Newbie Question about Demi Co Special Rules

Malakai

So yeah just updated my rulebooks and codexes. Getting to know...and liking the rules for detachments and formations. You guys do realize we're playing Epic with 28mm models right? Suits me fine. I loved that game.

Anyway, I'm doing a mostly Green-wing army. I'm starting out with a Demi-Company and will eventually use a Lion's Blade once my collection has reached that level (lots of Razorbacks to buy!) The question I have is about the Objective Secured special rule in the Demi-Company list. As far as I can tell only a CAD Troop choice has the Objective Secured special rule. But why even put it in the list entry if none of the units in the formation have that rule? I know I'm missing something. I just started reading the main rules and it's been years since I've played a game (5th edition actually) so to say I'm rusty is a vast understatement. Maybe I'm not understanding the Formation rules fully.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In a CAD, only troop choices get Objective Secured. In the Demi Company, all units get Objective secured. That's all there is to it. Think of it as a bonus/incentive for playing a nice fluffy little demi-company.

Also note that a demi company is part of the Lion's Blade so you only need one Aux choice to gain the full special rules. That can be as little as a scout squad.

A full battle company (made up of two demi company) is what gets the free transports. This can also be a part of the Lion's Blade.

OK so if I'm playing 2 Demi companies and 2 auxiliaries, the Lions Blade. I get the free transports (per Lions blade) and all units taken as part of the core (Demi Company) still receive and maintain the Objective Secured special rule correct? Am I right in believing that detachments that are part of a formation still retain all of their special rules in addition to the Formation's special rules?

In a CAD, only troop choices get Objective Secured. In the Demi Company, all units get Objective secured. That's all there is to it. Think of it as a bonus/incentive for playing a nice fluffy little demi-company.

theres nothing nice about a single demi-company its a bunch of units with no collective threat generation even as a collective, and a gimmick your barely going to ever use because the last time someone decided to bring CC heavy units in a 40k game was 5th edition

theres nothing nice about a single demi-company its a bunch of units with no collective threat generation even as a collective, and a gimmick your barely going to ever use because the last time someone decided to bring CC heavy units in a 40k game was 5th edition
There will always be assaults in a 40 K game, specially at non competitive level. I don't know where you play but I gave orks, khorne berserkers, and other assault units so the demi company rules still holds value to me and I am sure, many others.

Yeah, that is insane. Close combat has not been marginalized, even with the proliferation of Str D weapons; many of which are large/massive blasts, so being "danger close" to the enemy will make them hesitant to target you because there is a 2-in-3 chance the template will be scattering somewhere along their own battle line. And shooting only makes the enemy test Morale at base value (good luck breaking most unit's that way), but close combat piles on pentalties and can result in sweeping advance wipeouts...quite often on the enemy's turn....setting you up to then shoot/assault again in your own upcoming turn.  Shooting offers nothing comparable to killing the enemy brutally in their own turn (though the new DA Lion's Blade Overwatch at full BS comes close).  Also, shooting doesn't take objectives.  If you only play games where you don't use much intermediary terrain, or where you just line up your models and blast away, yeah, shooting is king, but do people really play that way? Nobody I know does. The shooty and choppy parts of mini and full Battle Companies can be built such that they are both dangerous, yet complimentary to and supportive of one another.

Archived