First game coming up

Blackcadian

Hi all!

I've recently managed to "save" a Blood Angels / Flesh Tearers force and look to give it a whirl next week. I've been reading quite a bit lately and have a basic idea how the army works, but maybe you can give me some additional input.

Ideally I'd like to get a good feeling of how Blood Angels play, I'll probably be able to get 2 games in, from 1000 to 1500 points roughly.

All I know so far is to take a bunch of Death Company and hurl them at whatever you want dead. Take cover if possible and throw an independent character in for good measure.

Sanguinary Guard take out smaller units and will draw less fire.

A Sicaran is good. A dakka pred is good. Dreads and Tactical Squads are good but you need to deliver them.

I guess that's about it?

Here's the force I'm thinking of bringing:

Libby, jump pack => SG

Astaroth => DC

10x DC, 1 power fist, jump packs

5x SG, 2 swords, 2 axes

Furioso dread in a pod, heavy flamer, magna grapples, stormshard template thing smile.png

10x Tacticals, heavy flamer, flamer, pod

10x Tacticals, multi melter, melter, rhino

Sicaran, no sponsons

TriLas Predator

1500 Pts

The other units I have are Terminators (overcosted), Razorback (no idea what to put inside and how to use it), DC Dread / Cassor (no points left), TDA Libby, another pod and I could play the Furioso as a Librarian Dread.

I'll probably go against Necron (sigh) and possibly Chaos, Tyranids or Tau (double sigh).

Thanks guys! (A simple "yup" will do if I'm on the right path msn-wink.gif)

If you go against necrons make sure you hide your tough guys from any of his AP2 or they'll get wiped out.

Pray he does't take wraiths, they are a bloody nightmare to deal with, they're fast enough that it can be difficult to get the charge in with your DC and T5 3++ is a nightmare, also their whip things mean you lose you Initiative buff for charging. Also you rvehicles will probably get glanced to death pretty quick sharp.

You will annihilate CSM or Tyranids even with no Anti Air.

Tau - well , never played against them.

Your list looks pretty good though. Lots of threats that will be in your opponents face quickly making priority difficult.

Blood angels are masters of spearhead type roles. I would try to avoid the temptation of covering your whole line instead focusing on one flank. If you play maelstrom you're quick enough to bounce around taking objectives, and if not you can roll up their line pretty easily if you get that first savage charge in.

Probably better off using a priest with the sanguinary guard unless you have a specific plan in mind, the feel no pain and weapon skill is a lot more reliable. Also if you have a third pod, put the melta tac squad in it so you get two dropping on turn one, that way your furioso can cause some serious damage and your melta can hopefully pop something, which is a huge distraction to give your jump units chance to get up the board.

I'd split the DC into 2x5 man, although this doesnt really gel with Astorath.

Currently, 10 DC with Asty has a big SHOOT ME sign all over it. 2x 5 man units presents more threats. 

Over 250pts of character at this level also makes me wary, especially as neither of them are beatsticks.

With Asty, I'd take multiple DC units so he can jump between them when one gets killed.

A third drop pod will also allow you to get two on the first turn.

Thank you for your fast and great replies!

I'll add the 3rd pod - no idea why I didn't in first place what with the "uneven number" rule.

My plan with the Librarian with Jump Pack was more like "Sanguinary Powers are great" and also, I don't have a Sanguinary Priest (and the Libby also doesn't really have a jump pack) and I dislike proxying if I don't absolutely have to.

With what you and Xenith say, should I maybe just drop the Librarian and Asty, and instead use a Librarian Dread as my HQ? I could also add Cassor if I lose the Lascannon sponsons on the Predator giving me 3 Dreads which should be fun (although at least one would have to walk I guess). OK probably not such a good idea.

One more thing - I don't see the Combat Squads rule by the Death Company - therefore if I split the unit I'd have to drop either the Fragioso or the Sanguinary Guard, right?

Thank you for your fast and great replies!

I'll add the 3rd pod - no idea why I didn't in first place what with the "uneven number" rule.

My plan with the Librarian with Jump Pack was more like "Sanguinary Powers are great" and also, I don't have a Sanguinary Priest (and the Libby also doesn't really have a jump pack) and I dislike proxying if I don't absolutely have to.

With what you and Xenith say, should I maybe just drop the Librarian and Asty, and instead use a Librarian Dread as my HQ? I could also add Cassor if I lose the Lascannon sponsons on the Predator giving me 3 Dreads which should be fun (although at least one would have to walk I guess). OK probably not such a good idea.

One more thing - I don't see the Combat Squads rule by the Death Company - therefore if I split the unit I'd have to drop either the Fragioso or the Sanguinary Guard, right?

I'd deffo drop the HQs you have for a priest with Valours edge and the Veritas vitae if you can. The buffs he gives to the SG are reliable and not dispelable.

This gives you ap2 at initiative and the awesome ability of two warlord traits with rerolls from the rulebook strategic table. Possibility of move through cover and infiltrate on your jump units. Awesome.

Librarian dread in a pod is awesome too, big threat for the enemy.

Keep the Pred as it, it's strong with our fast engines.

As for elites slots - it's up to you, you could run the Baal Strike force giving you four elite slots allowing you to split the DC and the extra point of initiative on the charge, but you give up objective secured on your Tacs and pods, which which combat squadding is 6 obj sec units.

Hope this helps :) it's a solid lost so far though, very BA.

OK so the priest is our go to HQ I gather. Shame that there wasn't one included in the army deal. I'll take the Libby dread then, I'm really curious how effective he is on the battlefield.

Oh and swap to Baal Strike Force, looks like most of you prefer that one?

That definitely helps, thanks!

I like the elite slots it gives you seeing as we're so strong in that respect. And if you manage to charge rather than be charged, the +1I is handy (except against Necrons though who are generally low initiative).

Still do your best to get the charge though as Furious Charge is also very good on SG/DC.

Two 5-man squads of DC costs the same as one 10-man so you're okay there as long as you have the slots.

Archived