Nephilim fluff.

Ekim_Trub

Hi guys, looking for a little clarification regarding the fluff for the Nephilim Jetfighter.

Was the Nephilim around before M.40 but not used until the discovery of the Lionheart engine STC or was the STC that was found for the engine and Nephilim??

And in your opinion, is there anyway for another Chapter outwith the Unforgiven to possess a Nephilim (even if it meant not having the Lionheart engine) from a fluff perspective??

The fluff is not 100% clear on the subject. It seems that the Nephilim dates from the M40. An engine STC was found and DA adapted a still unknown fighter STC into the Nephilim using the discovered engine STC.

So, to answer your questions: what was discovered was not a fighter STC, but the Lionheart engine.

Yes, I believe it is possible that other Chapters have an archaic/proto Nephilim fighter without the DA engine. I believe the fighter structure is probably an Astartes Fighter STC, common enough to every Chapter, which was evolved into the Nephilim by the DA using better engines. So an outsider Chapter probably has worsevariants of the Nephilim, with some different structure and/or armament but sharing some similiarities.

The fluff is not 100% clear on the subject. It seems that the Nephilim dates from the M40. An engine STC was found and DA adapted a still unknown fighter STC into the Nephilim using the discovered engine STC.

So, to answer your questions: what was discovered was not a fighter STC, but the Lionheart engine.

Yes, I believe it is possible that other Chapters have an archaic/proto Nephilim fighter without the DA engine. I believe the fighter structure is probably an Astartes Fighter STC, common enough to every Chapter, which was evolved into the Nephilim by the DA using better engines. So an outsider Chapter probably has worsevariants of the Nephilim, with some different structure and/or armament but sharing some similiarities.

my theory is that the nephilim is a jerry rigged design essentially a relic plane that was taken apart and rebuilt using modern tech to be easy enough to repair and replace in the air fleet but built to house the new lionheart engine. 

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-BE/Xiphon-Pattern-Interceptor

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Space-Marine-Stormtalon-Gunship

my theory if like to table for review is that the nephilim came out of marrying the xiphon a legacy relic fighter that they perhaps had mountains of units sitting in mothballs aboard the rock that were deemed unserviceable and unuseable by the dark angels and married them with the stormtalon which they were probably using up till that point. the storm talon shares a number of things with the nephilim first amongst them being the central chassis as well as the engine housings this would have been perfect for the lionheart engine to fit in but it was likely deemed uncontrollable if you simply slapped the lionheart inside a stormtalon due to the thing servicing as a ground attack craft not an air superiority fighter, its not built for high altitude or for speed. the xiphon however is very much suited to this role and its likely where they got the wing design from. this would have offered the plan much more control over its increased speed, from there it really came down to picking the weapons they wanted and with the xiphons wings already being used for missles the relic blacksword stc seemed like a perfect fit is my guess.

as stated this is all speculation on my part and to me it makes sense, have current gen marine plane, have new engine that wont work in it, time to make a frankensteins monster from something theyve been keeping in cold storage because they had them lying around and getting the imperium to come up with a new design for them would have been more trouble then it would be worth

Thank you. Wanted to make sure there was a feasible excuse for my Chapter to field one (fluff-wise) as I wanted them to have a better looking fighter than the Stormtalon.

Will need to work on a bit fluff on the "Storm Hawk" now, lol.

Archived