate of infinity.  So I did the unthinkable, and read the rule book.  The rules for deepstrike explicitly say that deep strike is interchangeable with deepstrike reserve (as reported by Bartali).  Furthermore, the rules for gate of infinity tell you to remove the models from the board before deepstriking them.  it then "immediately arrives" using the rules for deepstrike (which is equal to deepstrike reserve).  Clearly, the gating unit arrives from reserves via deepstrike.  But not in the movement phase.  Since the psychic phase is after the movement phase, and the interceptor rule allows the out of sequence shooting at the end of the movement phase, interceptors don't get to shoot units arriving from reserves in the psychic phase.  That's the part I was wrong about.  However, they are arriving by deepstrike from reserves, so they do get to use telehomers.

Archived