Putting the Iron back in Iron Hands!

Tyrial

With everyone jumping back on the whole Horus Heresy hype train, I finally made the plunge, came out of retirement and got some MkIII dudes, just because y'know, they're feckin' badass!

Decided to go with Iron Hands and not gonna lie, the immortals are soley responsible for this decision, because y'know...

Anyways, I also decided to take painitng this army seriously for once as I've now moved a few thousand miles away from my old gaming buddies and have nothing else to do, lol. So, alas this will be my first build / paint log.

I've made a deal with the misses that I will only order a few units at time and I'm not allowed to order any more until they're painted, lol.

And ofc, C&C is always welcome, especially constructive criticism, always looking to improve.

The goodies...

http://i.imgur.com/Dmhr45a.png

My first attempt at painting. Wanted to make them be as "Iron" as I could possibly make them without crossing too much into Iron Warriors territory and I love metallics so went with dark TMM armour rather than the typical black and decided on redish mud / dirt to give a nice contrast. Sorry for the pic quality, all I have is a phone and rather bad lighting. What you think?

EDIT: Better lighting and more colour accurate pic etc etc

http://i.imgur.com/68kV67J.png

Peace!

Uh, yes please? Although I usually like my Iron Hands black as midnight, these guys could very much work with a darker shade of metal on them. I see you've not lost your painting skill in your retirement and a set of Immortals is certainly what I would want if I ever retire and then get back into the hobby. Let me break this down, if I may?

Base

I see that you're going for a high iron-oxide rich soil here. That's a perfect fit for your colours. Some colours would bleed away but not metallics- they can handle most colours well. Maybe not pure white but I digress. Now, here's the question: did you just lazily paint the foot and shield with some brown and call it quits or did you place sand and grit on them and then add colour to make it appear like mud? Remember: when doing mud, liberal amounts of gloss ('ardcoat for Citadel Paints) are needed for that wet look.

Right now it looks like the colour you've chosen is doing all the work. I'd suggest base coating the base in a dark brown and then lighten it until you're satisfied. Around places where dry mud preside is where the lighter colour should be used. You're close to almost there msn-wink.gif.

Shield

Not much of it seen but it looks like it got used to prop him up or slammed into the mud so that he could knife a traitor in the abdomen for defying the Emperor. Either way, it looks good but it needs some help. There's no splatter on that shield, Marine! We're in it to mess this son of a grox up with mud (I must confess that I have a thing for mud)! What we have on this shield is a line of mud. It's very thematic but we'll make it shine. Obtain for yourself one used toothbrush (barring that, use your wife's no.gif) and follow me to the next line down.

With your used toothbrush, dip it in your basecoat layer of mud. Got it loaded? Excellent. Now, it's a good idea to practice this on a piece of paper or something first but, take the loaded toothbrush and run your finger very quickly across the bristles at the model in a flicking motion. We call this flinging dirt. Anyway, do that until you're not exactly satisfied with the result. As painters, we don't see that what weathering we have on a model is enough until it's too much. To remedy this, stop when you don't want to stop- about half-way through. Make sure you get it all over that shield; less at the top and more towards the bottom. Also, make sure you flick from bottom of the shield to the top. You want the most dirt on the bottom.

Model

Ok, I'll be honest and say I don't know what TMM is. Does it stand for "True Metallic Metal"? If so, go me for getting that right biggrin.png! Your Iron Hand looks great, as said before. In my opinion, he needs to be darker. Much darker. The Iron Hands are black for a reason, an oily black, but a black, nonetheless. If there is a wash you could make him more dark, like, closer to black, and still have that oily sheen, I'd be the first to shake your hand.

How to do this: well I have no idea. I go from a dark grey and shade them close to a black as I see fit. The shading gives them that oily sheen. I would guess that you could seal the model with gloss sealant, use a technique called line shading, or some-such title, and also wash the iron-painted armour panels with an oil paint-specifically black oil paint. Using those two techniques will get you very far indeed, Grasshopper. After the oil paint is dry, seal the model with matte varnish and carry on painting the details.

In summation, you have a great talent for painting, even after retirement. I hope to see you make my Chapter proud. Legion-wise, I'm against you with the Death Guard but 40k-wise, I also play the Iron Hands. Just because we're opposite Legions doesn't mean we can't be friends laugh.png!

Cheers smile.png!

wow, thanks for the advice man! appreciated.

definetely going to try the toothbrush technique n also add a little gloss in future! I took a picture in better light this afternoon which shows what the model actually looks like! see OP!

I understand your die hard love for the black armour, but it was an artistic choice to have the power armour be metallic and then have any large panels such as shields / termi shoulder pads and all vehicles being the oily black you speak off to give an overall black effect but still have the depth I desire.

Looks fantastic Tyrial! Have been drooling over breacher squads for a while now, they look great with that paint job.

Good idea to only get a few squads at a time too and then paint them up to justify more... I should maybe try that tongue.png

wow, thanks for the advice man! appreciated.

definetely going to try the toothbrush technique n also add a little gloss in future! I took a picture in better light this afternoon which shows what the model actually looks like! see OP!

I understand your die hard love for the black armour, but it was an artistic choice to have the power armour be metallic and then have any large panels such as shields / termi shoulder pads and all vehicles being the oily black you speak off to give an overall black effect but still have the depth I desire.

As long as you get that I love black, we're alright laugh.png! I was just giving you an option for an emergency "Just in Case, Break Glass for Black" box. Carry on with your ways, good Tyrial. Carry on.

Ok, now I see all the goodness with the metal. That proves you may have artistic license over anything you'd like. Actually, you're the first or second person that's actually taken advice and not just thrown it down the toilet or have been hurt by it. Thanks for that smile.png!

Keep up the great work thumbsup.gif!

I too like the gritty look.. sure beats the 2000 year old warriors that are in pristine condition :P.

Two points of criticism:

1. perhaps add a wash or some low/highlights to the mud on the shield as it look rather flat on the shield. It could just be the photo lighting but thats how it appears.

2. The dirt and grime on the shields appear to surround the bottom of the iron hands logo but never covers it which looks rather odd to me personally. again maybe its just the view / photo quality / lights reflection but thats sort of what I'm seeing.

Regardless, the models look great! looking forward to seeing whats next.

Archived