Calth and the Fallen

VorpalPoolNoodle

Like many I have recently received my Betrayal at Calth set and of course my first thoughts have been on using all that lovely Heresy era armor to make Fallen.

However, there's something that doesn't quite jive there, for me. As I understand it, Dark Angels favored MkII and III and MkIV was a recent addition at the outset of the Heresy. Caliban probably wouldn't have received a supply of it, cut off as it was. The Lion's forces might possibly have received a supply but I don't see it being widespread.

Is there any evidence of DA on Caliban getting MkIV armor? Does it matter?

Is there any evidence of DA on Caliban getting MkIV armor? Does it matter?

Yes there is evidence! I've been re-reading Fallen Angels by Mike Lee to get pumped for Betrayal at Cal(iban), and Zahariel makes a report on the number of new Mk IV suits that have been manufactured in the last year. When I get home tonight I'll find the page reference. So, while Mks II and III are very much the classic image for DA, they certainly had and used IV as well. 

This is the quote in question:

“I am also pleased to report that the Techmarines have certified two thousand suits of power armour, a hundred new suits of Tactical Dreadnought armour and two hundred of the new Thyrsis-pattern jump packs for shipment to the fleet from the forges.”

Excerpt From: Mike Lee. “Fallen Angels.” iBooks.

I also did a search in my eBook for "power armour", and there is no reference to Mk IV, I'm afraid.

When they arrived at Caliban the 1st Legion had mk4 in Descent of Angels.

Reference? Edit: I'm not challenging, I really want to know so that when other people say that they didn't have Mk4, I can give them the info.

Dug out my copy of Descent and there is mention of Mk IV armor being used by multiple marines during the Saroshi incident on page 391 (paperback). This would also mean troops would have been equipped with it before being sent back to Caliban. That's good enough for me to have both loyalists and Fallen in MK IV.

Dug out my copy of Descent and there is mention of Mk IV armor being used by multiple marines during the Saroshi incident on page 391 (paperback). This would also mean troops would have been equipped with it before being sent back to Caliban. That's good enough for me to have both loyalists and Fallen in MK IV.

:tu: Awesome, Imhotep! :thanks:

“I am also pleased to report that the Techmarines have certified two thousand suits of power armour, a hundred new suits of Tactical Dreadnought armour and two hundred of the new Thyrsis-pattern jump packs for shipment to the fleet from the forges.”

I also did a search in my eBook for "power armour", and there is no reference to Mk IV, I'm afraid.

As Jeff says, there must be something weird going on between the print and digital versions, because here's my print version of that same quote:

gallery_85662_10963_495301.jpg

The 1st Legion have always been one for secrets and multiple versions of the truth haha. But hey, if it means I can use the new plastic minis, I'll take whatever justification I can!

As Jeff says, there must be something weird going on between the print and digital versions, because here's my print version of that same quote:

The 1st Legion have always been one for secrets and multiple versions of the truth haha. But hey, if it means I can use the new plastic minis, I'll take whatever justification I can!

For what it's worth - it's in my ePub version.  Chapter Two - third paragraph.    

I am also pleased to report that the Magos Logistum has certified two thousand suits of new Mark IV armour, a hundred new suits of Tactical Dreadnought armour ...  ( would this be the current mk of TDA? )

I also think a we should be careful when referencing info from Fallen Angels as canon or we regress back to the whole  Astellan Chaos worms on Terra confusion again.  :tu:

Hey, if it turns out that DA didn't have MKIV armor at that time, you can always say they're alpha legion masquerading as DA...which would actually be a really good explanation for the fallen, now that I think about it...it's a really big Alpha Legion deception operation ohmy.png

JeffJedi is correct. Laurie Goulding is the source, from The First Expedition forums. In essence, the writing and editing teams tightened down the timeline somewhat. As a result, a few of the ePubs were edited in subsequent "editions". Some of the changes involved dates; Descent of Angels, for instance, originally referenced the Lion being found a mere 50 years prior to the Heresy, but that has since been removed and now the time of his discovery is a century or so prior to Horus Rising. The removal of a reference to Mk IV power armour on Caliban was probably a byproduct of those efforts. Honestly, it makes sense.

That having been said, I would never tell someone that they can't use that mark for Fallen. There is almost always room for a good idea, and even if the Fallen didn't have access to Mk IV power armour prior to the destruction of Caliban one can imagine viable reasons for some of them getting it later. Remember, for instance, that Talon of Horus makes reference to Fallen warships visiting a "neutral ground" world in the Eye of Terror that is under the protection of Iron Warriors and is visited by various factions of the Traitor Legions. Perhaps such suits of armour were gained via trade, or in exchange for mercenary work?

It makes sense that newer suits would be made on Caliban with all the changes to the planet. Maybe the newer recruits got the new armor while the older, far flung marines kept their battle tested suits.

The revised timeline makes more sense for three reasons.

1. The Lion would have to had been around before Lorgar went bad. Otherwise there is almost no time to meet and interact with the other Primarchs.

2. Why would Robute be impressed to meet a Primarch that came after him? He clearly saw him as an older brother to look up to.

3. How could the Lion have the 2nd most victories after Horus in 1/4 of the time? That makes the others look really bad.

I really don't see how the Lion being around longer would have any impact on whether they got MK IV armor as long as the return to Caliban and betrayal happen at the same points in history. As the first legion, they would have been allocated at least some, even if Horus was trying to keep the majority for his traitors.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to point out that the quote says that they are "transferring to" the fleets. This means they're manufacturing the armour on Caliban. Even if mkIV has been removed due to some dates changing, it would stand to reason that once the dates catchup, the ability to manufacture would still be there.

Cheers,

Jono.

As an aside, I've two sets of BaC, and I've purchased six of the plastic DA upgrade frames, and they go together so nicely, the little variance in shoulder pads doesn't detract at all.

Archived