Lion Guard, DA Successors. Draft Backgroun

Zoatibix

Greetings, brothers.

With the BaC set my interest in 30/40K has been piqued once more.  I'm going to use the BaC models to start a DA Legion force that I can use as Consecrators. But I also have two DV DA sets kicking around plus several Rhinos, Dreads and Tac marines that most long time players of 40K just seem to collect by osmosis.

I am going to use the 'modern' DA models to create a DIY chapter that I can run along side the Contemptors in 40K.

I've started very roughly fleshing out their background starting with their views on The Hunt, etc.  NB This is very rough. but I wondered is it plausable.

The Lion Guard chapter have rich yellow armour with the veterans wearing black robes. To outsiders the lie is told that this is to honour the Dark Angels Legion.  The truth is that the Lion Guard wear it as a mark of shame for the burden of falsehood that the Unforgiven have put upon them.

Similar to the Angels of Absolution, the Lion Guard do not see themselves to be tainted with the sin of betrayal.  However, the act of continuing to cover up the existence of the Fallen is a deep stain upon their honour.  If the original Dark Angels had admitted the folly of their traitorous brothers, admitted it and sought attonement then honour could have been restored.

Instead, the Unforgiven have spun a lie across millennia and worse, acted against the interests of the God-Emperor to conceal the Hunt.

The Inner Circle of the Lion Guard have debated upon this matter at great length.  The do not believe that it would be right for them to reveal the presence of the Fallen, or the fact of the Betrayal.  That is an act for all the Unforgiven to undertake and/or they are not the ones who committed the original sin.

Further their meditations have led them to believe that while Lionel El'Johnson was a gifted man he was flawed in his actions after Caliban.  From this they have reasoned that they must continue to keep the secret of the Unforgiven but remain faithful to their duty to the God-Emperor and humanity.  If the lie were revealed at this stage many chapters would come under suspicion, gravely weakening the Imperium and putting at risk all that the Emperor continues to fight for from the Golden Throne.

The Fallen are seen as oathbreakers of the very worst kind.  The Lion Guard neither require or desire repentance from them.  Instead, on those occasions where they have trapped a member of the Fallen the traitor has been killed without quarter and their body dispatched back to The Rock.  This is much to the chagrin of the Dark Angels, of course.  To the Lion Guard the only way to cleanse the honour of the Legion and its successor chapters is to eliminate every last member of the Fallen.

Thus, they actively participate but in the Hunt but have been known to sacrifice their own lives in order to bring them down rather than risk exposure.  In less extreme cases they have mind wiped individuals or held them captive.

(I'm thinking that at one point the Lion Guard captured either an Inquisitor or member of the Eccelsiarchy (sp) who had learned of the Fallen but convinced them to alter their ways.  This person was kept prisoner but in discussion with the Chapter Master and Int-Chaplain debated at length.  Not for their own life but to bring the chapter back towards the Emperor's light.)

The majority of the other Unforgiven regard them with some suspicion yet are forced to acknowledge that the Lion Guard honour their oath to pursue the Fallen and conceal their shame.

Thank you.

Further their meditations have led them to believe that while Lionel El'Johnson was a gifted man he was flawed in his actions after Caliban.

Could you expand on this?

The Fallen are seen as oathbreakers of the very worst kind.  The Lion Guard neither require or desire repentance from them.

Interesting. Remember, while the Dark Angels despise the Fallen for their betrayal, they are nonetheless highly motivated to get them to repent in order to redeem their souls. This might be a rather transparent goal to us, and the background perhaps makes it difficult to buy into it, but consider the nature of the Warhammer 40k universe - eternal damnation at the hands of the Ruinous Powers is not just a matter of belief, but a known fact.

I wasn't a fan of Pandorax, but I thought C.Z. Dunn did very well in showing just why the Dark Angels would hold the renegade Corpulax in a different light from the Fallen: the former was just a turncoat, whereas the latter had been lied to by the true traitor - Luther. This distinction becomes even more powerful when you remember that the Fallen were primarily Calibanite recruits who had never even seen the Lion, and had almost certainly never fought in the Great Crusade as we think of it.

The bottom line being, if the Lion Guard are going to take on a drastically different - and more lethal - approach to the Hunt, you should probably elaborate more on why they view the Fallen differently. What is it that makes them worthy of death without redemption? I'm not saying there isn't a good answer to this, but I do think whatever you come up with could go a long way toward making this Chapter truly unique!

Thanks for the reply, Phoebus

You make a good point.  Humans did/still do all sorts of nasty things to people's 'temporary' physical shells in order to save their eternal souls.

The view of the LG is that the Fallen have had ten thousand years to realize that they were lied to.  To see what Chaos truly is. To accept what Luther was.

The Fallen could have banded together and fought against the enemies of Mankind, from outside the Imperium on some kind of redemptive crusade.  Particularly against Chaos - can you imagine if the Fallen were instead engaged in a shadow war against the machinations of the Alpha Legion?

Instead they seem to have spent their time actively plotting against and attacking the Imperium.

On the other side of the coin we have the Unforgiven who are guilty because of the cover up of the Fallen's existence.  (Now that we have loyalist of Traitor Legions and traitors of Loyalist legions I guess it is the cover up of the Traitor Dark Angels that has become the guilty secret.  One that has become darker as the Unforgiven have acted to hide it.)

As members of the Unforgiven the Lion Guard have inherited the Dark Angels' sin.  The original sin can only be expunged by the Fallen either repenting or being killed.  That sin hangs around the neck of all Unforgiven like a millstone, dragging them into further dishonour by disobeying orders, silencing folks who stumble upon the truth, etc.  This is less of a transgression than the outright betrayal by the Fallen but the Dark Angels have erred by spreading the stain to multiple successor chapters who had nothing to do with the events of Caliban.

Having themselves been put under that yoke, the Lion Guard are also pretty...angry...at the Dark Angels.  But they are oath bound to help their fellow Unforgiven with the Hunt and to maintain the secret.

This puts the souls of the Unforgiven (a couple of dozen loyal chapters) on the scales against those of the Fallen (a bunch of traitors who have shown not the slightest shred of remorse in ten millennia).

The Fallen have had enough time to repent.  Now they will simply be hunted and killed.  Their only mercy a swift death.

One issue i do have is that the Lion Guard see themselves as bound by the oaths of the Unforgiven.  This would necessitate them talking a vow of secrecy before knowing what they were agreeing to hide (which I guess is probably pretty standard) but then continuing to induct more Initiates into the Inner Circle.

How does that sound?

The Fallen could have banded together and fought against the enemies of Mankind, from outside the Imperium on some kind of redemptive crusade.  Particularly against Chaos - can you imagine if the Fallen were instead engaged in a shadow war against the machinations of the Alpha Legion?

It is still my believe that Cypher is doing just that. May Malak be with him. Oups.

Archived